This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone here used to love JRPGs but now can't stand them?

#71deadmarvPosted 1/30/2013 10:43:41 AM
MahoganyTooth92 posted...
Mainly because JRPGs nowadays suck.

---
All PS3 owners should boycott Bethesda.
#72TerotrousPosted 1/30/2013 11:42:30 AM
Vergil_the_Blue posted...
JRPGs aren't creative, they're just random. Talking furries, lolis with huge swords, adolescents who use the power of love and friendship to destroy evil. There is no creative thought put into the world of JPRGs. It's just whatever the writer's pull out of their ass.

The setting really doesn't have much to do with JRPG vs WRPG. There are all kinds of WRPGs where the setting is just "generic swords and sorcery". Very few games have a world as interesting and richly developed as, say, Shadowrun. However, something like Xenoblade likely comes pretty close.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#73Ryan SiPosted 1/30/2013 1:22:36 PM
I'm 25 and I have a lot of SNES, PS1, and PS2 JRPGs in my collection. But, the only one I've really enjoyed this generation is Xenoblade.

I just don't have much interest or time to put into 60+ hour RPGs anymore. I've really been enjoying a lot of 2D platformers, casual games, and I've always liked FPSs of the non-military kind (Red Faction, Half-Life, GE007, Perfect Dark, DOOM, Quake, etc).

They're just easier to pick up and play by yourself and are more friendly towards "non-gamer friends" (or I'll be honest, girls I have over...Wii Sports Resort FTW).
---
Most Wanted: Bit.Trip Runner 2 (PC), Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) Final Fantasy X HD (PS3)
#74deprofundis442Posted 1/30/2013 2:07:47 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...
MahoganyTooth92 posted...
Enix Belmont posted...
I still play JRPGs out of nostalgia, but yeah, I can't say I find many outside of Persona 3/4 that really get me hooked.

If you own a 360 or a capable PC, check out The Last Remnant
I loved it, having hated every JRPG made this gen.

That game's boring and ran like crap on the 360...

Only played PC version, but it was far from boring mate. It's quite good.
#75Jon_GodPosted 1/30/2013 3:16:16 PM
I like the graphic novel style storytelling in Japanese RPGS, it often to me at least, feels a lot deeper than other RPGs.

Knights was a great step in the right direction, but mostly other RPGs feel like stumbling around in a big world with not a lot going on.

Now, two things to note, I've only played 2 JRPGs this generation, and I still also enjoy other RPGs. It's just I don't feel they can be put in the same bracket when it comes to storytelling.
---
PS3 Fan, but doesn't mind other systems. PSN: Jon_God, XBL: Ernie the Bear
http://savemgo.com/forums/
#76LittleYamiPosted 1/31/2013 4:53:59 PM
Vergil_the_Blue posted...
JRPGs aren't creative, they're just random. Talking furries, lolis with huge swords, adolescents who use the power of love and friendship to destroy evil. There is no creative thought put into the world of JPRGs. It's just whatever the writer's pull out of their ass.

Seriously? What the hell kind of jrpgs you've been playing?
#77LittleYamiPosted 1/31/2013 4:57:13 PM
I've heard of Shadowrun, but never knew it was an RPG. The one I saw was an FPS for the 360.