This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Your Best Impulse Buy and your Worst Impulse Buy

#61nihilist212Posted 1/30/2013 8:13:18 AM
Only 2 games I ever bought on impulse were Borderlands 1 and Castlevania: LoS. Both were 2 of my favorite games this gen.

Wait, I lied. I also bought Darksiders 1 on impulse, another of my favorites this gen. I've been really lucky so far.
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#62Dirk_McHardpeckPosted 1/30/2013 8:15:52 AM
Best: Red Dead Redemption
Worst: Battlefield 3
#63HabefietPosted 1/30/2013 8:22:07 AM
I haven't made a true impulse buy in a long time. Reason below.

Best: Advance Wars. I was young and bored and dreading a long drive home and got my parents to let me spend some allowance money on a new Gameboy Advance game on a whim. This was the game I chose. I've poured more hours into the Advance Wars franchise than almost any other series. The only ones that I can think of that exceed it are Pokemon, Tales of (almost entirely Symphonia, I played that game a LOT), Super Smash Brothers (almost entirely Melee, since it's way better than either of the others imo), and maybe Mass Effect. Maybe. Actually no, probably not even Mass Effect.

Worst: Lunar: Dragon Song, an RPG for the DS. I wanted a new RPG and I vaguely knew that Lunar was a decently respected series. This game. Hoooooooly ****. The soundtrack is basically the only good thing about this game. This is probably the worst game I've ever played to completion that wasn't broken in some way like Sonic 2006 (which I played explicitly for the giggles at the terrible-ness of it all). It's just... awful. You can't choose what enemies you target, you have to choose in advance whether you're fighting for experience and loot, you ****ing lose health when you run on the ****ing overworld map so you have to move at like two inches per second because the walking animation is unbearably slow, the story blows, the main antagonist literally falls off of a pedestal because of a sudden earthquake and dies before you fight him at the end, so the final boss is just an upgraded version of an earlier boss for absolutely no reason, and that's just all the big things, there were lots of little things that were just... ffuuuuUUUUUUUUU. For reference, I just looked up the game again to look through some old reviews--Eurogamer called the battle system "comfortably the worst in 20 years of RPGs."

I have never, ever bought a game again without knowing something about it and being decently confident that I'll like it, or at least without it being from a franchise that I've come to respect. Lunar DS was single-handedly responsible for teaching me not to buy something--be it a game or any other product or service--without making sure I know what I'm getting first if possible. So in that way I suppose it was valuable, lol.
#64enigma2274Posted 1/30/2013 8:22:45 AM
Best: Dark Souls
Worst: COD Black Ops 2
---
Currently playing:EDF 2017, P3P, LBP Vita, Far Cry 3, Ni No Kuni
#65USFPosted 1/30/2013 8:25:03 AM
Best: Anno 1404. If we're talking strictly PS3 then I would say Ni No Kuni.

Worst: CoD MW2. My friend convinced me it can't possibly be as bad as it looks, so even though I was against buying it months before it came out, the conversation we had on its release made me go out and get it. What a ****ing mistake.
And Red Dead Redemption. **** dull boring version of GTA.
---
Because the door was open. Blue skies.
Currently Playing: Ni No Kuni, DoTa 2, LoL, Anno 2070, Xcom: Enemy Unknown.
#66Icy_the_penguinPosted 1/30/2013 8:26:50 AM
Best: Dragon Quest 8
Worst: Brink
#67NovaKaneXPosted 1/30/2013 9:48:49 AM
Best: Uncharted 2

Worst: GTAIV
---
http://i40.tinypic.com/f50jfr.jpg
Cot damn!
#68jrr18Posted 1/30/2013 9:49:53 AM
Best dead space 2 and x-com
worst GTA 4
---
Victory over Namco destroyer of games through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#69pixel378Posted 1/30/2013 9:51:50 AM
Worst- Friggin Batman arkham city man. Worst money I've spent in years.

Best- I'm thinking ni no kuni.
---
MGO- Mr. Detroit
#70-Crazy_Dude-Posted 1/30/2013 10:11:06 AM
Best: Demon Souls, Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time DX

Worst: FF XIII, AC Revelations, Uncharted 2