This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will Sony keep PSN around for ps3 after the release of ps4?

#1monkeyman1911Posted 1/30/2013 10:03:53 AM
In order to run their psn for ps4 will they end up shutting it down for the old ps3 or keep it up for a bit? If so, for how long? If not, then when will it be turned off for the initial ps3?
#2Raven-ZPosted 1/30/2013 10:05:33 AM
Why would it be shut off at all? They'll just write the PS4 compatibility into the PSN's code like they did with the Vita.
---
PSN/GT/Steam: Ravendust
Reviews are a metric of quality. Sales are a metric of popularity.
#3EoinPosted 1/30/2013 10:19:01 AM
The Vita was released around a year ago (more in Japan) and so far the PSP's networking capabilities remain completely intact.

When you start seeing PSP infrastructure getting switched off, then you can assume that from that point on, the PS3 has at least two years of the equivalent service left (e.g. if the PSP PlayStation Store gets switched off in 2015, it's a fairly safe assumption that the PlayStation Store will be there for the PS3 until 2017).

Personally, I believe that Sony will keep the PS3's PlayStation Network services running for as long as they can, only shutting down servers for older, more unpopular games (which they occasionally do already anyway). I can't imagine anything being turned off for quite a while.
#4justchill433Posted 1/30/2013 10:21:11 AM(edited)
PSN will be unified across all their devices. The PS4 will still be able to download everything on the PS3 store.
---
PSN: s1l3nt_x_cha0s GT: xziT4L3NTZx
*slips of cliff*
#5_tanjil_Posted 1/30/2013 10:25:03 AM
It's actually because of that I feel that PS4 might have BC. When PS4 comes out, it will probably have a small library of games, it seems like a waste of good business not to have all the PS3/2/1 content available for purchase from the get go
#6RemakeMePosted 1/30/2013 10:27:12 AM
PSN games made for PS3 i'm not sure will work for PS4.

If that were the case then there wouldn't be seperate PSN titles for PS3 & PSN....only things will be backwards compatible will be minis and regular psn titles
---
PSN=TwoCoiNs MvC3 teams - Main - Doom, Taskmaster, 2nd Tier - Haggar, Sentinel, Wesker, Tronne- 3rd tier Shehulk and Spencer.
#7archizzyPosted 1/30/2013 10:27:23 AM
_tanjil_ posted...
It's actually because of that I feel that PS4 might have BC. When PS4 comes out, it will probably have a small library of games, it seems like a waste of good business not to have all the PS3/2/1 content available for purchase from the get go

I think people expecting BC are going to be let down, unless you are only looking at maybe PS1 BC. All signs point towards it not happening.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#8RemakeMePosted 1/30/2013 10:35:18 AM
archizzy posted...
_tanjil_ posted...

I think people expecting BC are going to be let down, unless you are only looking at maybe PS1 BC. All signs point towards it not happening.

Agreed - people expecting to play their digital copies of Assassins creed 4, Uncharted, Resident Evil, Dead Space and so on will be disappointed.

The good news is PS5 will probably be able to play PS4 games and digital titles because of the lesson they learned.
---
PSN=TwoCoiNs MvC3 teams - Main - Doom, Taskmaster, 2nd Tier - Haggar, Sentinel, Wesker, Tronne- 3rd tier Shehulk and Spencer.
#9EoinPosted 1/30/2013 10:42:36 AM
archizzy posted...

I'm expecting an absolute minimum of PSone, PS2 and Minis being compatible and I expect at least some form of additional backwards compatibility using Gaikai. Sony have a strong business interest in ensuring that they retain as much backwards compatibility as possible (so that people retain their purchases and are more inclined to stick with PlayStation) and I suspect that they'll want to achieve that. I understand the thinking behind the people suggesting that the PS4 won't be backwards compatible with very much, but major differences in architecture are something that Sony managed to get around with the Vita (where the backwards compatibility is limited more by lack of downloadable versions and licensing issues more than by technology).
#10work_a_holicPosted 1/30/2013 10:45:36 AM
I see them using Gaiki for that as well. They wouldn't just buy it for no reason.