This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Right time for an upgrade at last! Advice needed please.....

#1ZeroSHEARERPosted 1/29/2013 6:57:22 AM
Hi there people, I have put up with an 80GB HDD for long enough I think and I think it's about time to resolve this problem. Before I start I just want you lot to know I'm anything but a tech expert.
Basically I have an old fat 80GB PS3 and I'm looking at a 500GB hard drive:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scorpio-Mobile-Internal-Playstation-Compatible/dp/B0037NYQ6Q/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1359467345&sr=8-20

It says PS3 in the description I know but just checking will this do the job? Also I'm getting confused with this whole format HDD/PS3 update on a flash drive etc business. I have a trial for PS+ so I should be good for transferring saves at least. But I have a family shared PC which I'm not an administrator on so I'm kind of restricted in that respect. Basically how complicated is the process? Everyone says it's easy but I have no clue, also some people have been talking about needing a cage/cradle?
---
You don't have enough hate............and you know something, you never will.
#2ZeroSHEARER(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 7:17:41 AM
Bump
---
#3ZeroSHEARER(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 7:41:36 AM
Bump again, sorry need to order shortly to get it tomorrow.
---
#4killakPosted 1/29/2013 7:48:09 AM
Just get it, you'll be fine.

Back up all your saves to the cloud, use an external drive (not your PC) to back up any data you don't want to lose, then pull out the old and throw in the new.

The PS3 does the rest.
---
This gen: Whining, gamers with an amazing sense of entitlement... waiting for pricedrops, cheering for studio closure and wondering why the industry changes
#5JerichoDarkstarPosted 1/29/2013 7:49:56 AM
Do you want all of your old PS3's content (and I do mean everything), do be transfered to this new one?
---
I'll make a big enough ruckus for everyone.
PSN: DarkSilverCloud
#6killakPosted 1/29/2013 7:50:07 AM
And no cradle needed
---
Me - http://tinyurl.com/bslf5na
#7ZeroSHEARER(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 7:54:27 AM
JerichoDarkstar posted...
Do you want all of your old PS3's content (and I do mean everything), do be transfered to this new one?

All I need is saves which I'll PS+ save with my trial and I'll copy any music/pictures I NEED to my PSP memory stick which I can do can't I?
---
#8killakPosted 1/29/2013 7:56:04 AM
yes you can.
---
"does the game give you any guidance at some point? How do I f***ing figure s*** out?" - darksydephil, trying to beat the opening of Bayonetta
#9Cush1978Posted 1/29/2013 7:58:28 AM
I have a trial for PS+ so I should be good for transferring saves at least.

Not entirely true. Copy protected saves will not transfer to the cloud. If you have copy protected saves, you will need to use the Backup Utility. Use it to backup the entire hard drive to an external drive, swap drives, then use the Backup Utility to restore your backup.

If you don't have copy protected saves, well, no worries then, you can use the cloud. When you copy your saves and hit "Select All", it will tell you how many saves out of the total it will be copying. Greyed out saves in the list cannot be copied to the cloud.
---
Cush - Wii Friend Code: 8824 6045 3862 1803
#10JerichoDarkstarPosted 1/29/2013 7:58:42 AM
ZeroSHEARER posted...
JerichoDarkstar posted...

All I need is saves which I'll PS+ save with my trial and I'll copy any music/pictures I NEED to my PSP memory stick which I can do can't I?

Well, when my friend got his new PS3, I just did a Data Transfer between the two. It copies everything, and the new PS3 is exactly like how you left the old PS3. It was much less time consuming than trying to transfer the saves by PS+, in my opinion.
---
I'll make a big enough ruckus for everyone.
PSN: DarkSilverCloud