This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand how Sony affords Playstation +

#31nclrwntrPosted 1/30/2013 7:00:51 AM(edited)
Ryan Si posted...
WantedOutlaw posted...
Aalvi posted...
DemiFist posted...
ExpelDiasFlac posted...
But that "free" stuff is no longer valid once your subscription expires. I'd rather buy games and actually own them instead of "renting" them.

This argument gets so old and is overused.

It doesn't magically make it invalid.

Indeed. It just makes them seem really dumb. It's like people saying they don't subscribe to Netflix because they don't have access to the movies and TV shows once they cancel their subscription. Or even that they don't get to pick out which TV Shows or movies are available on Netflix so they don't sign up. No s***. That's how a subscription service works.

Netflix streaming service is like $7-8 a month and you can watch everything w/o limits. PS Plus is a lot more expensive simply to sign up and then you still have to pay to play certain "Plus" games (even at discount).

Your comparison is a joke. Maybe next time.

PS+ is $4.17/month. Half of Netflix. You get to watch whatever you want on Netflix that Netflix offers you. Same with PS+. Play the games they offer as much as you want. Netflix takes down content after a certain period of time and then you have zero access to it. PS+ takes down content after a certain peroid of time, but you'll always have access to it as long as you're a subscriber.
#32KouenZanPosted 1/30/2013 7:05:00 AM
as someone mentioned before, PS+ is like Steam sales

great advertising for sequels (Like NG and Borderlands) and sparking up interests for old games
---
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
#33Nightmare966Posted 1/30/2013 7:15:44 AM(edited)
It's easy, actually:

-You have digital games.

-You have a suscription service available.

-Some of the games are really good and their profit/sales are already made.

So, in this case, the games goes to the Plus IGC. The publisher earns money for a game that will probably not sell that much anymore, Sony gets money from suscribers and people get great games to play.

I mean, you don't seriously expect that LittleBigPlanet 2, inFamous 2, Stramger's Wrath HD or Ninja Gaiden Sigma+ are going to lose lots of sold copies. It might even add them more revenue than without "free" games at all.

Plus, it's a good marketing tool. I mean, in EU they've been giving great stuff like crazy, just like Crysis 2 or Borderlands. Both games had a sequel incoming.
---
PSN: Nightmare966
#34Hello_MeloPosted 1/30/2013 7:14:38 AM
wstfld posted...
I think PS+ is going to force me to get a Vita. Maybe that's their plan.

1. That's one.

2. It keeps you playing your PS3. Like when you pay for Live, you want to get your money's worth. It's a cycle too, so if you get Borderlands free on PS3, you're more likely to get the sequel on PS3.

3. They put up older games or games with sequels coming out. I never played inFamous until it was on PS+ and I liked it so much I bought the second one at retail.

It's the Trojan horse thing. They've got their hooks in you, now you're more likely to buy their stuff.
---
I love you.
#35KouenZanPosted 1/30/2013 7:40:16 AM
it's also a great game rent service

like the gold online portion renting of some of the 360 games

*runs*
---
#36kah(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 2:41:38 PM
There are really people that don't think PSN+ is worth the value? I have easily played over 100$ worth of games in the past four months, and I still have tons of games to check out that look great or ones I might not have ever tried.

Not to mention the automatic updates and online storage is excellent. Or that I just got the Unfinished Swan for freakin 3 bucks.

That's why I have trouble understanding how the service is profitable for them - it's such a great value and it's even exciting to log into the PSN store every week or so to see what I get next. Ninja Gaiden was a game I had considered dropping the cash for and now I get to play it for free.
#37CrankShaftPosted 1/30/2013 2:58:59 PM
Without ps+ i never would have played Just Cause 2. Sony you have my thanks
#38blaze19_0XPosted 1/30/2013 3:03:36 PM
The games are not free, they are rented. You are renting them out for a yearly subscription fee. They are not yours for eternity.

Also, the games they give out this way are WELL past their selling points. They tend to be titles that are hardly selling at all anymore so they aren't losing much by giving them out.

Lastly, it costs virtually nothing to sell digitally vs physical copies.
#39KouenZanPosted 1/31/2013 8:45:39 AM
blaze19_0X posted...
The games are not free, they are rented. You are renting them out for a yearly subscription fee. They are not yours for eternity.

Also, the games they give out this way are WELL past their selling points. They tend to be titles that are hardly selling at all anymore so they aren't losing much by giving them out.

Lastly, it costs virtually nothing to sell digitally vs physical copies.

yeah but compared to its competition you're basically renting the online part

full games >>>>>>> online portion
---
#40stalepie29Posted 1/31/2013 9:16:58 AM(edited)
They probably can't afford it forever. Is there anything in the license agreement that keeps them from adding an expiration date to stuff you've downloaded (even if you stay subscribed)?

I think PS+ is great so far. The discounts are another good aspect because if you unsubscribe you get to keep your discounted purchases. But I wish they'd add movies into the mix. (Maybe PS+ subscribers should get the same price for HD rentals as SD? a dollar off? Or a few bucks off select new release titles).

kah posted...
So like, I understand discounts of games. I also understand that a lot of the free games are from Sony-owned studios or they are dated or didn't do well commercially. But how do you get Tecmo and Gearbox and other developers to just give away their games for free? What possible incentive do they have unless they are directly getting $$$ from Sony?

I figured they did get money..They don't?