This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will Sony keep PSN around for ps3 after the release of ps4?

#21archizzyPosted 1/30/2013 1:28:11 PM
Eoin posted...
archizzy posted...
I think people expecting BC are going to be let down, unless you are only looking at maybe PS1 BC. All signs point towards it not happening.

I'm expecting an absolute minimum of PSone, PS2 and Minis being compatible and I expect at least some form of additional backwards compatibility using Gaikai. Sony have a strong business interest in ensuring that they retain as much backwards compatibility as possible (so that people retain their purchases and are more inclined to stick with PlayStation) and I suspect that they'll want to achieve that. I understand the thinking behind the people suggesting that the PS4 won't be backwards compatible with very much, but major differences in architecture are something that Sony managed to get around with the Vita (where the backwards compatibility is limited more by lack of downloadable versions and licensing issues more than by technology).

I think their is a distinct line drawn in the sand between handhelds and home console in my opinion.

Really it comes down to launch library lineup and the strength of early titles as well as hardware costs and initial pricing.

When you sell your hardware for minimal profit or even a loss which is common you depend on strong software sales.

The thing that hurt the PS3 the most wasn't the cost of BC, wasn't even the initial launch price. The single thing that hurt them the most was a slow building library that made everyone just use their launch PS3 as a pricey PS2.

They had to spur software sales, hence the removal of physical BC models being produced.

Making the same mistake would be costly. Especially considering more than any other generation the hardware had a higher than normal failure rate. When you move away from just gaming and start making multi-media machines this is going to happen to some degree but it will make a lot of people hesitant to jump in on the PS4 right away, even if the initial library is good.

I'm not saying it 100% won't be. I'm just leaning towards very limited use and certainly not full PS3/2/1 like some are hoping for.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#22bigdeezPosted 1/30/2013 1:30:31 PM
ya but what about ps3 users
---
I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings. - Max Payne
#23EoinPosted 1/30/2013 1:45:26 PM
archizzy posted...
I think their is a distinct line drawn in the sand between handhelds and home console in my opinion.

Really it comes down to launch library lineup and the strength of early titles as well as hardware costs and initial pricing.

When you sell your hardware for minimal profit or even a loss which is common you depend on strong software sales.

The thing that hurt the PS3 the most wasn't the cost of BC, wasn't even the initial launch price. The single thing that hurt them the most was a slow building library that made everyone just use their launch PS3 as a pricey PS2.

The thing is, this coming generation is different, because Sony and Microsoft have both been building very wide infrastructures and have been doing their absolute best to give people reasons to stay within those infrastructures. Hence friends lists, trophies/achievements, persistent accounts, subscriptions, and so on. Backwards compatibility is part of that. Compatibility gives people a reason to stay with the PlayStation brand. A lack of compatibility gives them a reason not to.

I think Sony will have something in place. I have no idea whether it'll be the full compatibility that would be best for us. Perhaps it will be free and built-in full emulation, or perhaps it'll be Gaikai-based. Perhaps it'll require a purchase or a Plus subscription, or perhaps they'll sell a compatibility add-on. I don't think that they'll have nothing. If PS3 purchases are as meaningless on PS4 as they are on the next Xbox, then the PS4 loses a big potential advantage it had over the next Xbox from the perspective of PS3 owners.