This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why doesn't Sony make struggling games free to play?

#1ZephyrSSXPosted 1/30/2013 7:42:50 PM
Like Starhawk. A lot more people would probably play that if they got it for free and I don't just mean PS Plus free.

There's too many good games that are left dead in the water just because they didn't sell well. Might as well just let people play them for free after a point. It's not like they're losing sales.
---
Where most strive and train to get it right, I will relentlessly train so I never get it wrong.
#2killakPosted 1/30/2013 7:44:12 PM
Are you trying to anger those that actually paid for it, by giving it away shortly after, and potentially filling the servers with teamkillers and trolls?
---
Me - http://tinyurl.com/bslf5na
#3ZephyrSSX(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 7:46:47 PM
killak posted...
Are you trying to anger those that actually paid for it, by giving it away shortly after, and potentially filling the servers with teamkillers and trolls?

Where did I say to give away the game shortly after it was released?

Oh, it's killak. No wonder you're posting stupid crap.
---
Where most strive and train to get it right, I will relentlessly train so I never get it wrong.
#4zyrax2301Posted 1/30/2013 7:52:19 PM
Because giving something away for free without any profitable incentive is simply not an option. If it's a game where they can earn money via micro-transactions, such as DCUO, then it's an option.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#5NotCeoPosted 1/30/2013 7:52:49 PM
ZephyrSSX posted...
Like Starhawk. A lot more people would probably play that if they got it for free and I don't just mean PS Plus free.

There's too many good games that are left dead in the water just because they didn't sell well. Might as well just let people play them for free after a point. It's not like they're losing sales.

They're losing sales of other games.
If a person is playing Starhawk, they're not playing something else, something Sony would have made money off of.

Generally, the only time something goes free to play is when the game is loaded with microtransactions, or you need DLC to get any sort of enjoyment out of your game.
#6killakPosted 1/30/2013 7:53:09 PM
It aint that old, that's my point.

But good going on the ad hominem. Seems to be a trend among my haters
---
I believe in Jesus Christ, the exclamation.........
#7ZombiDeadZombiPosted 1/30/2013 7:54:18 PM
Starhawk is garbage. I liked it much better when it was called Section 8/Prejudice.
#8HwoarangExpert1Posted 1/30/2013 7:57:52 PM
If they gave away the game for free they would be cutting off all future sales of the game

sure the game sells slowly, but I'm sure it pays for keeping the servers running
---
PSN - Ziaro_7
#9ZephyrSSX(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 7:59:33 PM
killak posted...
It aint that old, that's my point.

But good going on the ad hominem. Seems to be a trend among my haters

It'll be a year old in a few months. Right now the game is lucky to have 20 games going that aren't even full. The community has been stagnating since just a couple months after the games release.

Anyone that likes the game and bought it when it was actually expensive and wants to play at this point is not going to mind that the community gets a boost for free. Games depreciate in value all the time. Anyone that got mad over it at this point has to be stupid.
---
#10killakPosted 1/30/2013 8:03:14 PM
It'll be a year old in a few months. Right now the game is lucky to have 20 games going that aren't even full. The community has been stagnating since just a couple months after the games release.

Games like Grand theft Auto, sell for years, and years after those years. You're pretty much giving up on it in less than a year..... if that's the case, they may as well save money and kill the servers, rather than losing more by giving the game away for free AND paying for server upkeep. This would annoy players, of course.

Anyone that likes the game and bought it when it was actually expensive and wants to play at this point is not going to mind that the community gets a boost for free. Games depreciate in value all the time. Anyone that got mad over it at this point has to be stupid.

You can speak for yourself, of course, but there could sill be negativity as a result. As I was saying, what if the servers just get flooded with teamkillers and trolls, making every round a pain in the ass? At that point it would be 'thanks Sony, you've ruined our community'

Stop insulting people when you're speaking for them.
---
This gen: Whining, gamers with an amazing sense of entitlement... waiting for pricedrops, cheering for studio closure and wondering why the industry changes