This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Your take on fighting games- does it change as you get older?

#1indie_animatorPosted 1/31/2013 11:06:24 AM
I've always loved FGs these past decades, developed a thick skin :), and competed in arcades, and even some tournaments. Had fun & did OK usually.

Just wondering if anyone else isn't into competing as much anymore as get older. I'm 39, and don't get around to arcades. Don't even have a PS3, but need to visit my brother, and never tried playing someone online (his connection speed might not be very good *.*).

I miss the competition a bit, but am happy with single player content on BB, KOF13, P4A, etc. I don't miss the random stress from some people, especially since I'm rockin' some chronic pain. XD

Just throwing out a topic for fun- maybe I'll even get back into it again someday.
---
But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. (James 1:4)
#2BeknessPosted 1/31/2013 11:22:16 AM
I've never really competed against anyone at them. I used to play by myself vs the AI and that's what I still do unless I see someone.

Killak and I had a few games, I won like 3 and he won like 30. It was heaps of fun.
---
With each passing minute the one that I love is slipping away from me. Before I know it I'm losing you.
#3Godly_GoofPosted 1/31/2013 11:32:09 AM
I find I care for them less or rather new ones if that makes sense. I'm just a vet Sakura and Dan player in SF otherwise I don't tend to play true fighter games.

Although having played in a couple of convention tourneys gotta say, nothing better than a win with Dan. Just feels like such trolling haha
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#4EoinPosted 1/31/2013 11:32:21 AM
I definitely play fighting games a lot less and a lot less competitively than before, although I'm not so sure that's age. I think it's more just the fact that I've got less free time and more things to do within that free time. This definitely isn't helped by the lack of local competition, and the complete lack of arcades.
#5Dirk_McHardpeckPosted 1/31/2013 11:49:36 AM
Their evolution is so limited that it's hard to continue to be attracted to them. I mean there is only so many different ways you can have two guys on screen slugging it out. I think the last time I saw a unique perspective on the genre was Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 because it stepped away from the stagnant fixed arena of most FGs.
#6DeathScythe_527Posted 1/31/2013 12:01:04 PM
I love fighting games, currently playing TTT2 and P4A. I actually think I've gotten more into them now that before.
Win or lose, it's a huge rush when you play a close game against someone.
---
i5-3450 | HD 6870 | 4GB DDR3 | H61MGC | 1TB HDD | PSN: DANomite93
I highly recommend Katawa Shoujo, hits you right in the feels.
#7indie_animator(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 12:38:17 PM
Good posts. Yeah, I've always enjoyed oddball and/or low tier characters especially.

I love 2D games the most, but am also currently playing TTT2 as well.

It might not be age, but circumstances. If a regular income kicked in (it has been a while), my perspective also might change. That & overcoming 2 1/2 years of pain in the roof of my mouth (formerly head).

Looking forward to P4A & TTT2 this weekend!
---
But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. (James 1:4)
#8nihilist212Posted 1/31/2013 12:40:37 PM
I find that while they're still fun, a lot of games have things in them that just make them annoying to play others. Juggling combos that you can't get out of, the X-Factor mode in UMvC3. Things like that for me take some of the fun out of playing fighting games.
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#9SieKensouPosted 1/31/2013 12:42:48 PM
nihilist212 posted...
I find that while they're still fun, a lot of games have things in them that just make them annoying to play others. Juggling combos that you can't get out of, the X-Factor mode in UMvC3. Things like that for me take some of the fun out of playing fighting games.

don't play capcom then?
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#10vashtrichamPosted 1/31/2013 12:45:46 PM
I have started playing them a lot more as I get older. Nothing gets my heart racing like fighting online. It is a great competitive outlet
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10