This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Right time for an upgrade at last! Advice needed please.....

#21JerichoDarkstarPosted 1/29/2013 8:11:04 AM
ZeroSHEARER posted...

I guess it doesn't make a difference as I'll just open the topic when it arrives :) is this to back up onto a separate HDD? As I don't have one of my own only my dads which I think backs up the pc :(

No, this is to transfer all of your data from your old PS3 directly to your new one. I'll PM you some instructions I found online, and you can PM me back if you have trouble when you are doing it.
---
I'll make a big enough ruckus for everyone.
PSN: DarkSilverCloud
#22JerichoDarkstarPosted 1/29/2013 8:12:54 AM
Okay. Now I get it. Your transferring from one hard-drive to another. As far as that goes, I can't really help you. There is no other way to do that but by cloud saves, if I'm thinking correctly. There is no manual way to do it like it is between 2 PS3's.
---
I'll make a big enough ruckus for everyone.
PSN: DarkSilverCloud
#23ZeroSHEARER(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 8:15:17 AM
Cush1978 posted...
If I'm reading your topic right, the Data Transfer Utility will not help you. That's for transferring data between two PS3s. If you're buying a new PS3, then you hook the old one and the new one together with an ethernet cable, set one to "Send" and one to "Receive." If you're replacing the HDD in the SAME PS3, you can't use the Data Transfer Utility. My suggestion for the simplest thing to do:

- Delete EVERYTHING off your HDD you can get back. Game installs, PSN games, etc. If you have a big enough external drive, you can skip this step.
- Find out how much space you're using and find an external drive that can hold that much space.
- Make sure the external drive is formatted to FAT32.
- Use the Backup Utility to backup your HDD to the external drive.
- Swap your hard drives.
- Use the Backup Utility to restore your HDD from the external drive.

I thought the cloud could handle copy protected saves too, but I JUST did this last night. I bought a new PS3 Slim, used the Data Transfer Utility to move my data, then tried to backup my saves to the cloud. It would not copy some of my protected saves like 3D Dot Game Heroes, Rock Band, Rock Band 2, Tales Of Monkey Island, Back To The Future, and a few more. About 20 files out of 60 would not copy. If I'm doing something wrong, then I apologize for misleading you, but I could not get those saves into the cloud.

Ah I see, I hate having no PC of my own I'm guessing I cant just add my ps3 stuff to an external drive which is already in use with data on it for a PC? I think my only protected save is Dark Souls which I MUST NOT lose I'm just wondering what to do really.
---
You don't have enough hate............and you know something, you never will.
#24656stoogePosted 1/29/2013 8:16:05 AM
Wait, so you can't save something like Dark Souls data to PSN+ and then retrieve it from there once your new HDD is installed? That sucks.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ_wbc3Z5C8
#25ZeroSHEARER(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 8:19:56 AM
JerichoDarkstar posted...
Okay. Now I get it. Your transferring from one hard-drive to another. As far as that goes, I can't really help you. There is no other way to do that but by cloud saves, if I'm thinking correctly. There is no manual way to do it like it is between 2 PS3's.

If only there was a way to transfer drive to drive with a usb! XD Then I'd understand haha.
Thanks for your help dude I should have made it clearer. Man this is gonna be a bad decision I can feel it haha.
---
#26ZeroSHEARER(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 8:21:06 AM
656stooge posted...
Wait, so you can't save something like Dark Souls data to PSN+ and then retrieve it from there once your new HDD is installed? That sucks.

I'm hearing some protected saves can, some can't :(
---
#27Cush1978Posted 1/29/2013 9:07:41 AM
You can do it with a USB stick. Basically anything that plugs in via USB and can be formatted to FAT32, you can use. The FAT32 format can be read by a PC. The only thing you have to consider is space. If your 80GB HDD is full, you need to delete stuff or find a USB drive/stick big enough to hold it.

That's what I meant when I said "External Drive"; I meant USB hard drive, thumb drive, whatever. You can keep other data on it. The Backup Utility makes a folder of its own. So if you have a thumb drive handy, copy everything off it, format it to FAT32, copy your stuff back, and you can still use it for the Backup Utility as long as there's enough space to backup.

If not, delete the stuff you can get back (PSN, game installs, etc) and reinstall it after you swap drives. If all you're backing up is mostly saves, it'll be small.

As for what can and can't be stored in the cloud, I just did this for the first time last night. I tried to copy everything and it shows a list of what can and can't be copied. If there's another way to do it, I'm not aware of it.
---
Cush - Wii Friend Code: 8824 6045 3862 1803
#28Cush1978Posted 1/29/2013 9:12:44 AM
OK, OK, hold everything.

You all got me curious, so I turned on my PS3.

You CAN copy protected saves to the cloud, but you can't do it with the "Copy Multiple" option. You have to INDIVIDUALLY select a copy protected save. It will warn you that you can't upload/download the save more than once in a 24 hour period. Then you can copy it.

This isn't clear in the "Copy Multiple"; it just greys them out. So yeah, you have to individually copy protected saves, but you definitely CAN do it.
---
#29Cush1978Posted 1/29/2013 9:27:50 AM
Just to keep up my trend of flooding this topic.

I just went through all my copy protected saves and uploaded them one by one to the cloud. It doesn't seem very intuitive

- Choose "Copy Multiple" to see which ones will NOT copy. I see no other way to readily identify protected saves.
- Back out, select the individual save, select "+Copy", hit OK for the dialog, then it copies.

Repeat 19 more times for all my protected files.

What a pain to properly back up all of your stuff. I'm not in the greatest mood over this. Most of my day yesterday consisted of:

- Taking my well-maintained YLOD 60GB to a repair shop.
- Paying $60 to have the YLOD repaired* to get access to my saves.
- Buying the new limited white PS3 that comes with a year of PS+ for $300.
- Doing the Data Transfer Utility to move all my stuff to the new PS3.
- Backing up most of my saves (39 of 59) to the cloud.

...and now today, I find to get the other 20 up there, you have to individually select and click through each of them.

So, in short, I've paid nearly $400 for the privilege of playing a console I've already purchased and keeping the saves. Yes, I had backups, but backups can only be restored to the same system. Who cares about PS2 compatibility when your (launch) PS2 outlives your PS3? For that matter, every console I own all the way back to the Atari 2600, has outlasted my PS3.

Anyway, I understand how important it is to preserve your saved games and it seems like the cloud (which requires a PS+ subscription) is the only way to do it and the LEAST hassle free.

* YLOD repairs are ALWAYS temporarily. They may last months, even a year or so, but the hardware WILL eventually fail.
---
#30ZeroSHEARER(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 9:37:55 AM
Cush1978 posted...
OK, OK, hold everything.

You all got me curious, so I turned on my PS3.

You CAN copy protected saves to the cloud, but you can't do it with the "Copy Multiple" option. You have to INDIVIDUALLY select a copy protected save. It will warn you that you can't upload/download the save more than once in a 24 hour period. Then you can copy it.

This isn't clear in the "Copy Multiple"; it just greys them out. So yeah, you have to individually copy protected saves, but you definitely CAN do it.

You sir are a hero. I'm gonna do what you said now in preparation for the big move! And you say I can do the data transfer thing with a USB stick? If so I may work out what space I need now and then get a stick that big.
---