This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do Games Suck Now a Days Or Am I just Older

#41matty549Posted 1/29/2013 1:33:06 AM
crondizzle posted...
industry has been taken over by corporate shareholders who know nothing about gaming, they treat gaming like it's a brand of Juice or mayonnaise, the only focus is minimizing costs and increasing profit. with 0 regard for actually making good games.

and we have this fanboy culture in gaming now, where everyone worships games even if they are disappointing. Hype and marketing is all that matters, quality doesn't.

Loved the juice / mayonnaise analogy. And here I thought I was the only one that noticed.
#42Cvdf3Posted 1/29/2013 1:59:51 AM
Little of both. Games have larger production costs now and need to sell, which means they need to appeal toa wide a variety of people on a basic level. This often leads to games just being kind of "meh". Plus we just get more cynical with age.
F***, I feel the same way you do and I am only 20.
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
#43mogar002Posted 1/29/2013 2:01:25 AM
Nah you just suck.
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hwco6d.jpg
#44leopoldsharkPosted 1/29/2013 2:12:07 AM
There is some things to be said about both. I am in a similar situation as well. I have several PS3 games that I normally would like but I just couldn't get into or I'm just hesitant to start playing. I generally play them for shorter periods (no 10 hour marathons). I can still say "That was pretty cool" to most games but the last game that I really enjoyed was Rayman Origins.

A lot of games today are definitely more polished than older games, but a lot of them lack soul. It could be I'm finding more enjoyment from quirky games than solid high-profile titles. It is true that a lot of games may be homogenized to suit a wider audience and game companies aren't as fond of taking risks as they might have been, partially due to rising development costs. Platinum Games is sort of my current fav developer because they aren't afraid to push boundaries.
#45P00DGEPosted 1/29/2013 2:17:54 AM
Games do not suck now, they are just "different". Not better or worst.

When I say this, what I mean is that the way game designers approach games now is different. The game designers themselves are different, replacements for people that once designed our games. It is a different philosophy with different focuses. Even games that try to imitate past game design philosophies have subtle differences that cannot be avoided.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, its just a different thing. But no doubt the change is not appreciated by everyone. Some people just liked the way things were done back then. Like me. I enjoy the game design of the SNES/N64/PS1 era of gaming most. I prefer those games to newer ones. New games aren't BAD, they are just different because the people creating them are coming from a different place than the people who created the games of those consoles. I resonate more with older game design philosophies.
#46Erdrick001Posted 1/29/2013 2:29:30 AM
Games in general do suck nowadays. But that doesn't mean that aren't still some games worth playing.
#47mjc0961Posted 1/29/2013 2:38:34 AM
You're older, and so is everyone telling you that games suck now. Games far from suck these days. We have some of the best games ever made coming out for the 7th generation. It's just that games offer entertainment in ways aside from being insanely difficult because they aren't 30 minutes long anymore and don't need to be insanely difficulty to stop you from beating them in less than an hour of getting the game home and starting it up.
---
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey
#48EarthViperPosted 1/29/2013 2:40:32 AM
Gaming has changed. It's gained some things and lost others. Whether you think they're better today or worse today depends on which of those lost/gained things matter more to you.
---
Clam shell plastic packaging is, in fact, my mortal enemy.
#49rexne1Posted 1/29/2013 3:40:24 AM
Games are far, far superior today. I used to play my NES 'til my thumbs blistered back in the day but come on, those games are embarrassingly obsolete these days.

Just thinking back to my favorite games of the past and every one has been bettered.

Trials Evolution > Excite Bike
Uncharted 2 > Super Mario
CoD, Battlefield, etc. > Duck Hunt
FIFA, Madden, Skate, etc. > California Games

They only thing the new games don't have going for them is nostalgia. Games are the best they've ever been but unfortunately people are at their most entitled and nonplussed.
#50DukeCoudrayPosted 1/29/2013 3:40:45 AM
The only thing i dont like about todays Generation of games is the lack of actual RPGs.

Games that had excellent writing, character development was top notch, Battles werent the main highlight of that genre. Even tho Persona 4 Golden was a ps2 game, it is still the best rpg of this gen.

Nowadays every game has to include first person view, or Behind the shoulder. Have more explosions than an average Michael Bay film. Include an AK47. And when your really good they'll give you a stealth option.

Sometimes they should give us less control over the Camera, Camera shots tell a story and can inflict tension at times. Thats why Horror games arent scary anymore. Dead Space 3 is being directed by Michael Bay. The only game i can think of that has great camera work this gen is the Uncharted Series. Hopefully The Last Of Us doesnt go full behind the shoulder.

Less Variety in games is why you're attention span is lessening. Now that every game is pretty much a carbon copy of each other. You choose from either BigNameFPS that received high scores, as opposed to GenericFPSGame that received 6/10. Or if you dont wanna go that route that leaves you with buying the action game that everyones talking about Assassins Puke. As opposed to Resident Evil 6:The Action Packed Adventure.

If it wasnt for Atlus, The Fighting Genre, and Rockstar *which releases all 3rd person shooters* I'd be in the same boat as you sir.