This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone here used to love JRPGs but now can't stand them?

#1Vergil_the_BluePosted 1/29/2013 11:42:42 AM
I'm 29 years old, almost 30. I used to love JRPGs duringthe PS1 era and a little bit into the PS2/Xbox/Dreamcast/Gamecube era. I remember one game that really changed things for me was Star Wars:Knights of the Old Republic. This game blew me away. The way I felt playing it it was like an RPG except this time I could actually choose my own path, make my own decisions and really experience the story rather than just watch the story play out pre-scripted.
Ever since Knights of the Old Republic I could not go back to JRPGs. Playing them feels like just playing a graphic novel. Lots of games have great stories in them that aren't RPGs so what else is there in a JRPG to hold my appeal? The turn based combat system? I wasn't a fan of that even when I was a fan of JRPGs. It's just that back then there weren't many non RPGs that were heavily story driven.

Why can't JRPGs try making games that give us non-linear storylines ever? If I want a linear story I could just read a book and there are plenty of good non-RPGs that have decent linear stories already.
#2mogar002Posted 1/29/2013 11:43:43 AM
ok
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hwco6d.jpg
#3este914Posted 1/29/2013 11:43:50 AM
Never liked them to begin with.
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#4PhaseSlaethePosted 1/29/2013 11:44:44 AM
Because -

story with an actual goal >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> "non-linear" BS

Is an actual thing to some people?
#5MahoganyTooth92Posted 1/29/2013 11:45:24 AM
Mainly because JRPGs nowadays suck.
---
"Mahohgay Teeth, you are wrong. Target Finder does not ignore Cold Blooded. U mad?"-HuffyChicken
#6theshovellerPosted 1/29/2013 11:45:46 AM
I used to like them a lot, but find it hard to get into them nowadays. I think I like being able to make my own characters a lot more than using "premade" characters, which is the norm in many JRPGs. That said, there's a few I still like - I'm enjoying Ni No Kuni, for example.
#7Vergil_the_Blue(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 11:45:56 AM
este914 posted...
Never liked them to begin with.

Thing is back in the day I was a console gamer. The terms WRPG and JRPG didn't exist. Back then the proper distinction was computer RPG and console RPG. I think had I been a PC gamer back then I probably would've given up on JRPGs long before Knights of the Old Republic since the non-linear storyline in that game had already been a staple of computer RPGs for years.
#8toadiemanPosted 1/29/2013 11:47:27 AM
No
---
PSN: toadieman
#9Vergil_the_Blue(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 11:47:57 AM
PhaseSlaethe posted...
Because -

story with an actual goal >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> "non-linear" BS

Is an actual thing to some people?

You do have a goal in non-linear games. What makes it better is that there are multiple ways to achieve that goal.
#10PhaseSlaethePosted 1/29/2013 11:48:42 AM
It doesn't just inherently make it better when there is no hook to most of those "non-linear" games.