This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which PS1 FF has the best story? I am only buying 1

#41KaliestoPosted 1/31/2013 10:59:00 AM(edited)
Play 9, you won't regret it if you love Fairy-tale style art.

Though I'm kind of sad 7 didn't work out for you, but everyone's tastes is different.
---
"GameFAQs is a giant MMO text adventure." - Clarifinatious
"I've beat it twice." - TheLichLord
#42Dave4202Posted 1/31/2013 11:00:14 AM
6 is my recommendation, definitely the one that stands out in my mind for amazing characters and memorable moments. I loved every minute of it.
---
http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/home/overview/?name=KingGuy420&platform=ps3
#43mk_spiritPosted 1/31/2013 11:03:37 AM
IX

And personally I think VIII has one of the worst stories in the history of gaming.
---
PSN ID: TheBlackFool
#44KaliestoPosted 1/31/2013 11:04:27 AM
PoorCountry posted...
Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy VIII, if you consider Squall's story to be the story of VIII. The plot's whatever.

Final Fantasy IX's got Vivi, but if it comes to making a decision based on one character, I'd choose VIII. IX's plot got very disappointing to me after disc 2. It just turns into any old save-the-world thing and Zidane's character gets kind of dumb.

Final Fantasy Tactics' is probably the best. Awesome game.

Well that's the whole point of a RPG of conventional story-telling, but I thought the progression with Zidane was ok. Final fantasy has the word fantasy in it for a reason.
---
"GameFAQs is a giant MMO text adventure." - Clarifinatious
"I've beat it twice." - TheLichLord
#45Bronze_StuffPosted 1/31/2013 11:10:50 AM
LtMessiahDM504 posted...
LtMessiahDM504 posted...
Materia was magicite completely overhauled. The same basic principles applied but it was 10x better. I liked 6 and 7 probably equally.

To bring up what another poster mentioned, FF Tactics is easily the best FF game from PS1 era. While its not the same basic JRPG gameplay, its still taken in turn form, allows TONS of depth, great character interaction, good story, and tons of stuff to do.

FF Tactics might be my favorite game with a Final Fantasy in the title.

No. It's not overhauled. For starters, no one in FF7 has a set class like they do in FF6. Everyone can use all of the equipment sans the weapons. The only thing that differentiate people in FF7 are limits, weapon and stats. that's it. In FE6, it's equipment as well. All of it. Not just the weapons.

For materia, you put materia on to learn skills and level up the materia to advance the said skills. With Magicite, you put on an Esper, learn the magic and then you're done with it outside of wanting stat boost. That's not the same at all. I can't equip Cloud with Fire Materia and then level it up and then Cloud permanently knows Fire 1. You can't learn skills forever in FF7, you do in FF6. That's a huge difference.

What are the set classes in FF6? Also, what does the equipment have to do with the magic/magic learning system besides of course the open weapon slots?

Not permanently learning the spell opens up choice in who uses what and when. It also brought about linking and IMO was more fun than the basic esper system. I do think the cast of FF6 was probably the best with 4 close behind.

Each character takes a class into consideration.

Locke = Thief
Sabin = Monk
Edgar = Engineer
Shadow = Ninja
Umaro = Berserker
etc... Those are the set classes. You cannot change them for the characters at base. You cannot change their commands, only learn magic. Celes for instance can't turn around and use the Morph command (oh how she'd love to, but it's not possible). The equipment has a lot to do with this actually. You know why Celes is one of the best characters in the game? Her class. Her equipment options are pretty much unparalleled, and in addition to that, she has some of the best base stats and growth combinations in the game. Linking doesn't even make sense in FF6 because it doesn't use the same system as Materia. I could agree with Materia may have been inspired from FF6 and FF5, but it's hardly an upgrade. They aren't alike at all.

Cast wise I don't care if they are strong or weak. There are a lot of them, I'll leave it at that.
---
Jimbo.
#46cyan1001Posted 1/31/2013 11:16:25 AM
vi has the best story
#47nukedduckPosted 1/31/2013 11:25:48 AM
GwynsSonSolaire posted...
No ff7 please, i hate that game.

Have already played 1-4, 7.

youre outta luck. 7 is the best imo, but if i were to lie to myself a little bit- Go with tactics, its the best story bar none. It blows away 6,8, and 9( and 7 to you i guess). It still has one of the most engaging plots. And if you also hate tactical rpgs go with 9, its 3rd place.
---
PSN ID: radiatedduck
the most wonderful thing about radiatedducks, is IM THE ONLY ONE!!!
#48jbl8199Posted 1/31/2013 11:27:55 AM
FF6. Kefka was just pure gold in that one.
#49LtMessiahDM504Posted 1/31/2013 11:38:12 AM
LtMessiahDM504 posted...
LtMessiahDM504 posted...
Materia was magicite completely overhauled. The same basic principles applied but it was 10x better. I liked 6 and 7 probably equally.

To bring up what another poster mentioned, FF Tactics is easily the best FF game from PS1 era. While its not the same basic JRPG gameplay, its still taken in turn form, allows TONS of depth, great character interaction, good story, and tons of stuff to do.

FF Tactics might be my favorite game with a Final Fantasy in the title.

No. It's not overhauled. For starters, no one in FF7 has a set class like they do in FF6. Everyone can use all of the equipment sans the weapons. The only thing that differentiate people in FF7 are limits, weapon and stats. that's it. In FE6, it's equipment as well. All of it. Not just the weapons.

For materia, you put materia on to learn skills and level up the materia to advance the said skills. With Magicite, you put on an Esper, learn the magic and then you're done with it outside of wanting stat boost. That's not the same at all. I can't equip Cloud with Fire Materia and then level it up and then Cloud permanently knows Fire 1. You can't learn skills forever in FF7, you do in FF6. That's a huge difference.

What are the set classes in FF6? Also, what does the equipment have to do with the magic/magic learning system besides of course the open weapon slots?

Not permanently learning the spell opens up choice in who uses what and when. It also brought about linking and IMO was more fun than the basic esper system. I do think the cast of FF6 was probably the best with 4 close behind.

Each character takes a class into consideration.

Locke = Thief
Sabin = Monk
Edgar = Engineer
Shadow = Ninja
Umaro = Berserker
etc... Those are the set classes. You cannot change them for the characters at base. You cannot change their commands, only learn magic. Celes for instance can't turn around and use the Morph command (oh how she'd love to, but it's not possible). The equipment has a lot to do with this actually. You know why Celes is one of the best characters in the game? Her class. Her equipment options are pretty much unparalleled, and in addition to that, she has some of the best base stats and growth combinations in the game. Linking doesn't even make sense in FF6 because it doesn't use the same system as Materia. I could agree with Materia may have been inspired from FF6 and FF5, but it's hardly an upgrade. They aren't alike at all.

Cast wise I don't care if they are strong or weak. There are a lot of them, I'll leave it at that.

The only thing that locks them into a class are the commands. Otherwise, they all learn the same spells that one another have. Materia prevents this to a degree. If someone is dead, the next turn up is a revive spell, be it shadow or edgar.

What is the point of bringing up Celes and her OP equipment into a discussion about the differences between materia and espers? To further differentiate characters who already all learn the same spells with no restrictions?
#50nihilist212Posted 1/31/2013 11:46:36 AM
TC you should have reworded your question to be "besides FF7, which one has the best story". As it is, I would go with 6.
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero