This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand...

#21jubjub360(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 11:18:49 AM
MourningReigns posted...
It was in the daylight, so people think the scares were taken away. RE was never scary.

I don't know... I played Lost in Nightmares last night and a window breaking kind of made me s*** bricks.
---
I am the TRUE Message Board Superhero- Getting rid of trolls one at a time. You're welcome.
~Number of trolls owned:2~ ~ Number of fans:11~
#22RygonPosted 1/30/2013 11:21:04 AM
Action and multiplayer are the devil. The people on the internet wanted single player horror. RE5 and 6 are not in that genre. I love co-op shooters and RE5 is my most replayed one this gen. Also my most replayed RE. I'm currently playing through RE6 with my friend and having a blast. Thankfully Capcom is catering to me and leaving the haters behind.
---
http://backloggery.com/war_lion108
#23MourningReignsPosted 1/30/2013 11:23:30 AM
jubjub360 posted...
MourningReigns posted...
It was in the daylight, so people think the scares were taken away. RE was never scary.

I don't know... I played Lost in Nightmares last night and a window breaking kind of made me s*** bricks.

Is a jump scare really scary though? It's not going to scare you the second time through. You know it's going to happen, so it's just a cheap tactic.

There should be dread knowing an enemy is coming around the corner and you hate facing it. That can occur every playthrough.

The only time something was scary in RE was Nemesis because he never stopped following you. You knew he could be there any moment, but didn't know when.

Other than that, it has never been scary.
---
I finally won a mod dispute. Too bad it got overturned a day after my suspension ended.
#24JoveHackPosted 1/30/2013 12:10:31 PM(edited)
jubjub360 posted...
ryouma17 posted...
i dont understand the question

People b****ed about RE5 in general but no one ever really stated what was wrong with it.

It's not what was "wrong" with RE5. It's what was missing that RE4 did better.

- Merchant
- Upgradeable attache case
-- Seeing everything in inventory to the same scale.
- Treasures, including ones that could be combined.
- Yellow herbs.
- Leon never punched a boulder.
- Enemy reactions to being hit.
-- Different reactions depending on where they'd been shot, too.
-- Shooting the limb off of a Regenerator gives feeling of realism that's almost unequalled. It's not just that the reaction happens, but that the action is slow enough that you can see it happening in exquisite detail.
-- When an enemy didn't react, that meant either you missed, or this was a very tough enemy.
- The boss fights
-- Chief Mendez and his alternate forms.
-- Salazar
-- Del Lago
-- El Gigante
-- 2x El Gigantes with vastly more hit points.
-- It aka U3
-- Verdugo
- Slower combat to let you appreciate the horror of the situation. Fast-paced combat reduces even the most horrific enemy to a blur.
- Variety in gameplay and settings. Each chapter in 4RE felt different. For that matter, just the difference between the day and night in the Village environs.
- Dogs, snakes, birds, wolves, egg-laying chickens, cows, bats, spiders, large bass, small bass, etc. added to the feeling that the world was real in 4RE. And they could all be killed, sometimes for treasure an items.
- Ada Wong.
- The extras:
-- The Mercenaries.
-- Shooting Gallery mini-game.
-- Assignment Ada
-- Separate Ways.
- Forced co-op with an AI.

My advice is to get someone to play co-op with you any way you can. If you live alone, kidnap a hobo or train your dog extremely well. Anything. - Yahtzee Croshaw.

- Shout outs to other franchises, and references to previous games.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ShoutOut/ResidentEvil4
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Trivia/ResidentEvil4

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
http://primal.wikia.com
#25RygonPosted 1/30/2013 11:34:49 AM(edited)
A list of opinions stated as qualifying factors that make one game better. Why does the merchant character make the game "better"? Why is Mercs in 4 "better" than 5? Why is an attache case "better" than real time weapon switching? Why are those bosses "better" than Wesker or the Executioner?
---
http://backloggery.com/war_lion108
#26JoveHackPosted 1/30/2013 11:55:05 AM
Rygon posted...
Why does the merchant character make the game "better"?

Because even a bad justification for a game mechanic is no justification at all. And the Merchant is a great character in his own right.

Why is Mercs in 4 "better" than 5?

There you've got me. I shouldn't have included that. I'll leave it in so as not to falsify this conversation.

Why is an attache case "better" than real time weapon switching?

That was explained in my post.

Why are those bosses "better" than Wesker or the Executioner?
Wesker's just another man. So is the executioner. Faster or bigger, maybe, with a strange weapon.

Krauser is the equivalent of Wesker.

Dr. Salvadore is the equivalent of the executioner, right down to the bag on his head.

Chief Mendez has two combat forms. One greatly distorted human, the other barely human. In a dust filled barn with eerie music. Slow enough combat to see and appreciate the atmosphere.

El Gigante isn't just an oversized model, but actually moves more like a giant being. Slow to start a movement, but can be very fast once up to speed. Many different attacks, too. His intro cutscene doesn't even manage to show all of them.

Verdugo should need no explanation. Combination of Alien and Predator. Very different attacks, starting with the QTEs. The cutscenes from Verdugo's point of view are also great for setting the scene.

"It" is very different from almost everything before. Ditto Salvador, and Saddler for that matter. None of them felt like fighting a human being. None of them were much like either of the other two.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
http://primal.wikia.com
#27tigerex777Posted 1/30/2013 12:11:44 PM
So many reasons

1. Too coop oriented
2. Transferring items between the characters is unnecessarily complicated and annoying
3. Too action oriented, although re4 was somewhat more action oriented than the previous games it was still very balanced and extremely well paced. Re5 not so much.

People don't understand why people praise re4 and not 5 when they think they are similar but the only similarity is with the controls and that is it. In terms of pacing, locations, enemy types, boss fights, length, not coop oriented, better item upgrading and storage system, no stupid dead space wannabe real time item management...RE4 is superior in every way. RE6 is pure junk and not even with comparing.
---
i5 760 @ 3.8ghz / 4GB DDR3 Ripjaws / GTX 460 SLI @ 800/2000 / Cooler Master GX 750W PSU / Cooler Master Advance II case / Acer 22 1680x1050 / Windows 7 64
#28AwesomePS3gamerPosted 1/30/2013 6:05:23 PM
pixel378 posted...
5 was better than 6. But 5 had chris instead of Leon.

How is that bad? Chris is a great character, I thought RE5 wasn't as good as 4 though, btw.
#29UniversquallPosted 1/30/2013 6:06:59 PM
No idea. 4 is the only one I don't like.
---
NP: Jurassic Park (PS3) Skyrim (PC) Jetpack Joyride, Final Fantasy I (Vita) Nope (WiiU60)
#30656stoogePosted 1/30/2013 6:08:14 PM
I didn't mind RE5. I quite enjoyed it actually. But nothing, NOTHING sucks more in a video-game than failing because your AI died.

Forced co-op was a bad idea. They should have made the second character appear in multiplayer only.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ_wbc3Z5C8