This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Jim Sterling:Sony shows subscription services how it's really done

#21UniversquallPosted 1/29/2013 1:11:06 PM
They aren't the same thing + Doesn't charge you for Youtube, Facebook, Twitter.
---
NP: Jurassic Park (PS3) Skyrim (PC) Jetpack Joyride, Final Fantasy I (Vita) Nope (WiiU60)
#22mmpepsiPosted 1/29/2013 1:11:36 PM
DADDYISSUES posted...
Besides, it's a lot more than you get paying $60/year for XBL.

You get similar deals with Gold.

Plus this isn't a direct comparison, PSN+ is a rental service with discounts, not an online service. Whether you pay or not the "quality" of the service is the same, which is why it's not really a threat to XBLG.

Not nearly as good. PS+ gives discounts the day a game comes out most of the time. I can't think of many times Live has done that.

Plus the discounts are huge. Live is pretty stingy and it's usually only a small percentage.

And my problem with XBL is what it is. You get all that for free on PSN. Plus is just an add on, not required. You're paying for things on Live that you really shouldn't have to.
#23ShineboxerPosted 1/29/2013 1:13:16 PM
They aren't the same thing + Doesn't charge you for Youtube, Facebook, Twitter.

But the online sucks and you have no party chat, I'd rather pay a minuscule fee once a year than waste my time on an inferior service.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#24UniversquallPosted 1/29/2013 1:15:17 PM
Shineboxer posted...
But the online sucks and you have no party chat, I'd rather pay a minuscule fee once a year than waste my time on an inferior service.

It's a shame that it sucks for you. I couldn't go back to wasting money with XBL
---
NP: Jurassic Park (PS3) Skyrim (PC) Jetpack Joyride, Final Fantasy I (Vita) Nope (WiiU60)
#25DADDYISSUESPosted 1/29/2013 1:15:53 PM
You get all that for free on PSN. Plus is just an add on, not required.

That's what I mean, it was a deflection. Sony couldn't be bothered to fix the online service or make killer apps for it, they just threw a dozen games at it and stuck 8 in rotation and charged for that instead.

You're paying for things on Live that you really shouldn't have to.

It's pretty much a World of Warcraft vs. F2P MMO.

No amount of "but x is free" is going to detriment the premium experience. Want in to the best club, you gotta pay the cover charge.
---
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a41/iceageco/darth_hamlet.jpg
#26FungumPosted 1/29/2013 2:02:35 PM
DADDYISSUES posted...

That's what I mean, it was a deflection. Sony couldn't be bothered to fix the online service or make killer apps for it, they just threw a dozen games at it and stuck 8 in rotation and charged for that instead.

No amount of "but x is free" is going to detriment the premium experience. Want in to the best club, you gotta pay the cover charge.

These people have probably never used XBL. The online service is so much better than PSN it's ridiculous. If a lot of my closest friends didn't have a PS3, neither would I.
#27UniversquallPosted 1/29/2013 2:03:15 PM
DADDYISSUES posted...

lol
---
#28lostkiwiPosted 1/29/2013 2:21:08 PM
For those that don't support PS+ due to the fact that you can only play games while you subscribe, well you're only missing out due to your own stubbornness.

I've only been subscribed for about 4 months, I own most of the full release games that they've released, yet I've still played 10 games from the List (Limbo, Cubixx HD, Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One, LittleBigPlanet 2, Scott Pilgrim vs the World, Starhawk, Bulletstorm, Motorstorm Apocolypse, Retro/Grade, & Machinarium).

And not only that, there's been about another 25 that I've chosen not to download.

And add to that, when I finally get a Vita, I'll have about 30 games waiting for me in my download list.

All that, and I'm not even half way through my $50 subscription. Hell yes.

I actually get genuinely excited at the end of the month when they release the next months content.
---
Check out my investigation into 7th generation exclusives here:
http://rustygamer.wordpress.com/
#29king_maddenPosted 1/29/2013 2:23:36 PM
DADDYISSUES posted...
Besides, it's a lot more than you get paying $60/year for XBL.

You get similar deals with Gold.

Plus this isn't a direct comparison, PSN+ is a rental service with discounts, not an online service. Whether you pay or not the "quality" of the service is the same, which is why it's not really a threat to XBLG.

you mean year long rental service with discounts and free items. you should also mention that a year long rental is more than enough, since most people these days dont play games for long anyway. so they get to "rent" games play them fully, come back in the future and play them some more if they want, if they like games sounds like a decent deal. xbox live offer anything like that? I would rather receive rentals, than not receive them.

but wow the column was right, xbl members delude themselves with minor things to justify their wasted money "yea well its worth it to have to pay extra to use netflix, and play games, at least we have party chat!!" thats some of the saddest stuff ive heard in a while. mainly because you only look at yourself, what about the person, who just occasionally plays online, but likes netflix, you really justify them paying yearly for xbl, on top of paying for netflix? not everyone on xbox cares for party chat, or playing online often, but I guess to you that makes sense that they are forced to pay if they want to use services they already pay for.

and you justify that.....
#30mmpepsiPosted 1/29/2013 2:47:53 PM
DADDYISSUES posted...

No it's not. Microsoft doesn't host the servers for games, the publishers/devs do just like they do on PS3. The online is the same except you have to pay $60 a year to MS to be able to play online at all.

Aside from party chat there is absolutely nothing XBL offers that PSN doesn't.