This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is getting the jak and daxter collection worth it only for Jak 3?

#1XNo_FearXPosted 1/30/2013 8:31:07 PM
Jak 1 looks boring and Jak 2 was annoying in some parts like the timed missions but i heard jak 3 was the best and I never tried it myself. Thoughts?
---
PSN ID: Ctx_Ghost
Playing: Far Cry 3, Payday The Heist, The Cave and Team Fortress 2
#2blablablax17Posted 1/30/2013 8:40:25 PM
Jack 1 was the best.
The series got worse with each game after the first.
---
Stalking the GameFaqs boards since '06.
#3kloud 11Posted 1/30/2013 8:57:05 PM
2 > 1 > 3
#4wstfldPosted 1/30/2013 8:58:12 PM
Why don't you just download jak 3?

I think it's worth it for 2 and 3. The first one is just a generic platformer.
---
Last Played: Civ 5 G&K (9.5/10)
Now Playing: XCOM Enemy Unknown, Civ 5, DmC, SOTC HD
#5legionofpancakePosted 1/30/2013 9:06:09 PM
Jak 3 is the best. Even if it's not a traditional platformer anymore, it still has plenty of platforming segments, pretty solid gameplay, the tightest driving controls I've ever played with (don't play many driving games though, so...), and a really well told story.
---
Well, Courtney Gears didn't seem to mind.
88 Fingers Louie were a hardcore punk band. 88 Fingers Eddward was a nickname on Ed Edd'nEddy. Pretty cool reference.
#6DragonXgbftPosted 1/30/2013 9:12:57 PM(edited)
IMO: 3 > 2 > 1

The Precursor Legacy was fun, but it felt too primitive for me. It felt like Crash 2.0. If I played it back then I would probably think differently about it (never played TPL, but played 2 & 3 before getting the collection). I feels the same about the first Ratchet & Clank, compared to its sequels. It didn't age well at all, and the strafe mechanic in Going Commando would arguably be the best addition to the entire series. But it was still an enjoyable experience.

2 takes much bigger risks than TPL, but not everything is done well. The checkpoint system is atrocious (it might as well not have a checkpoint system at all), and it may frustrate you. However, if you get past that, the game is very fun.

3 fixes what 2 did wrong and adds much more content and variety to the formula. The checkpoint system is much better this time around. Although I found the story lacking in a few parts, I enjoyed it the most out of the 3.

If you haven't played TPL or 2 in a long time, I would definitely reccommend getting the collection. It's $20 IIRC. The port is well done and I don't recall encountering many glitches. You can still purchase 3 in the PSN Store digitally.
---
PSN:RYNOCIRATOR
#7Godstriker8Posted 1/30/2013 10:28:46 PM
I played 1 when it first came out and thought it was pretty good, but after replaying it I think it's amazing. I used to think Jak 2 was REALLY good, but after replaying it I realize how tedious the missions get, how terrible the Checkpoints are, and how subpar the story actually is. Jak 3's constant vehicle missions disappointed me, but there is a lot of variety.
---
I'm just dickin aroouunnnd
SHAKE AND BAKE!
#8Evil_GogetaPosted 1/30/2013 10:43:15 PM
blablablax17 posted...
Jack 1 was the best.
The series got worse with each game after the first.

I love you, this is exactly how I think.
---
PSN/Wii U: GuiltyPersona Official Foreign JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken #1 Fan
Playing: (PS3) Shin Hokuto Musou, New game coming soon (WiiU) MH3GHD.