This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand how Sony affords Playstation +

#1kahPosted 1/29/2013 6:58:23 PM
I pay what, 45 dollars for a year, right? Just a month or two ago I got Gravity Rush for free. Right before that I got Borderlands for free. Today I got Ninja Gaiden Sigma for free, which was priced at 35$ on PSN. I also have literally dozens of games downloaded that I haven't even had time to play.

So like, I understand discounts of games. I also understand that a lot of the free games are from Sony-owned studios or they are dated or didn't do well commercially. But how do you get Tecmo and Gearbox and other developers to just give away their games for free? What possible incentive do they have unless they are directly getting $$$ from Sony?

Maybe Sony is giving them free ad space and promotion on PSN for other games they develop if they let them use that game for free that month?
#261degreesPosted 1/29/2013 6:59:36 PM
sony gives them a load of money. People buy plus, they get money from PLUS.

I guess the more people buying PLUS the better free stuff you'll get.
#3Xenesis XenonPosted 1/29/2013 7:00:23 PM
For every person who plays everything in their PS+ collection, there are dozens who'll only play one or two and yet will still resubscribe every year.

It's like an annual Gym membership. For every person who gets their money's worth out of it, there are a handful who don't really use it enough but still pay for it.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#4ExpelDiasFlacPosted 1/29/2013 7:02:56 PM
But that "free" stuff is no longer valid once your subscription expires. I'd rather buy games and actually own them instead of "renting" them.
#5MourningReignsPosted 1/29/2013 7:09:15 PM(edited)
They usually give us games that have passed their selling peak. They are basically getting profits (developers and Sony) for games most people didn't want originally or giving away publicity for a sequel.
---
I finally won a mod dispute. Too bad it got overturned a day after my suspension ended.
#6brycemorrPosted 1/29/2013 7:08:28 PM
MourningReigns posted...
They usually give us games that have past their selling peak. They are basically getting profits (developers and Sony) for games most people didn't want originally or giving away publicity for a sequel.

Just like Ninja Gaidian Sigma + 2 is coming out next month so give away 1 for the vita owners to see if vita sales/game sales pick up.
---
psn: bdawgtimes84
#7DemiFistPosted 1/29/2013 7:10:26 PM
ExpelDiasFlac posted...
But that "free" stuff is no longer valid once your subscription expires. I'd rather buy games and actually own them instead of "renting" them.

This argument gets so old and is overused.
---
Eluveitie greatest Band Ever, So "Get Da Folk UP!!!"
#8MourningReignsPosted 1/29/2013 7:12:28 PM
ExpelDiasFlac posted...

Most of the stuff they are giving you free you would have bought by then if you truly wanted them.

The benefit is you get to try lots of stuff you consider junk. A lot of the times it might be, but you might find something you like and you can go out and buy other titles in the series.
---
I finally won a mod dispute. Too bad it got overturned a day after my suspension ended.
#961degreesPosted 1/29/2013 7:12:54 PM
ExpelDiasFlac posted...

ok, so buy stuff and never play them after a year.
#10InfernoSDPosted 1/29/2013 7:19:05 PM
Same way Steam does it. Keep in mind it costs next to nothing to sell a game digitally. These developers have nothing to lose - except potential sales - by adding their games to PS+. So even if Sony's only paying a developer $0.50 per PS+ download, they're both still coming out way ahead.

You can argue that these developers can hope to keep selling digital copies, but evidently it's just not happening. Probably because they're just priced poorly, for what people are willing to pay, and compared to used physical copies. PS+ is basically letting them sell their games at 1/10th the price, but with a hundred times as many buyers.
---
|| ||\ || ||"" ||"" ||"") ||\ || /''''\
|| || \|| ||"" ||, ||""\ || \|| \,,,/