This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Reason as to why JRPGs are in their current state

#1EurAsianGirlPosted 1/30/2013 9:31:21 PM
So, pretty much everyone and their great-aunt knows that this gen has been pretty s**** for JRPGS. Most, seem to blame it on FFXIII as well as the emergence of COD fanboys and "dude-bro games, and Japan just getting bad at game design in general.

But really, is that TRULY the real reason?

Yes, they've been few in number but we've had some pretty good JRPGS this gen, on par with the PS2 era, such as Xenoblade, Arc-Rise Fantasia, Ni-No-Kuni, The Last Story and the Tales games. As well as handheld greats such as Legend of Heroes: Trails In The Sky and Radiant Historia.

It seems to me that the real reason for the downfall of JRPGS is this fact:

Most of our publishers suck!

The only good one is XSEED (I suppose Bamco is *trying* to make up for their bull-**** in the past, but I'd hardly call them "good")

They're not localizing the great, traditional JRPGS that we WANT to play! Instead publishers like NISA and Aksys give us moe/loli junk that no hardcore RPG gamer truly cares about. They don't just give us bad JRPGS, they taint the whole image of JRPGS which pushes the mainstream even further away from them!

Yes, the quality JRPGS have largely moved to handhelds due to production values for consoles sky-rocketing, but then why are these companies who supposedly say they "appeal" to the niche gamer; not releasing any of these high-quality JRPGS?

Why are they only localizing moe/loli pandering trash? Why does XSEED have to be the only one breaking their back to give us Falcom classics?

I'll say it once and I'll say it again: Its not so much that the JRPG genre declined ((Though that might be a truth when it comes to consoles.)) Its just the localization decisions suck now!

And that's basically the real truth of the matter...
---
JRPG lover and not ashamed of it
Avid fan of the Grandia and Lunar series.
#2OmegaPosted 1/30/2013 9:32:31 PM
tl:dr there bro.
---
When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself.
#3EurAsianGirl(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 9:33:51 PM
Omega posted...

The state of JRPGS is srz bsns to me.
---
#4Godly_GoofPosted 1/30/2013 9:34:25 PM
Except Atlus ports. Your argument is now invalid
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#5ShineboxerPosted 1/30/2013 9:35:34 PM

It's not worth the read, good call bro.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#6EurAsianGirl(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 9:36:02 PM
Godly_Goof posted...
Except Atlus ports. Your argument is now invalid

Should ports really count? Besides, I've never really seen Atlus localize any serious JRPGS besides Radiant Historia.
---
#7OmegaPosted 1/30/2013 9:36:17 PM
EurAsianGirl posted...
Omega posted...

Ok gotcha. :)
---
When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself.
#8EurAsianGirl(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 9:36:46 PM
Shineboxer posted...

It's not worth the read, good call bro.

Its because this whole board hates JRPGS amiright?
---
#9EurAsianGirl(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 9:38:29 PM
Omega posted...
EurAsianGirl posted...
Omega posted...

Ok gotcha. :)

Soo... Any thoughts on topic?
---
#10UniversquallPosted 1/30/2013 9:38:30 PM
Not everyone. Just you and some others.
---
NP: Jurassic Park (PS3) Skyrim (PC) Jetpack Joyride, Final Fantasy I (Vita) Nope (WiiU60)