This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

alot of games, alittle money, to game buy or to game fly...that is the question

#1ConflictedX3Posted 1/31/2013 2:39:00 AM
o.k i've been out of gaming for awhile, busy working, the last game i really got to play was resident evil 6 which i've been playing since release and still haven't beaten (on Ada)

but now theres a bunch of games out and coming out that i want but don't have the necessary funds for, being:

DMC Devil May Cry
Ni No Kuni
Metal Gear Rising
Naruto UNS3
Last Of Us
and eventually, Beyond from the makers of heavy Rain

now i really have two options really, work my butt off to come up with about $300 to buy all these in the next few passing months even with discounts, or rent them with about a $25 monthly charge

so my question is, how is gamefly? and is there any hidden termination fee's if i wish to do so in the future? my friend had it, loved it, but ended it, mainly just to stretch his money of more games for less price for a few months which i'll prolly be doing in this case, but nowing my rare & sporadiac time periods (3+ months and not enough to beat RE6 once yet) to play games, would this be a smart move? also i'm big on DLC, especially for the goku outfit pre-order on Naruto UNS3, would i be missing out on that if i rented? (ofcourse in this case i could just but UNS3 and rent the rest)

thanks for all your help in advance
---
PSN ID: ConflictX3
Name: Conflict
#2Ryphis_DemeanorPosted 1/31/2013 3:08:32 AM
Here's my help:

Don't get Gamefly. Such a waste of money. I would rather see you get PS+ because at least it lasts for a full year and is the cost of 2 months of gamefly. Just buy the games you want so you own them and have all the time to beat them.

Spend some of that money on other things and instead just buy one game and beat it. I say this from the perspective not as a bitter person but as a person that has a backlog, but all I do is play Dark Souls because the game is superior to all else. So just focus up on one game and get yourself something nice, a new jacket, a device of some electrical sort, or just a good old purge of good food.
#3Ryphis_DemeanorPosted 1/31/2013 3:11:34 AM
sorry btw about your major question. I don't like gamefly but if you do live super near a distribution center it can be worth it but the problem is none of the games you listed can probably be truly beaten in a month. With fast turn around games or just trying out a bunch of games Gamefly serves its purposes but for games you truly want than it is a worthless service because the fee doesn't justify the rental fee.
#4ConflictedX3(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 9:17:34 AM
kk thnx, i mainly thought of it because i was talking to a gamestop employee who was ranting and raving about DMC and how the total play time is 12 hours and metal gear rising is looking around the same, i know a "12 hour" play time for me is about 10-11 days to accomplish, so those are fast turn arounds, but i did figure ni no kuni would be atleast 3-4 months lf work, and i mainly want naruto for the online, after online dies down to just the die-hard players i was gonna quit/sell it like i did all the others

i do trust your opinion however, does anyone else have any input? if not i may just go for full purchase of 1-2 games and let the rest rot to good ol' $30 pre-own purchases (which will most likely be DMC, Ni No Kuni, & last of us)
---
#5theshovellerPosted 1/31/2013 9:22:30 AM
I'd say pass on Gamefly also. While it's nice for older games they might have available for shipping, newer games have always been a real PITA to get through them.
#6toadiemanPosted 1/31/2013 9:25:42 AM
Do you want to be amazing? I hope so.
---
PSN: toadieman
#7theshovellerPosted 1/31/2013 9:27:09 AM
toadieman posted...
Do you want to be amazing? I hope so.

His backpack made me fly into a brick wall ,so I'm suing him for infinity-billion pesos.
#8digressivePosted 1/31/2013 9:53:44 AM
Sounds like I'm the only one in this thread who is going to be pro GameFly. I have been with them for well over a year.

Yes, you are paying a monthly fee, but for even the biggest plan they have (4 discs out at a time), you are paying less than a new release.

I have never seen a PS3 disc that was damaged in any way.

If you pay attention to release dates and how long it takes for games you drop in the mail to get back to them, you can make sure you always get new releases as soon as they are available.

My queue has nothing but upcoming releases that I want to play.

When the next big game is coming out, I make sure they get one of my games back by they Saturday before the new game comes out (or I pay to keep a game I have out with discounts as detailed below).

Come Monday, I get a notification that they have shipped the new game.

I live fairly close to a shipping center, so I get the game on Wednesday.

I have never missed a new release that I wanted when making sure I follow the above.

It doesn't matter how "big" the release is; if I have an open spot on my plan the day before the game officially releases, and there is nothing else on my queue that is even out, I get it.

And this does work for 2 new releases on the same day as well.

And if I get a new release that I love and want to keep? I can click "Keep It" and they ship me the box, manual, and unused online-pass/dlc codes. Free shipping too!

Once you have had GameFly for 6 months, you get 5% off all used/keep it purchases. At 12 months, you get 10% off. In addition, every 3 months you get a $5 coupon.

I got No Ni Kuni in my mailbox the day after it was available at retail. A couple days later, I paid less than $40 and it's mine to keep.
#9ConflictedX3(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 10:00:34 AM
^^soon as u said they send the manual and dlc code + discounts over time i was practically sold

but question, if i rent a game that needs an online pass like tekken tag tournament 2, will they give me an online code to play online during my rent or only if i pay to keep it?
---
#10digressivePosted 1/31/2013 4:07:40 PM
ConflictedX3 posted...
^^soon as u said they send the manual and dlc code + discounts over time i was practically sold

but question, if i rent a game that needs an online pass like tekken tag tournament 2, will they give me an online code to play online during my rent or only if i pay to keep it?

No, you don't get a code if you are only renting. You only get them if you pay to keep the game.

D