This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The most overrated game of all time.

#191x_stevey_xPosted 1/31/2013 9:19:18 PM(edited)
chrono trigger, dragon's dogma, bastion are all games i see get ton of praise that don't deserve it at all.

honorable mention - final fantasy 6. basically a worse , incomplete version of 7, but somehow gets more praise as being better than 7 these days.
#192JakabBigShowPosted 1/31/2013 9:20:14 PM
Skyrim....
#1932258lazAPosted 1/31/2013 9:28:01 PM
Call of Duty: God, I'm sick about hearing this game. About every gamer I know IRL plays this, and I even know this little bratty kid who won't stop talking about it. And when we my friends and I get together, all I hear is them talking about how they got a headshot, or how they tried out a new gun. And then they ask me what that weird "Persona" game I was playing the night before was. I tell them, and they just say" Gay".

Angry Birds: This game is just a steaming pile of crap. I'm sick of seeing this every where. It isn't that great of a game. It is fun for about 5 hours. Then OCD kicks in, and you find it nearly impossible to 3-star without a guide.

Final Fantasy IV: Although this one was great, it doesn't deserve the amount o praise it gets. It was too damn easy, and it was ridiculous how most of the characters avoided their deaths.

Final Fantasy VII: This game was boring, and I felt everything about it was weak. And THIS was supposed to be the game that revolutionized RPGs?

Skyrim: I had fun with this game for 3 days. I liked it. I found it incredibly stupid the way the levels scaled, and how if you built your character wrong, then you were pretty much screwed. Also, main quest was waaaaay too easy.

Original Metroid: This one is OK. Not great, but OK. It lacked a lot of basic stuff that was really needed for it to be really enjoyable. I don't think it deserves the praise it gets. Though everything after it, including the remake, was fan-freaking-tastic.

Super Mario 3D land: Too short. And didn't really follow anything innovative.
#194MandorinPosted 1/31/2013 9:28:08 PM
The entire Fable series. Not only was there massive overhyping before their release, none of them has yet reached the level of Morrowind. They're fun, if slightly amateurish and repetitive, and come without any kind of flexibility compared to a well designed game, be it in combat or exploration.
#195_Minwu_Posted 1/31/2013 9:29:06 PM
final fantasy 6. basically a worse , incomplete version of 7, but somehow gets more praise as being better than 7 these days.

This.
---
All those who live must some day die. It is our fate
#196DiGiovanniPosted 1/31/2013 9:46:05 PM
Skyrim without a doubt.
---
SteamID: iidxdii
BattleTag: DiGiovanni#1962 Add me if you want.
#197SandOnMyBootPosted 1/31/2013 9:50:42 PM
EurAsianGirl posted...
SandOnMyBoot posted...
Which is more overrated?

FF7 - A quite flawed, mediocre game (even for its time) that continues to receive erroneous credit for things that it did not invent and is falsely hailed as "a revolution in RPGs" and "best game of all time" simply because it's most peoples' first RPG or they bought into the extreme hype of it and never bothered to analyze it.

FF13 - An abomination of RPGs (one of the worst ever made) that utterly fails in just about every aspect, from story to game design to battle system. Yet the fanbase is completely divided, some praising it as a "pretty darn good game" without acknowledging any of the extreme flaws throughout the game.

So, a marginally okay game hailed as the best of the best by many, or a horrible game considered to be pretty good by half the people? Which would be considered more overrated?

Though I agree with you on FF13, you're completely wrong about FF7! It was flawed, but hardly mediocre. It had an emotionally moving story that was told well and characters you could really come to care about, not to mention the huge world, sidequests and mini-games that were available to you.

Let me guess... You're a FF6 fanboy I take it?

I'm a FF9 fanboy actually.

And FF7's story and characters did have large problems. Every step of the way there were contradictory plot points and character motivations that made no sense (don't even get me started on Sephiroth's motives and actions). Hell, in the first 10 minutes Cloud and Barret blow up more innocent civilians in Sector 1 in cold blood than Sephiroth kills throughout the whole game. Even when directly questioned about it by Cait Sith, Cloud and Barret don't act the least bit regretful (but when the Turks dropped the plate, an equally heinous act, that was considered unforgivable). If anything, that is what Cloud should've been asking for forgiveness for in Advent Children, not Aerith's death.
#198Troop_357Posted 1/31/2013 9:56:22 PM
Gamefaqs: Where ''overrated'' means acclaimed games I don't personally like.
---
Don't worry, you're unique. Like everyone else.
#1992258lazAPosted 1/31/2013 9:58:44 PM
x_stevey_x posted...

honorable mention - final fantasy 6. basically a worse , incomplete version of 7, but somehow gets more praise as being better than 7 these days.

I fail to see your logic here. This actually made my brain hurt, from being how stupid this post was. All 7 really did was take old mechanics, and try and pass them off with "Amazing graphics" Which looked horrible, even for back then.
#200Reiji Kido99Posted 1/31/2013 9:59:22 PM
Troop_357 posted...
Gamefaqs: Where ''overrated'' means acclaimed games I don't personally like.

That's what it means everywhere.
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/reijikido99/tyra_shoulders.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/reijikido99/DannyDance2.gif