This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone here used to love JRPGs but now can't stand them?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Anyone here used to love JRPGs but now can't stand them?

User Info: Vergil_the_Blue

Vergil_the_Blue
3 years ago#1
I'm 29 years old, almost 30. I used to love JRPGs duringthe PS1 era and a little bit into the PS2/Xbox/Dreamcast/Gamecube era. I remember one game that really changed things for me was Star Wars:Knights of the Old Republic. This game blew me away. The way I felt playing it it was like an RPG except this time I could actually choose my own path, make my own decisions and really experience the story rather than just watch the story play out pre-scripted.
Ever since Knights of the Old Republic I could not go back to JRPGs. Playing them feels like just playing a graphic novel. Lots of games have great stories in them that aren't RPGs so what else is there in a JRPG to hold my appeal? The turn based combat system? I wasn't a fan of that even when I was a fan of JRPGs. It's just that back then there weren't many non RPGs that were heavily story driven.

Why can't JRPGs try making games that give us non-linear storylines ever? If I want a linear story I could just read a book and there are plenty of good non-RPGs that have decent linear stories already.

User Info: Irony

Irony
3 years ago#2
ok
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hwco6d.jpg

User Info: este914

este914
3 years ago#3
Never liked them to begin with.
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !

User Info: PhaseSlaethe

PhaseSlaethe
3 years ago#4
Because -

story with an actual goal >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> "non-linear" BS

Is an actual thing to some people?

User Info: MahoganyTooth92

MahoganyTooth92
3 years ago#5
Mainly because JRPGs nowadays suck.
"Mahohgay Teeth, you are wrong. Target Finder does not ignore Cold Blooded. U mad?"-HuffyChicken

User Info: theshoveller

theshoveller
3 years ago#6
I used to like them a lot, but find it hard to get into them nowadays. I think I like being able to make my own characters a lot more than using "premade" characters, which is the norm in many JRPGs. That said, there's a few I still like - I'm enjoying Ni No Kuni, for example.

Vergil_the_Blue
3 years ago#7
este914 posted...
Never liked them to begin with.

Thing is back in the day I was a console gamer. The terms WRPG and JRPG didn't exist. Back then the proper distinction was computer RPG and console RPG. I think had I been a PC gamer back then I probably would've given up on JRPGs long before Knights of the Old Republic since the non-linear storyline in that game had already been a staple of computer RPGs for years.

User Info: toadieman

toadieman
3 years ago#8
No
PSN: toadieman

Vergil_the_Blue
3 years ago#9
PhaseSlaethe posted...
Because -

story with an actual goal >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> "non-linear" BS

Is an actual thing to some people?

You do have a goal in non-linear games. What makes it better is that there are multiple ways to achieve that goal.

User Info: PhaseSlaethe

PhaseSlaethe
3 years ago#10
It doesn't just inherently make it better when there is no hook to most of those "non-linear" games.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Anyone here used to love JRPGs but now can't stand them?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived