This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is this typical for a fighting game fan? Am I still considered a newbie?

#1ZaiRedwintersPosted 1/30/2013 9:29:37 PM
I've been playing Super Turbo HD remix on psn for 4 years now and I still can't perform most of the combos with my main Ken (I do own a good arcade stick.). My wins online are 32 wins/90 losses. Is my progression common or should I have been "elite" by now? Also, is my skill transferable to other fighting games most of which I haven't had the opportunity to play yet?
#2Godly_GoofPosted 1/30/2013 9:33:57 PM
Ummm... Hard to say? Sounds like you just aren't practicing the moves themselves enough and are more trying to learn on the fly. I'd say go back and rehearse some of the harder combos in practice so that you can perform them easier when you need them.

And sort of transferable. Most fighters reuse a lot of the same inputs just for different moves. Although fight style stays specific to the character so it's hard to say for sure.

And 32/90 for 4 years isn't amazing, but I don't know how much you play either or the types of opponents you've been fighting to really say
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#3chaosflame108Posted 1/30/2013 9:34:24 PM
LOL Damn son, i became proficient at SF4 within 4-5 months. Just imitate what other players do with the character you use.
---
I AM SATANAIL. HE WHO SHALL SET RIGHT THIS DISTORTED UNIVERSE!!!
#4NicodimusPosted 1/30/2013 9:38:27 PM
SF2 (any version) isn't really about combos to begin with. It's about playing mind games. Mixing up your attacks and defenses to keep your opponent frustrated. Block beats strike, throw beats block, strike beats throw. It's more or less rock-paper-scissors, except for projectile attacks, which are easy enough to deal with.
---
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
#5chiefofsb78Posted 1/30/2013 9:38:33 PM
What ST has combos but 4 years your record should be better than that and with only a little over 100 matches you havent played much maybe thats it and newer games are more easy than the older games you probably would do better with those like UMvC3 & P4U