This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is religion a bad thing?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Why is religion a bad thing?
4 years ago#1
How do you feel about religion in games? - Results (441 votes)
Love it. Most games that have it prove that Religion is bad by showing the church as evil.
9.75% (43 votes)
Love the idea, more games need to show a good Religion though.
5.22% (23 votes)
Like it. Religion is a major part of humanity and it's important to depict that in a game's story.
12.7% (56 votes)
It's okay. They should only include it if it enhances the game's story/context.
33.11% (146 votes)
Meh. I don't care.
26.08% (115 votes)
Dislike it. They should avoid the subject of religion when they can avoid it in video games.
6.12% (27 votes)
Hate it. Religion should never be depicted or mentioned in video games.
4.31% (19 votes)
Other: Comment Below
2.72% (12 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I see a lot of animosity toward religion lately. What's up with that?

Even on Extra Credit's video about faith they're all like "Now I don't mean religion guys, I'm not talking about religion" as if "religion" was a foul word like "racism".

Why is there so much animosity toward religion in the gaming community?
http://i.imgur.com/Gel15.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GOZjlwIwfk&ob=av2e If you click my sig, make sure you watch at least 60 seconds.
4 years ago#2
Honestly, it's not needed. Sometimes, you can take the mythos and add your own spin, like Darksiders. But overall, it adds nothing most of the time and is just annoying.
PSN: Spaghetti_Socks XBL: Scorpion1085
4 years ago#3
Fictional religions in fictional worlds can be cool.
If you want to create a historically accurate game, religion is necessary.

Because most people who play video games are relatively young, and of a generation that has access to the internet and wasn't raised on lies.
4 years ago#4
kupo1705 posted...
of a generation that has access to the internet and wasn't raised on lies.

Because the internet isn't full of lies?
http://i.imgur.com/Gel15.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GOZjlwIwfk&ob=av2e If you click my sig, make sure you watch at least 60 seconds.
4 years ago#5
Q_Sensei posted...
kupo1705 posted...
of a generation that has access to the internet and wasn't raised on lies.

Because the internet isn't full of lies?

Of course it is.
4 years ago#6
kupo1705 posted...
Fictional religions in fictional worlds can be cool.
If you want to create a historically accurate game, religion is necessary.

Because most people who play video games are relatively young, and of a generation that has access to the internet and wasn't raised on lies.

The part in bold is either hopelessly delusional or extraordinarily naive.
GT/PSN: Evel138 Sackboy
http://fav.me/d5qo006
4 years ago#7
To be honest, I don't really mind religion being in games.

However, just like whenever a black person is in a game. There's going to be a s***storm about how it's offensive (and in regard to black people, racist) and everything just gets ruined because people are irrational.
The console with the greater spec generally loses.
FC: 1719-3458-5336 Follow me on twitter @Jamyfang
4 years ago#8
I like fantasy religions in games like Dragon Age & Elder Scrolls. In these high fantasy settings it really adds to the lore and mythology of the world.

When it comes to real-life religions it's nearly always Christianity and nearly always portrayed as a negative influence.

I for one would like to see a game featuring Hinduism or Islam (though Islam might be a tricky one.) I certainly wouldn't reject a game just because religion was involved.
Now Playing: ZOE HD, Okami.
4 years ago#9
I'd rather see religion in a Videogame than I would on these boards because it's just butthurts yelling at one another and accomplishing nothing :/. At least in a Videogame it can be a framing device FFS
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
4 years ago#10
PJB-11 posted...
I like fantasy religions in games like Dragon Age & Elder Scrolls. In these high fantasy settings it really adds to the lore and mythology of the world.

When it comes to real-life religions it's nearly always Christianity and nearly always portrayed as a negative influence.

I for one would like to see a game featuring Hinduism or Islam (though Islam might be a tricky one.) I certainly wouldn't reject a game just because religion was involved.

Civilization :p

And Islam itself isn't bad, it's actually a fascinating religion. Muslim which is a sect of Islam is bad though. In the same way Lutherinism, Catholicism, Anglican, etc. are all sects of "Christianity". Some principles are the same but most are very different.
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Why is religion a bad thing?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived