This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is religion a bad thing?

#1Q_SenseiPosted 1/29/2013 5:29:50 AM
How do you feel about religion in games? - Results (441 votes)
Love it. Most games that have it prove that Religion is bad by showing the church as evil.
9.75% (43 votes)
Love the idea, more games need to show a good Religion though.
5.22% (23 votes)
Like it. Religion is a major part of humanity and it's important to depict that in a game's story.
12.7% (56 votes)
It's okay. They should only include it if it enhances the game's story/context.
33.11% (146 votes)
Meh. I don't care.
26.08% (115 votes)
Dislike it. They should avoid the subject of religion when they can avoid it in video games.
6.12% (27 votes)
Hate it. Religion should never be depicted or mentioned in video games.
4.31% (19 votes)
Other: Comment Below
2.72% (12 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I see a lot of animosity toward religion lately. What's up with that?

Even on Extra Credit's video about faith they're all like "Now I don't mean religion guys, I'm not talking about religion" as if "religion" was a foul word like "racism".

Why is there so much animosity toward religion in the gaming community?
---
http://i.imgur.com/Gel15.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GOZjlwIwfk&ob=av2e If you click my sig, make sure you watch at least 60 seconds.
#2xReflectingGodxPosted 1/29/2013 5:32:31 AM
Honestly, it's not needed. Sometimes, you can take the mythos and add your own spin, like Darksiders. But overall, it adds nothing most of the time and is just annoying.
---
PSN: Spaghetti_Socks XBL: Scorpion1085
#3kupo1705Posted 1/29/2013 5:40:00 AM
Fictional religions in fictional worlds can be cool.
If you want to create a historically accurate game, religion is necessary.

Because most people who play video games are relatively young, and of a generation that has access to the internet and wasn't raised on lies.
#4Q_Sensei(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 5:41:57 AM
kupo1705 posted...
of a generation that has access to the internet and wasn't raised on lies.

Because the internet isn't full of lies?
---
http://i.imgur.com/Gel15.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GOZjlwIwfk&ob=av2e If you click my sig, make sure you watch at least 60 seconds.
#5kupo1705Posted 1/29/2013 5:42:56 AM
Q_Sensei posted...
kupo1705 posted...
of a generation that has access to the internet and wasn't raised on lies.

Because the internet isn't full of lies?

Of course it is.
#6Evel138Posted 1/29/2013 5:44:07 AM
kupo1705 posted...
Fictional religions in fictional worlds can be cool.
If you want to create a historically accurate game, religion is necessary.

Because most people who play video games are relatively young, and of a generation that has access to the internet and wasn't raised on lies.

The part in bold is either hopelessly delusional or extraordinarily naive.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Sackboy
http://fav.me/d5qo006
#7monkeypahngPosted 1/29/2013 5:44:32 AM
To be honest, I don't really mind religion being in games.

However, just like whenever a black person is in a game. There's going to be a s***storm about how it's offensive (and in regard to black people, racist) and everything just gets ruined because people are irrational.
---
The console with the greater spec generally loses.
FC: 1719-3458-5336 Follow me on twitter @Jamyfang
#8PJB-11Posted 1/29/2013 5:58:08 AM
I like fantasy religions in games like Dragon Age & Elder Scrolls. In these high fantasy settings it really adds to the lore and mythology of the world.

When it comes to real-life religions it's nearly always Christianity and nearly always portrayed as a negative influence.

I for one would like to see a game featuring Hinduism or Islam (though Islam might be a tricky one.) I certainly wouldn't reject a game just because religion was involved.
---
Now Playing: ZOE HD, Okami.
#9Godly_GoofPosted 1/29/2013 6:05:04 AM
I'd rather see religion in a Videogame than I would on these boards because it's just butthurts yelling at one another and accomplishing nothing :/. At least in a Videogame it can be a framing device FFS
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#10Godly_GoofPosted 1/29/2013 6:08:18 AM
PJB-11 posted...
I like fantasy religions in games like Dragon Age & Elder Scrolls. In these high fantasy settings it really adds to the lore and mythology of the world.

When it comes to real-life religions it's nearly always Christianity and nearly always portrayed as a negative influence.

I for one would like to see a game featuring Hinduism or Islam (though Islam might be a tricky one.) I certainly wouldn't reject a game just because religion was involved.

Civilization :p

And Islam itself isn't bad, it's actually a fascinating religion. Muslim which is a sect of Islam is bad though. In the same way Lutherinism, Catholicism, Anglican, etc. are all sects of "Christianity". Some principles are the same but most are very different.
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."