This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Metal Gear Rising related to Metal Gear Solid in any way?

#1lostkiwiPosted 1/29/2013 5:18:25 PM
I know nothing about the franchise, but I hear nothing but praise for Metal Gear Solid.

I tried the Metal Gear Rising demo last night, and it definitely wasn't for me. I'm just wondering how closely it's associated with Metal Gear Solid, since I hope to try the series on day.

I assume that it falls within the same franchise? But since they are different games, with different characters, are the games tied in any way, either story wise or gameplay wise?
---
Check out my investigation into 7th generation exclusives here:
http://rustygamer.wordpress.com/
#2SigmaHacielPosted 1/29/2013 5:19:04 PM
Sorry, people in Australia. If you've found yourselves in the ocean suddenly, I slammed my head so hard the planet broke a little.
#3ReyMilansteryoPosted 1/29/2013 5:19:34 PM
Metal Gear Rising takes place some years after Metal Gear Solid 4
---
PSN: DGray_Squally
Now playing: Dishonored (PC), MGS 3 HD, Mass Effect, AC 3, MGS Peace Walker, FF VII (PC remake),Borderlands 2 (PC)
#4lostkiwi(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 5:31:01 PM
SigmaHaciel posted...
Sorry, people in Australia. If you've found yourselves in the ocean suddenly, I slammed my head so hard the planet broke a little.

Right... So people who have never played a single Metal Gear game are supposed to know everything about the franchise?

Hmm, if only there was some sort of discussion forum where they could find these kind of things out.

Oh wait.

PS - I live in Australia, and I'm still on dry land. Perhaps you should slam your head back into that keyboard a little harder.
---
Check out my investigation into 7th generation exclusives here:
http://rustygamer.wordpress.com/
#5SmoshCuchPosted 1/29/2013 5:33:50 PM
Story-wise, yes it is related.

Gameplay-wise, they are in different genres.

If you didn't like MGR, that doesn't mean that you wouldn't like MGS. (Doesn't mean you would either, of course.)
#6riddlebox89Posted 1/29/2013 5:42:05 PM
Rising is a spinoff that uses the story of the other games as it's background, but it's technically not related.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#7killakPosted 1/29/2013 5:45:49 PM

You know we have a lot of serious flooding right now, right?
---
My Setup - http://tinyurl.com/b6k98sp
#8bigdeezPosted 1/29/2013 5:46:07 PM
Don't mind sigma, he is a new user and always has a smart ass remark.

It's a spin off of the Metal Gear Solid series. It does star Raiden who also starts in a couple of the Metal Gear Solid games.
---
I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings. - Max Payne
#9SigmaHacielPosted 1/29/2013 5:50:04 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#10RyuuHou25Posted 1/29/2013 5:51:52 PM
It's about a somewhat main character (Raiden) in the MGS series, he was the main character for much of the second game.

This is just a continuation of his story really and set in the same universe as MGS as it takes place after 4. It might reference some of the events from older games, but I doubt it will happen that often.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB