This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do Games Suck Now a Days Or Am I just Older

#31PabloDuganheimPosted 1/28/2013 11:49:37 PM
I'm old enough to almost fart dust and I'm enjoying a ton of games out now and I've been playing since PONG came out back when dial up speed was how fast you could spin the rotary dial with your finger tips on a beefy 5# corded phone. My backlog is not getting any better either and most of them are damn good games. But maybe they do suck for you and that's obviously just your perspective and tastes. Nothing wrong with that. I'm having a lot of fun and it sucks you're not, but I do hope you find some games that make you enjoy gaming again. Or maybe it's just time to take a break from gaming for a while?
---
I, for one, welcome our new feral ghoul overlords!
(call me PD -it's easier)
#32chubbyfreshPosted 1/28/2013 11:58:58 PM
I'm gettin older now, 30 this year and i reckon that in the last decade, the quality of games has reached an amazing level. Games have gotten better and movies have gotten worse. I cant stand going to the movies nowadays but i do still like checking out the good new games...
#33DesulatedPosted 1/29/2013 12:00:58 AM(edited)
There were just as much ****ty games back then as there is today but kids these days can't really tell what's a good or bad game with the exception of pointing out the graphics.

Back then, one would wise up, even if it was just slightly, if they bought something crap (ie. a movie licensed game). But now, nope. The mainstream games have devolved to cater the whiny children who believe they are entitled to everything they set their eyes on with interest, and publishers will know how to rip them off until they finally grow up.

There are good games today, but they're more or less swamped out by the ones that kids always scream their panties off over.
---
"Command and Conquer 4 and Red Alert 3 sucking is the fault of Westwood."-Gaming King
League of Legends username: Lati0s
#34hiplockPosted 1/29/2013 12:05:06 AM
The quality isn't any worse today. Its just the games are easier. Especially with the rise of the internet its nearly impossible to get truly stuck in a video game. That kind of kills the sense of accomplishment we use to 20+ years ago. Even the crappy games could offer a good challenge.
#35crondizzlePosted 1/29/2013 12:11:15 AM(edited)
gaming has been dumbed down soo badly, its plain as day. the gaming industry has been taken over by corporate shareholders who know nothing about gaming, they treat gaming like it's a brand of Juice or mayonnaise, the only focus is minimizing costs and increasing profit. with 0 regard for actually making good games.

why do you think EVERY game that is somewhat successful gets a sequel? it's just liike Hollywood now, everything has to be safe. No ambition allowed. Just keep pumping out "Safe bets".

and we have this fanboy culture in gaming now, where everyone worships games even if they are disappointing. Hype and marketing is all that matters, quality doesn't.

Look at the word "Troll" you mention any single flaw with a game and this board will jump on you like an angry mob.

it's not "just you". Look at the facts and draw conclusions from them. Movies, music, gaming, all have been dumbed down.

dj___roll posted...

@matty549
I still don't get how Capcom is suddenly more greedy. They've constantly released ports and rehashes of games. Look at the SNES with 3 Street Fighter Games. Each at $70 a pop at release and with little to separate them. This is what Capcom had always done. People just whine about it more now because gaming has become more popular.

those were ARCADE GAMES. they were not made for console but ported.

look at capcom now they release SFxTK with the SF4 engine from 2008 and add literally nothing, the whole purpose of creating the game was to sell DLC, most of which was on-disc.
#36InterzoneMantraPosted 1/29/2013 12:16:46 AM(edited)
It's a bit of both. Gaming in the 80s and 90s were pretty much in it's infant state. Constant new ideas were being put out , so games around that time seemed fresh, new and exciting. (especially when we first went into the 3d era of gaming).

Video games have come a long way after years and decades .Many concepts have been done before that it's kinda hard to make up something new and fresh, so you're pretty much playing older games with prettier graphics giving you that feeling of been there done that. ( every once in a while a new fresh idea pops up) but it's not as frequent as it was in the earlier stages of video games.
#37Raven_CyarmPosted 1/29/2013 12:19:26 AM
jbl8199 posted...
All the self-entitled whiny babies ruin everything.

What a fitting contrast. Self-entitled whining babies ruin gaming and then self entitled whining babies come on to complain about them.
---
#AntiSmark
http://www.youtube.com/RavenCyarm
#38beebarbPosted 1/29/2013 12:25:07 AM
It's a bit of an iffy topic really.

1. Some genres have more horrible games flooding them than they used to. On the other hand, some genres have more good games than they used to.

2. Some modern games are too easy, some too hard. It's like companies have lost the true understanding of "Easy", "Normal" and "Hard".

3. A lot of games used to have in-built cheat codes allowing people to just play for fun (or actually cheat if they were the type to cheat for no reason), now most don't. They sometimes even strip cheats and edit text of old games when porting them.

Example:
Raptor: Call of the Shadows, one of my favourite MS-DOS games has the cheats removed and the "Deathray" renamed to "Plasmaray" in the modern Windows/Mac OS X port.

Glad I still had a copy of the DOS version. DOSBox allows me to play the game intact.
---
We shall rise again to start anew.
White FC: 0862-2660-4156 / 3DS FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 4556-7836-2644
#39NitharadPosted 1/29/2013 12:27:56 AM
4 possibilities:

A. You're right, most games suck these days. The real gems are a rarity.
B. Your taste in gaming changed or was spoiled over the years by great games or new insight into how gaming works.
C. You are in fact getting older, meaning you don't have the same amount of time to invest in gaming as a child, thus you cannot really afford to play sub-par games.
D. You're playing on the wrong console, maybe other platforms offer games that interest you ? I know I don't own a PS3 because it doesn't have a single game I want to play. (Except maybe Journey)
#40k7lifePosted 1/29/2013 12:28:14 AM
crondizzle posted...
gaming has been dumbed down soo badly, its plain as day. the gaming industry has been taken over by corporate shareholders who know nothing about gaming, they treat gaming like it's a brand of Juice or mayonnaise, the only focus is minimizing costs and increasing profit. with 0 regard for actually making good games.

why do you think EVERY game that is somewhat successful gets a sequel? it's just liike Hollywood now, everything has to be safe. No ambition allowed. Just keep pumping out "Safe bets".

and we have this fanboy culture in gaming now, where everyone worships games even if they are disappointing. Hype and marketing is all that matters, quality doesn't.

Look at the word "Troll" you mention any single flaw with a game and this board will jump on you like an angry mob.

it's not "just you". Look at the facts and draw conclusions from them. Movies, music, gaming, all have been dumbed down.

dj___roll posted...

@matty549
I still don't get how Capcom is suddenly more greedy. They've constantly released ports and rehashes of games. Look at the SNES with 3 Street Fighter Games. Each at $70 a pop at release and with little to separate them. This is what Capcom had always done. People just whine about it more now because gaming has become more popular.

those were ARCADE GAMES. they were not made for console but ported.

look at capcom now they release SFxTK with the SF4 engine from 2008 and add literally nothing, the whole purpose of creating the game was to sell DLC, most of which was on-disc.

That is just so bs that street fighter x tekken didn't add anything new. It made linking way easier, it faster pace, tag combos, free color editor, 2v2 fighting, new ways to spend meter. I don't like street fighter 4 and street fighter x tekken all that much anymore but they two complete different games. Unfortunately, the whole DLC thing made it a joke. But there is a free balance patch for the game now.
---
Gamers are so angry these days, they should chill out or something.