This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Purely preference: How many exclusive games may make a console worth it to you?

#1lonlonmilkloverPosted 1/29/2013 11:21:02 AM
How many exclusive games would a console have to have for you to want to buy it? - Results (99 votes)
Just ONE great exclusive game with ample content can absolutely justify a console purchase.
24.24% (24 votes)
At least THREE games would be necessary for me to even consider it.
28.28% (28 votes)
If there are FIVE games or more that I can't get anywhere else, I'll buy the console.
30.3% (30 votes)
Less than TEN must-have exclusives, and I won't buy it.
9.09% (9 votes)
It's gotta have a huge library of games I can't get on other systems. TWENTY+ exclusives are a must.
8.08% (8 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I purchased a PSP purely for Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep. However, I ended up discovering and buying Me & My Katamari as well as the Patapon games and had quite a bit of fun with them.

Regardless, I was perfectly OK with just KH: BBS being the only title. I put over 120 hours into it. $1.25/hr is very cheap entertainment :D.

For PS3, I bought it specifically for Ratchet & Clank series, 3D Dot Game Heroes, and a couple downloads.

... And I confess, I purchased an Xbox 360 purely for Blue Dragon, Trials HD, and Shadow Complex... and with those 3 titles, I've dumped over 1000 hours into the console, having an absolute blast.

All in all, when compared to going out to restaurants, a pub, or going to the movie theater, I feel that the math shows that in actuality, buying a console for just a few games - IF they are enjoyable enough (again, subjective to pure preference and how much one enjoys gaming...) isn't too much money.

What do you all feel is a good number for you to be convinced on a console purchase regarding exclusive game count?
---
www.backloggery.com/lonlonmilklover
#2LuciusMcNastyPosted 1/29/2013 11:26:48 AM
Quality over quantity
---
"Considering this morning you made a topic on this board titled 'Do chickens have pubes?' I wouldn't exactly say you're Mr. factoid." -MoxRavager
#3regsantotomasPosted 1/29/2013 11:27:30 AM
Choosing to buy a console isn't simply relegated to the exclusives available on that platform especially considering multi-platform games are often more appealing.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#4userfrigginamePosted 1/29/2013 11:35:45 AM
Hmmm, that's a good question. I think it's more of a matter of how many enticing exclusive games there are. For example, I usually get a Sony console as my main console, and Nintendo cuz they have Mario (including Kart, Party, etc.), Zelda, Super Smash, etc. I'm interested in Halo and GoW, but 2 interesting franchises is just not enough for me to get an Xbox. Also, I have a DS and PSP, but seeing as I only cared about FF games on the PSP, and Pokemon games on the DS, I realized there was almost no incentive for me to get a Vita nor 3DS, nor any future handhelds.
#5este914Posted 1/29/2013 11:43:14 AM
Poll failed - you forgot an option....

How about ITS IRRELEVANT how many 'exclusives' it has ? .... if it has ANY games at all worth playing then the console it 'worth it' for me.
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#6lonlonmilklover(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 8:42:24 PM
este914 posted...
Poll failed - you forgot an option....

How about ITS IRRELEVANT how many 'exclusives' it has ? .... if it has ANY games at all worth playing then the console it 'worth it' for me.

Irrelevant? How so? Exclusives, whether people realize it or not, are always the reason a console is sold.

Why does a person buy a Sony console? The first response from them might be: "I like Sony." Well... that's a bit vague. Do you ever hear somebody say "I like the feel of the buttons on Sony's controller", or "I like their aesthetically pleasing logo..." as a reason for purchase? O.o ...

Not primarily. The most comfortable controller in the world will be rendered useless if the games are commonplace and already released on other systems without any enhancements or unique factors.

When somebody says "I've always liked Sony", usually they are referring to their exclusive titles they have to offer. Ratchet & Clank series, the core Kingdom Hearts series, Final Fantasy Series for several years, Metal Gear Solid Series, etc.

If there were no exclusives on any of the three consoles, but all 3 main companies featured identical multi-platform releases, there would be very little point to having all 3 in existence.

Exclusive titles are the backbone, the basis, and the final word of why one might prefer a console over the other. Technical Specifications only carry so far in marketing, and some don't pay attention to specs at all - just the titles.

Being as gaming is a primary hobby of mine, I can usually justify owning every console per generation as ...most of the time, they each offer unique enough exclusives with a particular style that can't be found anywhere else.

Nintendo has Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong...etc...
Sony has Metal Gear Solid, Ratchet & Clank, core Kingdom Hearts, God of War...
Microsoft has Halo, Forza, Ace Combat...

... and the PC world is an entirely different realm all together with its own list of exclusives as well.

If you want to play any of those, (and there's something for everyone...) you're going to have to buy THAT console. I can't think of any stronger bargaining chips a company has.

Consequently, I strongly disagree with your proclamation that exclusives are irrelevant.
---
www.backloggery.com/lonlonmilklover
#7BeknessPosted 2/1/2013 8:45:56 PM
I put over 120 hours into it. $1.25/hr is very cheap entertainment :D.

Technically you need to pay for the electricity to charge it.
<_<

How did you play so many hours, though? It took me around 27 I think. (I like that feature at the end it tells you how many enemies you've beaten etc.)

Anyone 1 exclusive for me, if I really want to play it
---
Never gonna give you up
#8AstroshakPosted 2/1/2013 8:58:32 PM
I really could not care less how many platforms a game is made for. If I want to get a game, then I will.

In order for me to find purchase of a console worthwhile, then there needs to be a singificant number of games available for it - regardless of what other platforms they may be available on - enough to have a combined cost at least equal to the cost of the console itself. If the console is $300, then I'd need to have at least $300 worth of games for that console that I want to buy, out for it, when I buy the console. Odds are I won't drop that full $600, but that number of games available requirement is still there.

It does not matter whether the games in question are exclusives, or if they are also available for PC and another platform. What matters is whether I am interested in getting the game on the console I am considering purchasing.

Exclusivity? If I already have the game, then I am not very likely to be interested in getting it for a new console, so from that standpoint it affects whether I am interested in buying the console; but that is because I do not look at games I already have when it comes time to consider games for another console. Why would I, I already have it? I am looking at games I DON'T have - whether they're available for a platform I have already or not is immaterial.

In other words, as long as I don't already have a game, that game can be used to satisfy the game requirement for purchase of another console, even if it is also available for a system I already own.
#9TiaelPosted 2/1/2013 8:58:44 PM
I'll be buying a Vita for Ys: Memories of Celceta, but I'll still get stuff like Uncharted: Golden Abyss and P4G, among other games.
So really, only one game for me to buy a system, but I'll find more to enjoy.
---
Playing: Ni no Kuni - Captain Whamtastic http://i.imgur.com/IVH6BX0.jpg
Dragon Quest > Ys >Tales > Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all four. Da Bears!
#10arstosPosted 2/1/2013 9:01:02 PM
Depends, if it's Zelda, phantasy star, or monster Hunter than 1 is enough, otherwise I'll wait for a decent library of games to build up before purchasing
---
PSN: dragonlibrarian plays; Awesomenauts, Skullgirls, Jojo's HD, SSFIITHDR, SFIII: OE, MVC2, AH3, KoF 94/95/96/XIII, VF5:FS, P4A, GGXXAC+HD, CS:GO, UTIII