This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If Studio Ghibli wasn't involved, nobody would care about NNK.

#1nekrothingPosted 1/30/2013 10:21:56 AM
It's unanimous, the only appealing thing about the game is Studio Ghibli's art-style.
#2carsaucePosted 1/30/2013 10:27:26 AM
That's not true, and not many who even watched Studio Ghibli movies play this game, nor even like Miyzazaki's movies, so not true, but this game is a come and go game, as how Dragonquest 8 was introduced to America and the commericials it got just to promote this game, and others bought the game just to play the demo of FFX 12, so that's true.
---
Someday, someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else. -anonymous
#3DocDeliciousPosted 1/30/2013 10:27:56 AM
You're right, in a sense.
If Ghibli wasn't involved I never would have given the game a chance. That said, even if the artstyle was completely different (and I wish it was after playing it) the game would stand on its own. It's got some solid ideas about what it thinks a fun RPG should be (granted, it stole most of those ideas from Pokemon lol).

Honestly though, I wish the artstyle was much, much darker and the familiars weren't so cute. They've got more than a few really badass "Guardians" in the game and it just makes the normal familiars seem that much more disappointing.
---
Ni No Kuni, Vanquish, DmC, Sound Shapes, Disgaea 4, Valkyria Chronicles, Need For Speed: MW 2012, Far Cry 3, Monster Hunter FU
PSN: DocDelicious
#4Devilman_AmonPosted 1/30/2013 10:29:01 AM
wrong
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#5RygonPosted 1/30/2013 10:29:04 AM
But they are involved, so what's it matter? You can reduce anything to make it sound worse.
---
http://backloggery.com/war_lion108
#6AlltraPosted 1/30/2013 10:32:18 AM
Obviously this is meant to be a troll post.

That said though, the thing that attracted me to the game was it's overall design. The Studio Ghibli stuff be damned, in all honesty I'd have preferred a more realistic, less cartoony art style, presentation, and storyline.

Explorable world map with hidden locations and items.
Monster Collecting and Training.
Classic RPG design ala Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Wild Arms, Lunar, ect...
Towns and points of interest.
NPC's to interact with.
Puzzles.
An engaging battle system.
Outstanding music.
Great visuals, even if I would have preferred something less cartoony, it does still look amazing.

I mean basically, this is the same style of RPG that made me fall in love with the genre in the first damn place. My enjoyment of this game has absolutely nothing to do with Studio Ghibli at all. I had never even heard of them until this game.
---
I sometimes feel as though life is a curse that has been placed on the living. I envy the unborn at times.
#7carsaucePosted 1/30/2013 10:33:49 AM
So many topics about this game, but I guess others are just so intimidated, they enjoy JRPGs and think this game is actually for them.
---
Someday, someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else. -anonymous
#8theshovellerPosted 1/30/2013 10:34:38 AM
nekrothing posted...
It's unanimous, the only appealing thing about the game is Studio Ghibli's art-style.

While I think it's what got me into it, I think the story was impacted by them also. It just seems like something they'd come up with, from what I've played of it. It's surprisingly good from more than just the "Studio Ghibli" aspect, in my opinion.

Plus, I had some fun naming that first guy you get "Anklebiter," and seeing him run around and go spastic when I give him chocolate bars. For whatever reason, seeing him go nuts when I give him one can put a smile on my face.
#9ratchet1848Posted 1/30/2013 10:35:35 AM
I have no idea who they are, I bought it because of Level-5.
#10dark trunksPosted 1/30/2013 10:39:45 AM
ratchet1848 posted...
I have no idea who they are, I bought it because of Level-5.

I know who Studio Ghibli is, but I would have bought the game simply because Level-5 were developing a new RPG for the PS3. The art style is just an added bonus for me.
---
"If you've got yourself a dream, work hard, believe in yourself because I know dreams can come true."- Dennis DeYoung 1997