This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

what does rebuild database do on ps3?

#1LOSTinTOKYOPosted 1/29/2013 6:19:56 PM
I already did restore system file on PS3 so much times already and deleted all the Game Data Utility including the dlc because i have a corrupt disc data. Then, I had to re install it lol. After that, I played the game and then it froze again for the 100 TIME!!! (O_o) So now I'm wondering and thinking about what rebuild database exactly do? Will it delete things like game saved data? Please Help? Who experienced this HELP! lol
#2OaklandRaiderzPosted 1/29/2013 6:20:51 PM
it will make your ps3 perform %1000 faster and get rid of all viruses and stuff.
---
wat
#3Crimson SkysPosted 1/29/2013 6:24:07 PM
Sony updated the database so if you do it you'll get a ton of free games.
---
"You spoony bard!" -- Tellah (Final Fantasy IV)
#4LOSTinTOKYO(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 6:24:33 PM
so should I just do that? or should i buy a usb flash drive then put it into my ps3 so i can backup then after that i go into safe mode and choose number 5 so everything could be deleted then put every thing back from my usb what do you think?
#5beebarbPosted 1/29/2013 6:38:56 PM(edited)
Rebuild database, does as it implies.

It rebuilds the internal database that says what is on the system. This mode will only delete Playlists, Grouping Folders/Albums, and in some cases the PSN account password if you have the system set to remember it.

Sometimes it's a good idea to use this function, particularly when you are getting no real results with the Restore File System function. As sometimes a damaged database can affect the Restore File System's ability to determine what actually needs fixing.

Edit: I just read what the other posters said, they have no idea what this function does.

What game froze exactly? A freeze is more often than not a bug in the game or a damaged game disc, not a problem with the system. You may have to wait for a patch, or get rid of the game/replace the game.
---
We shall rise again to start anew.
White FC: 0862-2660-4156 / 3DS FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 4556-7836-2644
#6LOSTinTOKYO(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 6:41:09 PM
@Crimson Skys now i know you are being sarcastic lmao. and @ beebarb thanks for responding the title is called dead or alive 5 idk why my most favorite game alongside the upcoming tomb raider is having a corrupt file. this is stressing lol what do you recommend for me to do?
#7beebarbPosted 1/29/2013 6:52:55 PM
LOSTinTOKYO posted...
@Crimson Skys now i know you are being sarcastic lmao. and @ beebarb thanks for responding the title is called dead or alive 5 idk why my most favorite game alongside the upcoming tomb raider is having a corrupt file. this is stressing lol what do you recommend for me to do?

First of all take a look at the base of the disc, and look for any scratches or heat damage*. Fingerprints can be wiped off, so they aren't usually an issue.

If there are any obvious scratches and/or heat damage, then there is an issue with the disc. If not, and you experience no issues with other games it is likely a software issue, and you will have to wait until a patch is issued.

* Heat damage is characterised typically by a visible rippling rainbow effect across the affected area, and/or a warping of the physical disc. With things like movies this kind of damage doesn't pose much of a problem, but can be for games as a part of the game's program or resource files could be corrupted by the damage.
---
#8LOSTinTOKYO(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 7:12:39 PM
more earlier i put the disc up to the light and i saw a very very small rainbow thing and then it left me wondering if it was damaged but the disc isnt even scratched and i compared the dead or alive disc with a new game i got and they look exactly identical (no scratches)
#9beebarbPosted 1/29/2013 7:58:08 PM
LOSTinTOKYO posted...
more earlier i put the disc up to the light and i saw a very very small rainbow thing and then it left me wondering if it was damaged but the disc isnt even scratched and i compared the dead or alive disc with a new game i got and they look exactly identical (no scratches)

The DoA disc may have some minor heat damage, if the rainbow effect had a rippled appearance to it. Still, if the area of heat damage is small, it shouldn't be causing significant problems. Since neither title has scratches, that can be ruled out as a cause of the freezing.

If you can somehow borrow a different copy of the DoA game, you can check to see if the other disc freezes, to completely confirm or deny a disc issue.

Another thing to try is using a lens cleaning disc (preferably one designed for the PS3 or Blu-Ray players). As a clean reading lens can have a better chance of handling disc variances caused by scratches and heat damage.

If after all that the game still freezes, that would only leave the possibility of a software bug in the game or the PS3 System Software.
---
#10LOSTinTOKYO(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 8:14:01 PM
thats what im going to try to do. thank you so much! you gave me a good idea and if the disc has no problems for a back up im going to save all my game files to the usb then wipe out everything after that ima backup the memory and im going to see if the problem still occurs. This corruption file thing way too much! lol. lol i hope i want have to buy a new game