This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm embarking on the Metal Gear Solid quest. Anything I should know?

#1ps3_gamer_norgePosted 1/29/2013 4:26:48 PM
After seeing so many rave reviews and such praise for the Metal Gear Solid saga, I have decided to finally try it out. I have had metal gear hd collection for both vita and ps3 since their release, and never got around to them, but I'm ready. I also just ordered metal gear solid 4 25th anniversary edition (does this include anything extra?)

I will be playing them in this order:
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid 4

I know there will be at least one guy saying I should buy metal gear solid 1 and play that first, but I can't be bothered. If I get really into the series I'll purchase it after I'm done with mgs4.

So, what do I need before I jump in with both feet?

Thanks!
#2SigmaHacielPosted 1/29/2013 4:27:16 PM
Play MGS1.

Then just go 2,3,4.
#3vsmanPosted 1/29/2013 4:28:47 PM
Yeah, MGS1 is a must. It still holds up decently. However, it probably has the best story.
---
3ds Fc: 1504-5734-2341 name: vsman
Pm me if you want to add me on 3ds.
#4TheCyborgNinjaPosted 1/29/2013 4:28:53 PM
Definitely start off with MGS (PSN store) or Twin Snakes (if you have access to a Gamecube).
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#5blakmogPosted 1/29/2013 4:29:05 PM
Don't skip 1 ... it's a great game.
---
: PSN : Blackmog : PLAYING : WoW - DIABLO III :
: Best game ever : DEMON'S SOULS (>^^)>
#6Zack_Attackv1Posted 1/29/2013 4:30:17 PM
To this day, I will never understand why so many get such a hard on for the Twin Snakes. It must be the lack of difficulty that appeals to all the casuals, much like the fourth poster.
---
|L|A|y|l|A|
My anti-drug
#7SigmaHacielPosted 1/29/2013 4:31:06 PM
Zack_Attackv1 posted...
To this day, I will never understand why so many get such a hard on for the Twin Snakes. It must be the lack of difficulty that appeals to all the casuals, much like the fourth poster.

It seems like a much better polished MGS.

Of course that makes it slightly easier. The "difficulty" of MGS1 came more from poorly handled mechanics.
#8Guerrilla SoldierPosted 1/29/2013 4:33:12 PM
TS is a revamped MGS that adds even more ridiculousness to the story with absolutely nothing productive. It's a huge laugh at the game and should be completely avoided if at all possible.

That said, you should DEFINITELY play MGS1 before you start the series. There's no reason to start at 2, and you'll miss most of the entire point of 2 even existing.

Play MGS1 first.
---
CainExodus - Oakland A's fan: 2012 AL West Champions
Keep the A's in Oakland!
#9UniversquallPosted 1/29/2013 4:34:27 PM
Despite how it has aged. You shouldn't skip MGS.
---
NP: Jurassic Park (PS3) Skyrim (PC) Jetpack Joyride, Final Fantasy I (Vita) Nope (WiiU60)
#10Dark_FluxPosted 1/29/2013 4:35:10 PM
I dont understand why someone who has never played the MGS series would assemble all those games without having any prior experience and yet decide to skip over the first in the series...
---
PSN ID : Dark-Flux2