This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm embarking on the Metal Gear Solid quest. Anything I should know?

#31riddlebox89Posted 1/29/2013 4:20:29 PM
Some things you should know.

Play them in release order, as in, 1, 2, 3, PO, 4, PW, you'll get the story confused if you try playing in chronological order your first time through.

MGS1 is not the first game in the franchise, Metal Gear on the MSX is.

And despite some peoples childish arguments, the MGS franchise is not and has never been a Playstation franchise.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#32UniversquallPosted 1/29/2013 4:24:41 PM
riddlebox89 posted...
Some things you should know.

Play them in release order, as in, 1, 2, 3, PO, 4, PW, you'll get the story confused if you try playing in chronological order your first time through.

MGS1 is not the first game in the franchise, Metal Gear on the MSX is.

And despite some peoples childish arguments, the MGS franchise is not and has never been a Playstation franchise.

That. It's just the first choice for Konami. Anything else comes after.
---
NP: Jurassic Park (PS3) Skyrim (PC) Jetpack Joyride, Final Fantasy I (Vita) Nope (WiiU60)
#33Guerrilla SoldierPosted 1/29/2013 4:24:57 PM
You're playing on a Vita, man. You can change the controls to map X with O and the other way around. You can also put the front touch bottom left/right to the item/weapon menus if you'd like.

Portable Ops is a complete 50/50 maybe get, maybe don't get, but Peace Walker is absolutely essential to the story, so play it after MGS3.
---
CainExodus - Oakland A's fan: 2012 AL West Champions
Keep the A's in Oakland!
#34MegaMettaurPosted 1/29/2013 4:29:42 PM
Zack_Attackv1 posted...
To this day, I will never understand why so many get such a hard on for the Twin Snakes. It must be the lack of difficulty that appeals to all the casuals, much like the fourth poster.

Twin snakes is just as hard as the original. Meaning they both aren't very hard. Twin snakes uses a better engine which is why people like it. Deal with it.
---
(VITA): DJ Max Technika Tune. (Ps3): Infamous 2, KoF. PSN: Roksor.
(PC): Mabinogi, Lunatic Rave 2
#35ps3_gamer_norge(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 4:31:41 PM
Guerrilla Soldier posted...
You're playing on a Vita, man. You can change the controls to map X with O and the other way around. You can also put the front touch bottom left/right to the item/weapon menus if you'd like.

Portable Ops is a complete 50/50 maybe get, maybe don't get, but Peace Walker is absolutely essential to the story, so play it after MGS3.

I forgot about that.

By the way, how do I kill people or knock them out? I started punching this guy down, but he got back up pretty quickly.

I just went up the elevator btw
#36riddlebox89Posted 1/29/2013 4:33:36 PM
ps3_gamer_norge posted...
Guerrilla Soldier posted...

I forgot about that.

By the way, how do I kill people or knock them out? I started punching this guy down, but he got back up pretty quickly.

I just went up the elevator btw

Knock them out, punch punch kick them, or choke hold them and keep tapping until they stop struggling.

Kill them, punch punch kick them off a high ledge, shoot them, or choke hold them and keep tapping the button until their neck cracks like a twig.
---
#37ps3_gamer_norge(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 4:35:10 PM
How do I choke hold?
#38Xenesis XenonPosted 1/29/2013 4:35:20 PM
It won't be long until you find yourself a pistol either, which can obviously be used to shoot guys.

But for the most part it's healthier for you to avoid being seen by enemies in the first place - all the patrol patterns can be snuck through.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#39Guerrilla SoldierPosted 1/29/2013 4:36:41 PM(edited)
I'd also recommend mapping the D-pad to both sticks, that way if you end up using the bottom left menu for items, you can navigate it easier without having to use the left side of the Vita. Also, not sure if it's something you do or it's just me, but turning off the Rear Touch is better for every game...

Good luck!
---
CainExodus - Oakland A's fan: 2012 AL West Champions
Keep the A's in Oakland!
#40riddlebox89Posted 1/29/2013 4:36:39 PM
ps3_gamer_norge posted...
How do I choke hold?

Unequip any weapon you're holding, get up close to them and press and hold the square button.

You have to not be moving while doing this though, cause if you're running, get close to them and hit square, you'll just knock them on their ass.
---