This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do Games Suck Now a Days Or Am I just Older

#61HolyMcmolyPosted 1/29/2013 8:18:23 AM
Blah blah things were better in my time. People saying games suck now need to just die of old age already.
#62glory of power metalPosted 1/29/2013 8:20:33 AM
The only argument I hear towards games now being worse are loose generalizations like "Developers are lazy, everyone's out of ideas, everything's multiplayer with no substance," which really mean nothing other than, "I, for whatever reason don't like gaming as a whole anymore and need a way to justify it."

I'm the same as plenty of people here. I usually play new games once or twice before I lose interest, but I could play Sonic 2, Golden Axe, Spyro, or Crash Bandicoot at any moment and love it from start to finish, but that doesn't mean it was more original, had better gameplay, or more replay value than anything now, it was just what I was playing when I was like 8-13 so I'll always remember it the way I did then.

It really is nothing but nostalgia. There's no way you can look at all the best games this gen and say, "Meh, generic boring crap." Well you could, and a lot of people here do, but it's completely false. The correct answer is, "I'm not as interested in gaming any more as I used ot be."
---
i7-950 3.4GHz | GeForce GTX 285 | 16 GB DDR3 | NEC 2490WUXi 1920x1200
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher
#63XechsPosted 1/29/2013 8:26:29 AM
I think it's the fact that this gen is dragging on more then previous gens and thus we have too many sequels, while good games it's just missing that new ip feeling. We need that new console that usually entails new franchises trying to be the next big thing. As much as I liked gears, uncharted, infamous, dead space, assassin creed (this franchise been dragging with all those side games) they are all getting pretty boring.

Also even with old franchises it's been dragging a bit stuff like halo saw 3 spin offs before getting back on track with 4. God of war on handhelds and now with ascension is on prequel duty and not continuing. Also the fact that FFXIII and GTA4 were dragging with spin offs and expansions, people want the true sequel in new settings (probably why people want XV or GTA5 so badly).
---
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/1198847692478tg1.gif
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/rankastar.gif Ranka-Macross Frontier
#64You_Need_A_LifePosted 1/29/2013 8:27:54 AM
The first three posts of this topic are 100% truth.
#65dj___rollPosted 1/29/2013 11:43:50 AM
Quote:So its been probably a year maybe two since I even had a PS3 and I was just thinking is it just me or are games horrible now a days. When I bought my PS3 their wasn't any real titles that I wanted. The ones that I did didn't hold my interest at all except for a few but seriously.

2-3 games that legit hold my interest vs the entire library of 500+ games?

I know the 2-3 that did interest me I got a couple hundred hours out of.

Anyone agree/disagree what are your thoughts?

@Jwilliams8102
Like anything you've been enjoying for a long time, the wonder and enjoyment is hard to keep fresh. People, in general, tend to either push themselves into a specific niche, not care as much or just stop all together after doing the same thing for so long. Some people also just can't deal with change and look at it as a bad thing when it's just different.

Maybe take a break for a little bit or play something you normally wouldn't. Overall, just keep an open mind about changes and try to remember why you enjoyed games so much when you were younger. And don't visit gamefaqs. This site houses one of the most negative, picky fanbases I've seen.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#66dj___rollPosted 1/29/2013 11:46:52 AM
Quote:I can't say if games are better of worse, but I do know that I tend to overthink about gaming nowadays. As a kid, either you got a game as a gift or you saved up money from your allowance/summer jobs to buy one game, maybe two at most. So each time you got a new game, it was like an event. You played the hell out of that game until you were in position to get another one. I remember getting Blades of Steel on NES and Zelda II for xmas one year, it felt like the greatest day of my life and I played the hell out of both games. Who knew when I'd get another one??

As a working adult, aside from having responsibility and priorities that take precedence over gaming, because I can generally afford a game anytime I want that bit of 'magic' is gone from anticipating a game for xmas or saving up for one like I mentioned earlier. I have a backlog spanning about 10 systems that I'll likely never clear. I also tend to look moreso at prices and determine if a game is worth it at $60? $50? How many hours of single-player mode? 10? Meh, I'll wait till it hits $30. All of these thoughts run through my mind now, when before as a kid I simply.... gamed. No worrying about what resolution the game runs at, how many hours is the gameplay, how many frames per second, and all these other factors. Hell, when I was 13 I'd look at the cover and back of the box, if it looked cool I wanted it. I didn't have the internet to log into gamefaqs or some other site and read 100 different opinions on the game or read a bunch of fanboy drivel.

@Dragonyeuw
And this.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#67true_gamer80Posted 1/29/2013 12:06:04 PM(edited)
everyone saying games used to be better NEED to have their current consoles stripped of them, given an atari and have to work there way back up to current gen....I bet 99.99% of oyu will then be greatful for the games we have today.

You know whats funny, you got some ppl saying gaming used to be better yet barely play older console and are always pretty much moving forward....why is that lol? Is it cause in general games are far far deeper, offer a hell of alot more, more diverse, more options, better production values etc etc.

Theres also the funny part about if gaming truley were better overeall in the past there respected boards sure as hell would be more active or used but they are not.... at all, pretty much...why is that? Could it be in general gaming nowadays is far far far far better nah of course not....

huge huge diff n remember a few great games from the past and then saying gaming was better back in the day....its just silly to say. Most games back in the day were horrid...not GF horrid....I mean rally bad games and for every good game or classic thats remembered there were hundreds upon hundreds of horrid games again horrid meaning actually bad bad games not I dont personally like it so its horrid GF defnition of horrid.

Games were filled with glitches, bugs etc and you were always stuck with them, they were extremely short, the list of negatives goes on and on. Being a kid growing up in the 80's most games ppl got ended up in dissapointment cause either they were bad or over in twenty mins and your only option was to curse whoever made the cool looking boxart that made the game look so bad ass lol.

Its funny at GF when ppl talking about gamings past they seem to have this sugar coating of it thinkinng of the few really good classics and dismissing the thousands of horrid bad games, ripoff or cashins and again not GF silly meanings of these words, those words meeant what they mean back then.

The absolute kicker, scanning this site daily and looking at all the insane silly whining, compplaining etc etc, 99.99% of you would have had heart attacks gaming bac in the day, the minor silly complaints we see around here were full blown real problems back in the day. The way alot of oyu complain about things nowadays omg none of you could have been a gamer bac then lol....if thee minor silly complaints so many here freak out about....I would love to have seen what GF would have been like in the 80's or back in the day, when so so many games had serious serious issues, were extremely shallow, were extremely short offered little to nothing etc etc
---
Real Hip Hop...I miss the 90's-Puppets Of Chaos - Tru Dat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqxBDN-cv08
#68P00DGEPosted 1/29/2013 12:06:12 PM
true_gamer80 posted...
everyone saying games used to be better NEED to have their current consoles stripped of them, given an atari and have to work there way back up to current gen....I bet 99.99% of oyu will then be greatful for the games we have today.

You know whats funny, you got some ppl saying gaming used to be better yet barely play older console and are always pretty much moving forward....why is that lol? Is it cause in general games are far far deeper, offer a hell of alot more, more diverse, more options, better production values etc etc.

huge huge diff n remember a few great games from the past and then saying gaming was better back in the day....its just silly to say. Most games back in the day were horrid...not GF horrid....I mean rally bad games and for every good game or classic thats remembered there were hundreds upon hundreds of horrid games again horrid meaning actually bad bad games not I dont personally like it so its horrid GF defnition of horrid.

Games were filled with glitches, bugs etc and you were always stuck with them, they were extremely short, the list of negatives goes on and on. Being a kid growing up in the 80's most games ppl got ended up in dissapointment cause either they were bad or over in twenty mins.

Its funny at GF when ppl talking about gamings past they seem to have this sugar coating of it thinkinng of the few really good classics and dismissing the thousands of horrid bad games, ripoff or cashins and again not GF silly meanings of these words, those words meeant what they mean back then.

The absolute kicker, scanning this site daily and looking at all the insane silly whining, compplaining etc etc, 99.99% of you would have had heart attacks gaming bac in the day, the minor silly complaints we see around here were full blown real problems back in the day. The way alot of oyu complain about things nowadays omg none of you could have been a gamer bac then lol....if thee minor silly complaints so many here freak out about....I would love to have seen what GF would have been like in the 80's or back in the day, when so so many games had serious serious issues, were extremely shallow, were extremely short offered little to nothing etc etc

Well the reason people who prefer older games don't JUST play older games is because there is a limited amount of older games. People are not going to replay the same games over and over again. They might be their favorites, and they may crave more games like those, but that can't happen, so they will also play new games. Preferring older games does not mean you can only exclusively play those games. I prefer tacos to pizza, but I will still eat pizza from time to time. It is nice to have variety. It is also entirely subjective to say games were better back then or better today. It is ALL about design philosophy. I prefer the design used in games back from the mid 90's, and those games were made by a different group of programmers than the games being made today. That means a different mindset and different skills and different goals. The design philosophy of that time in the gaming industry resonates with me more, so I find it "better". Naturally, this is only MY perspective. I can't speak for anyone else, just like you can't (like you tried to).
#69true_gamer80Posted 1/29/2013 12:08:27 PM
there is a limited amount of older games

huh? theres thousands upon thousands...of course out of all those there is few actually worth playing let alone great ones....unless thats what you meant?
---
Real Hip Hop...I miss the 90's-Puppets Of Chaos - Tru Dat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqxBDN-cv08
#70P00DGEPosted 1/29/2013 12:11:07 PM
true_gamer80 posted...

Games were filled with glitches, bugs etc and you were always stuck with them, they were extremely short, the list of negatives goes on and on. Being a kid growing up in the 80's most games ppl got ended up in dissapointment cause either they were bad or over in twenty mins and your only option was to curse whoever made the cool looking boxart that made the game look so bad ass lol.

I would also like to take a minute to talk about this paragraph in particular. Compared to the SNES-PS2 days, games today actually seem to be SHORTER. 5 hour campaigns are the standard now in big budget AAA games. The standard used to be 40+ hour adventures. And while the removal of bugs can be a good thin 95% of the time, sometimes it makes a game feel too narrow and soulless. For example: In Mario Kart 64, just about every track had an unintentional shortcut you could take. It was FUN to use these. However, in today's Mario Kart games, if you so much as cross over the border of the designated track, you are immediately dragged back onto the track. It was more fun when it was just a map with few limitation, allowing for exploits and shortcuts. Now it is a rule heavy game with limitations and measures put in place to prevent unintentional "fun".