This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is religion a bad thing?

#21LemonKweenstaaaPosted 1/29/2013 8:36:53 AM
MGS4SNAKE posted...
Voted for other: religion is a bad thing but most importantly a tool, Its fun. I would just s*** all over it if I were a story developer for the gaming industry. Wake up 10% of the gamers would be my goal.

Awww, an angstheist.
---
Official Orange Sherbet of the IDF
http://i45.tinypic.com/35i4xlc.jpg
#22SomnusNemorisPosted 1/29/2013 8:40:08 AM
Evel138 posted...
Atheism has become a real genuine movement over this last generation or two. In my opinion, becoming a cult or a religion in and of itself.....I.e. prosthelytizing, setting up organizations to further their cause...etc etc

A Richard Dawkins is just as much a preacher as a Pat Robertson. They're two sides of the EXACT same coin.

I think with a lot of these so called "atheists" its not about an indifference of faith (I mean, I know I don't feel inclined to argue with people that fairy tales are not real), but about a crusade against religion......disingenuous hypocrisy at best.

I like what you say at the end as I too believe there must be something more than just the physical world (of which we don't even fully understand even it beyond theories). I am not particularly religious either. Though, while I do recognize the blood shed religious ignorance has cause all throughout the history of man, I'm honest enough to equally recognize the even more plentiful salvation it has provided....food/shelter for the needy and hope where there was hopelessness for man.

Indeed, mate. I does not make sense to me that we are here because we're here.

And yeah, religion has been used for both bad and good through the ages. Recognising one without the other shows an agenda.
#23nonexistingheroPosted 1/29/2013 8:45:52 AM
I like it. Games that involve religion tend to make me think more than most games that don't. But most of the time, if it's a religion that sticks out in the game, it's portrayed in a bad light. Meanwhile, games with good religion usually don't have it as part of the main plot, just as part of the life styles (like Dragon Quest, Lunar games, etc).
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#24Erupt50Posted 1/29/2013 8:47:25 AM
Other: Dumb poll
---
PSN- Erupt50 XBL- Erupt50
#25Evel138Posted 1/29/2013 8:52:00 AM
SomnusNemoris posted...
Evel138 posted...
Atheism has become a real genuine movement over this last generation or two. In my opinion, becoming a cult or a religion in and of itself.....I.e. prosthelytizing, setting up organizations to further their cause...etc etc

A Richard Dawkins is just as much a preacher as a Pat Robertson. They're two sides of the EXACT same coin.

I think with a lot of these so called "atheists" its not about an indifference of faith (I mean, I know I don't feel inclined to argue with people that fairy tales are not real), but about a crusade against religion......disingenuous hypocrisy at best.

I like what you say at the end as I too believe there must be something more than just the physical world (of which we don't even fully understand even it beyond theories). I am not particularly religious either. Though, while I do recognize the blood shed religious ignorance has cause all throughout the history of man, I'm honest enough to equally recognize the even more plentiful salvation it has provided....food/shelter for the needy and hope where there was hopelessness for man.

And yeah, religion has been used for both bad and good through the ages. Recognising one without the other shows an agenda.

This is the conundrum that any honest person must have a problem with......because there is no reasonable solution that is absolutely based in the physical world just being here that makes any more logical sense than believing some old wizard in the sky made it happen.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Sackboy
http://fav.me/d5qo006
#26BreathofFire3Posted 1/29/2013 8:52:42 AM
Religion is and will forever be a means of mind control for a certain group of individuals that control a mass group of others to do their bidding. Whether its collections for personal gain or murder.
---
"If FFXIII goes to the 360 i will sell my PS3 and my respect for sony would be zero for letting go of such a major game." -TheKonspiracy
#27jrr18Posted 1/29/2013 8:58:51 AM
Evel138 posted...
SomnusNemoris posted...
Evel138 posted...

This is the conundrum that any honest person must have a problem with......because there is no reasonable solution that is absolutely based in the physical world just being here that makes any more logical sense than believing some old wizard in the sky made it happen.

There's nothing religious about why were here some alien used earth to get rid of medical waste and thats how life started. (now just don't ask where the alien came from)
---
Victory over Namco destroyer of games through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#28LifeOfSynPosted 1/29/2013 9:14:02 AM
For me, I do like religion in gaming because most of the examples I see are done well.

Dead Space stands out. The Unitologists appear to be fairly normal at first but when we find out about their motives, they become scheming monsters.

As an antitheist, I am violently against religion and games such as Dead Space help me to fight against the evils that I can't really do much about in reality.
---
Inhale: My Games Blog - http://inhaletheplague.blogspot.co.uk/
#29daigre7Posted 1/29/2013 9:22:26 AM
As could be said about most controversial issues, if religion is implemented in a game in a creative, non-preachy way, I'm all for it. However, devs try to stay away from anything that would alienate certain gamers or hurt sales, which is understandable.

My own personal view is one that sees no reason why religion and science can't coexist. If everything can traced back to the Big Bang, it seems logical to assume that at some previous point, there must have been no matter. God probably isn't imprinted himself on grilled cheese sandwiches, but I believe He provided the spark that set everything in motion.
---
PSN - Hand_Banana
#30Mutant1988Posted 1/29/2013 9:28:43 AM
The problem I have with religion is that far too many people use it as an excuse not to think for themselves and justify their disrespectful, intolerant, hateful and harmful behaviour and way of life.

So yeah, religion is a bad thing to me.

Beliefs, are not.

It's the fact that religion is static and also somehow puts you above having your beliefs challenged or re-evaluated that really offend me.
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.