This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The most overrated game of all time.

#181CaliberChampPosted 1/31/2013 8:31:56 PM
Auron27 posted...
CaliberChamp posted...
DARK SOULS!!! The game is utter trash to me because of its gameplay and because I'm a hardcore gamer I was expecting more of it. The media and the fan boys over hyped the game and I was sorely disapointed which led me to question the rational thought of others. I lost my faith in critic reviews ever since that day.

Your recommended games list suggests to me that you are not a hardcore gamer. Also, I will go with WoW for most overrated.

I play multi player games as well that are hardcore I just didn't list them.
---
Recommended games: Guild Wars 2, The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Batman arkham city, Brutal Legend
Terrible games: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Diablo 3, X-Com, War Z
#182SandOnMyBootPosted 1/31/2013 8:36:10 PM
Which is more overrated?

FF7 - A quite flawed, mediocre game (even for its time) that continues to receive erroneous credit for things that it did not invent and is falsely hailed as "a revolution in RPGs" and "best game of all time" simply because it's most peoples' first RPG or they bought into the extreme hype of it and never bothered to analyze it.

FF13 - An abomination of RPGs (one of the worst ever made) that utterly fails in just about every aspect, from story to game design to battle system. Yet the fanbase is completely divided, some praising it as a "pretty darn good game" without acknowledging any of the extreme flaws throughout the game.

So, a marginally okay game hailed as the best of the best by many, or a horrible game considered to be pretty good by half the people? Which would be considered more overrated?
#183Reiji Kido99Posted 1/31/2013 8:41:34 PM
For me, it's F.E.A.R. Boring game that did nothing original, wasn't scary, and deserved about 20% of the praise it got.
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/reijikido99/tyra_shoulders.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/reijikido99/DannyDance2.gif
#184EurAsianGirlPosted 1/31/2013 8:42:10 PM
SandOnMyBoot posted...
Which is more overrated?

FF7 - A quite flawed, mediocre game (even for its time) that continues to receive erroneous credit for things that it did not invent and is falsely hailed as "a revolution in RPGs" and "best game of all time" simply because it's most peoples' first RPG or they bought into the extreme hype of it and never bothered to analyze it.

FF13 - An abomination of RPGs (one of the worst ever made) that utterly fails in just about every aspect, from story to game design to battle system. Yet the fanbase is completely divided, some praising it as a "pretty darn good game" without acknowledging any of the extreme flaws throughout the game.

So, a marginally okay game hailed as the best of the best by many, or a horrible game considered to be pretty good by half the people? Which would be considered more overrated?

Though I agree with you on FF13, you're completely wrong about FF7! It was flawed, but hardly mediocre. It had an emotionally moving story that was told well and characters you could really come to care about, not to mention the huge world, sidequests and mini-games that were available to you.

Let me guess... You're a FF6 fanboy I take it?
---
JRPG lover and not ashamed of it
Avid fan of the Grandia and Lunar series.
#185tinfoil21Posted 1/31/2013 8:48:25 PM
MechaNapoleon posted...
Norken posted...
MechaNapoleon posted...
Tic-Tac-Toe

Hilarious.

Not a joke. You didn't ask for a video game specifically, and this stupid little game has been around basically forever. A game where if played correctly, noone wins or loses infinitely, yet it continues to thrive thousands of years later because parents are evil to their children. I can think of nothing more fitting of a most overrated game title.

Everything else said is opinionated crap not worth anyone's time to discuss. "<Your favorite game> is the most overrated game ever." is what it boils down to. The trollingest of troll topics. Yet it keeps popping back up anyways. Maybe making these topics is the most overrated game of all time...

You won this topic.

/thread
---
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? You're a mile away and have his shoes.
#186oxnerdPosted 1/31/2013 8:49:06 PM
EurAsianGirl posted...
SandOnMyBoot posted...
Which is more overrated?

Though I agree with you on FF13, you're completely wrong about FF7! It was flawed, but hardly mediocre. It had an emotionally moving story that was told well and characters you could really come to care about, not to mention the huge world, sidequests and mini-games that were available to you.

I don't agree with 13, that was a good game, but the characters in 7 were a bore. It took, what, like, 3 games + a movie to get an ounce of development out of the characters? 6 had 14 characters and each had 5 x more development than any of the characters in 7. Don't even get me started on 9, Vivi carried the whole game and had more development than 7 and 8's characters combined. None of these are bad games, I'm just talking character wise.
#187Psychofang12001Posted 1/31/2013 8:56:32 PM
New super Mario brothers its not new anymore lol
---
Protocol 10 will commence whenever I feel like it
#188HomstarRunnerPosted 1/31/2013 8:59:17 PM
Angry Birds - Mediocre smartphone game that somehow became STUPIDLY popular. I've seen Angry Birds T-shirts, backpacks, plush toys... It's ridiculous.

NSMB series and 3D Land - The first NSMB felt like a rehash of SMB3 and SMW (but with less level variety, less power ups, and unique designs than either of those games), and every subsequent game in the series has been a rehash of the first.

Demon's Souls - Take out the tension-building "difficulty" (which is basically just slashing at an enemy for a bit and running away until your health slowly recovers), and you're left with a very short standard-fare action-RPG with a few interesting environments and an interesting online component. The game doesn't even bother to explain some of the most basic gameplay elements (such as how to achieve pure white soul tendency, or what all the symbols and numbers mean in the pause menu, or what "blessing" a weapon does - I unknowingly wasted the Flamelurker's soul by using it on my Dragon Sword), and the A.I. is terrible. I couldn't even find the stone required to access the PVP feature before I beat the final boss (which is hands down the worst final boss I've ever played), and as soon as I beat the game it automatically threw me into NG+ before I could go back and collect all the items I missed.
---
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars - The greatest PSN game you've never played
The new PSN store is a train wreck.
#189Norken(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 9:09:18 PM
oxnerd posted...
EurAsianGirl posted...
SandOnMyBoot posted...
Which is more overrated?

I don't agree with 13, that was a good game, but the characters in 7 were a bore. It took, what, like, 3 games + a movie to get an ounce of development out of the characters? 6 had 14 characters and each had 5 x more development than any of the characters in 7. Don't even get me started on 9, Vivi carried the whole game and had more development than 7 and 8's characters combined. None of these are bad games, I'm just talking character wise.

6 had more development. Look I don't like 7 but to diss 9 and 8 when 6 had characters like gau, gogo, Mog, and Umaro is silly.

Freya was forgotten by the man she loved and had to deal with that and the fall of her kingdom.
Steiner had to deal with the fact that corruption does indeed exist in the kingdom he loves so much.
Zidane had to deal with who he really is.
Eiko was battling lonliness which is hard for a child to deal with.
Quina and Amarant were the only ones who didn't have much development however Quina is funny and Amarant actually changes from evil to good.
Garnet had to deal with an evil mother, growing up, finding out who she really is, and having to run a kingdom.

You need to play the game again. FF8 is character study. Have you ever watched a movie that was a character study? Ff8 accomplished what those movies try very hard to portray.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
Romans 14:8
#190EvilBeardsPosted 1/31/2013 9:10:29 PM
1. WoW
2. CoD
3. Skyrim