This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Funny how murder is more acceptale than rape in gaming

#151DefYouthPosted 1/31/2013 4:15:22 AM
Damien94 posted...
DefYouth posted...
It's not true. I'm just saying that murder is worse than rape.

And what is your reasoning and justification for this statement? What makes murder worse than rape?

The victim ceases to exist. What makes rape worse than murder?
---
Well, if I'm going to hell, I'm going there playing the piano. - Jerry Lee Lewis
#152DefYouthPosted 1/31/2013 4:16:49 AM
killak posted...
I think the real issue is that we were originally discussing games.

And in the world of video games, and an infinite amount of lives being snuffed without a second thought.... Rape is a much worse act.

let's leave it at that, as it's the only reasonable response.

need a reason why it's acceptable? Because rape hasn't penetrated (no pun) video games to a "meh" stage yet.

Agreed. In video games, rape is worse than murder. I have no desire to rape someone in a game...but I have killed and will kill again. LOL
---
Well, if I'm going to hell, I'm going there playing the piano. - Jerry Lee Lewis
#153UniversquallPosted 1/31/2013 4:17:35 AM
Damien94 posted...
Then give a specific example of a murder that was worse than a rape. You clearly state that "sometimes murder is worse than rape". Well, give an example.

And Def-whatever your name is, answer the question.

I don't research either. I was going on what was said earlier. That people would prefer it if victims were murdered instead. Which isn't always the case. If I was murdered everyone around me would think that was worse.
---
NP: Jurassic Park (PS3) Skyrim (PC) Jetpack Joyride, Final Fantasy I (Vita) Nope (WiiU60)
#154Damien94Posted 1/31/2013 4:19:29 AM
DefYouth posted...

I guess you're oblivious to all the testimony from rape victims that they wish they had been murdered instead. Many turn to suicide. Rape is another word for sexual torture. Are you going to say that murder is worse than torture? If so, I think we're pretty much done here.

When you cease to exist, you can no longer feel pain. You don't feel anything. It's the null set. And even if you believe in an afterlife, that afterlife is supposedly paradise.

A rape victim is tortured by their experience every day.
---
Contrary to popular belief, opinions can be, and often are, wrong.
#155killakPosted 1/31/2013 4:21:20 AM
Agreed. In video games, rape is worse than murder. I have no desire to rape someone in a game...but I have killed and will kill again. LOL

Much easier to get back on topic once you realised "whoa, we're arguing about rape and murder in video games, and talking about real life crimes.......errrr what???"

And late last year, in Australia we had a radio broadcaster go missing for days on end. It was pretty much a given that she was abducted and raped, but it really hit home once you heard that she had been found dead.

However, that speaks of the 3rd person perspective , since the family would've been ecstatic to have her home and to look after her....but to the one experiencing it..... she might've preferred to die at that point

Anyways, that just brought the reality side back in, but I was just offering an outside perspective, in which i'd largely agree that murder is worse. I mean, i'd hate to lose my partner to a murder, but i'd be lost as to her frame of mind if she was ever raped.

And that's where i'll leave my non gaming related discussion.
---
When the evil Shredder attacks, These turtle boys don't cut 'em no slack.
#156jammiesPosted 1/31/2013 4:22:12 AM
Trolling: Provoking other users to respond inappropriately

Successful topic is successful.
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#157DefYouthPosted 1/31/2013 4:23:07 AM
Damien94 posted...
DefYouth posted...

I guess you're oblivious to all the testimony from rape victims that they wish they had been murdered instead. Many turn to suicide. Rape is another word for sexual torture. Are you going to say that murder is worse than torture? If so, I think we're pretty much done here.

When you cease to exist, you can no longer feel pain. You don't feel anything. It's the null set. And even if you believe in an afterlife, that afterlife is supposedly paradise.

A rape victim is tortured by their experience every day.

See, I'm not oblivious to it though. I am oblivious to the testimony of murder victims. And I like that you're telling me how it feels to die when you've never died.
---
#158DefYouthPosted 1/31/2013 4:24:40 AM
killak posted...

Much easier to get back on topic once you realised "whoa, we're arguing about rape and murder in video games, and talking about real life crimes.......errrr what???"

And late last year, in Australia we had a radio broadcaster go missing for days on end. It was pretty much a given that she was abducted and raped, but it really hit home once you heard that she had been found dead.

However, that speaks of the 3rd person perspective , since the family would've been ecstatic to have her home and to look after her....but to the one experiencing it..... she might've preferred to die at that point

Anyways, that just brought the reality side back in, but I was just offering an outside perspective, in which i'd largely agree that murder is worse. I mean, i'd hate to lose my partner to a murder, but i'd be lost as to her frame of mind if she was ever raped.

And that's where i'll leave my non gaming related discussion.

Yeah, I'm done. People are acting like I'm pro-rape here and its making me uneasy.
---
#159GenzenPosted 1/31/2013 4:24:46 AM
For me, it comes down to the fact that there can be arguably justifiable reasons behind taking someone's life - there's no such thing for rape.

If I kill someone, it could be in self-defence, or in defence of someone else - it might even be a mercy-killing to spare them from pain and torture before inevitable death. I might kill someone because they kill my children or violate my wife or offend my beliefs etc - whether or not you think any or all of those reasons do justify it is up to you, but the point is, there are reasons you can give for taking a life.

With rape, you can't really say 'I raped him before he raped me' in the same way you can about killing. You don't protect someone else by raping the assailant - the only reason it's done is for the offender to get off on the power and/or the sexual pleasure. It's a completely selfish crime with no justification or empathy behind it.
---
Check out my Quickening Guide for FFXII
#160howdyneighbor25Posted 1/31/2013 4:25:47 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]