This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is religion a bad thing?

#31frodiusmaximusPosted 1/29/2013 9:33:11 AM
Godly_Goof posted...
PJB-11 posted...
I like fantasy religions in games like Dragon Age & Elder Scrolls. In these high fantasy settings it really adds to the lore and mythology of the world.

When it comes to real-life religions it's nearly always Christianity and nearly always portrayed as a negative influence.

I for one would like to see a game featuring Hinduism or Islam (though Islam might be a tricky one.) I certainly wouldn't reject a game just because religion was involved.

Civilization :p

And Islam itself isn't bad, it's actually a fascinating religion. Muslim which is a sect of Islam is bad though. In the same way Lutherinism, Catholicism, Anglican, etc. are all sects of "Christianity". Some principles are the same but most are very different.

My dear friend, please learn a thing or two about world religions before making silly comments like this. "Muslim" is not a sect of Islam. "Muslim" is the name for any person who practices the religion called "Islam."
---
Wii FC: 4611 9918 6480 6380 | PSN:FrodiusMaximus
frodiusmaximus@gmail.com
#32frodiusmaximusPosted 1/29/2013 9:34:48 AM
SomnusNemoris posted...
Evel138 posted...
Atheism has become a real genuine movement over this last generation or two. In my opinion, becoming a cult or a religion in and of itself.....I.e. prosthelytizing, setting up organizations to further their cause...etc etc

A Richard Dawkins is just as much a preacher as a Pat Robertson. They're two sides of the EXACT same coin.

I think with a lot of these so called "atheists" its not about an indifference of faith (I mean, I know I don't feel inclined to argue with people that fairy tales are not real), but about a crusade against religion......disingenuous hypocrisy at best.

I like what you say at the end as I too believe there must be something more than just the physical world (of which we don't even fully understand even it beyond theories). I am not particularly religious either. Though, while I do recognize the blood shed religious ignorance has cause all throughout the history of man, I'm honest enough to equally recognize the even more plentiful salvation it has provided....food/shelter for the needy and hope where there was hopelessness for man.

Indeed, mate. I does not make sense to me that we are here because we're here.

And yeah, religion has been used for both bad and good through the ages. Recognising one without the other shows an agenda.

Right on target guys. This coming from a non-religious (even atheistic) guy who goes to a Catholic school. I see both sides of things, all the time. And it keeps you honest to do so.
---
Wii FC: 4611 9918 6480 6380 | PSN:FrodiusMaximus
frodiusmaximus@gmail.com
#33Fear the MONKEYPosted 1/29/2013 9:42:25 AM
i dont really want religion in my games. i play games to escape reality...diving into a fictional world with religion and ppl killing each other left and right defending their religion(s) in the name of their gods...yeah, that's too "real life" for me.

that being said, there are games that handle the idea of religion well. xenogears, my favorite game, is known to be pretty open with its stance on religion. as a religious guy myself, i wasnt offended by it. i liked the ideas it brought up. the story benefitted from it.

also, the SMT games handle religion...differently. the games usually revolve around recruiting an army of characters like in pokemon, but those allies are usually angels/demons/gods/etc from different religions/mythologies. and they usually revolve around the battle between heaven and hell and usually pushing the idea that heaven subjugates humanity while lucifer/the demons are fighting for freedom. that seems to be pretty anti-religion too. though i am not offended. cuz its cool.

religion just tackily added on to a game to make it "edgy" or whatever is just bad. on many levels. not unlike a game trying to add longevity by adding on a last-minute tacked on multiplayer. funny part is, unless a game blatantly says "_________ is bad/evil/the source of problems in the world", where the blank is a real life religion, im not offended as a religious fellow. im offended as a gamer, to have a developer feel like they have to mix games and religion JUST to make it "cool". come on, devs, i expect more from you.
---
psn id: FearTheMonkey
#34kylemcauliffe15Posted 1/29/2013 9:52:32 AM
Fear the MONKEY posted...

religion just tackily added on to a game to make it "edgy" or whatever is just bad. on many levels. not unlike a game trying to add longevity by adding on a last-minute tacked on multiplayer. funny part is, unless a game blatantly says "_________ is bad/evil/the source of problems in the world", where the blank is a real life religion, im not offended as a religious fellow. im offended as a gamer, to have a developer feel like they have to mix games and religion JUST to make it "cool". come on, devs, i expect more from you.

This.
---
PSN: Gasshu-kun
The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents. - Salvador Dali
#35nihilist212Posted 1/29/2013 9:53:32 AM
I don't care, if it fits the context and story of the game then sure why not. As long as it's not real preachy.
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#36DemonicDracoPosted 1/29/2013 10:26:20 AM
I'm an atheist and i don't really care if its present.... not really sure what video games its all that present in though... i suppose i don't i play them....
---
Beauty is the only truth in this world.
#37656stoogePosted 1/29/2013 10:28:03 AM
An an atheist and I'd play the hell out of a good bible game. There are so many cool stories in the old testament that could translate well to a God of War style game.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ_wbc3Z5C8
#38L0ZPosted 1/29/2013 10:30:58 AM
If its not Christianity and not shown in a good way I am offended by it. Assassins creed offends me. Dark souls does not because lol it's just a noob praising to a big ball of gas
---
[Cell Broadband | 256MB XDR | RSX 256MB GDDR3]
#39TerotrousPosted 1/29/2013 10:32:16 AM
I am agnostic, but I think religion is a perfectly fine subject to portray in video games since it has a significant cultural impact. However, their are religions other than Christianity. It would be nice to see them in games occasionally too.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#40LeadPipeCinchePosted 1/29/2013 10:37:12 AM
SomnusNemoris posted...
Evel138 posted...
Atheism has become a real genuine movement over this last generation or two. In my opinion, becoming a cult or a religion in and of itself.....I.e. prosthelytizing, setting up organizations to further their cause...etc etc

A Richard Dawkins is just as much a preacher as a Pat Robertson. They're two sides of the EXACT same coin.

I think with a lot of these so called "atheists" its not about an indifference of faith (I mean, I know I don't feel inclined to argue with people that fairy tales are not real), but about a crusade against religion......disingenuous hypocrisy at best.

I like what you say at the end as I too believe there must be something more than just the physical world (of which we don't even fully understand even it beyond theories). I am not particularly religious either. Though, while I do recognize the blood shed religious ignorance has cause all throughout the history of man, I'm honest enough to equally recognize the even more plentiful salvation it has provided....food/shelter for the needy and hope where there was hopelessness for man.

Indeed, mate. I does not make sense to me that we are here because we're here.

And yeah, religion has been used for both bad and good through the ages. Recognising one without the other shows an agenda.

i know how i got here.
it wasnt some "unknown unproven being or force" that put me on this planet.
my dad ****** my mom 32 years ago.
---
My little men: Hayden Alexander Steele (born: 8/9/2006 at 8:38AM) & Conner Leigh Steele (born: 10/7/2008 at 9:16pm).