This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS4 announcement incoming FEB 20th

#71king_maddenPosted 1/31/2013 6:48:14 PM
Eoin posted...
antoinejones posted...
well if Wii U didnt hit til 1 1/2 years after it was announced why do ppl think the Ps4 will hit 6-7 months after its announced?

A whole big pile of reasons.

1. Console announcements and launches aren't normally so far apart. The Wii U is a huge exception. Trying to determine anything from that is pointless. Look at the Vita - announced in January 2011, released in November 2011. Or the PS3 - announced at E3 2005 for an intended launch date of Spring 2006. Or the Xbox 360 - announced in May 2005, released in November 2005. It's completely realistic and consistent to expect a PS4 announcement in February and a release sometime in 2013.

2. That big huge gap in the second half of the year that publishers have been so obviously avoiding. PS3 (and Xbox 360) releases go to September (for GTAV) and then just stop. There's only one good explanation for that, and that's new consoles on the way.

3. PS4 rumours have been going around for a while, but have reached the point where the system is all but announced anyway. That's what happens to a system that's nearing release.

4. Simple competitive logic. Sony won't want to give Microsoft a one-Christmas headstart and won't want to give Nintendo a two-Christmas headstart. It makes sense to launch this year.

1. I dont know though, all of those we pretty much already had an idea of what it was and what it could do when they were announced.

2. last time around the ps2 didnt just stop making games when ps3 came out, a lot of good games were still coming out after launch.

3. all we know is its coming, no one has a solid idea of anything its going to be, or what its going to have.

4. Its also a good idea from competition stand point, to the let the opposition go first, see their failings, and what people like, and make small adjustments so you dont make the same identical mistakes. last time ps3 waited a year, and the main reason it started off so bad was because of the price, and the lack of games. they could release a year later, as long as they have a reasonable price, and good lineup of games, no one would care.
#72ThamauturgePosted 1/31/2013 6:48:24 PM
Man this year is going to be a killer year for gaming
---
Vayne Solidor of the DD012FF Board
Currently playing: Persona 4: Golden, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
#73EoinPosted 1/31/2013 6:56:22 PM
king_madden posted...
1. I dont know though, all of those we pretty much already had an idea of what it was and what it could do when they were announced.

I'm not sure what you mean.

Circumstantially, though, this is identical to the Vita reveal. We know it's coming. We have details on the specs that are technically rumours but that we're almost 100% confident in.

king_madden posted...
2. last time around the ps2 didnt just stop making games when ps3 came out, a lot of good games were still coming out after launch.

There'll still be PS3 games. We know that. There's plenty of games confirmed for the PS3. However, that giant gap in the release schedule and the considerable over-crowding of the next 3 or 4 months is a very clear, unambiguous sign that this generation is beginning to end.

king_madden posted...
3. all we know is its coming, no one has a solid idea of anything its going to be, or what its going to have.

That's not really true. Nobody can tell you with 100% certainty what it's going to be, but plenty of people can give you a very accurate idea of what kind of machine it is.

king_madden posted...
4. Its also a good idea from competition stand point, to the let the opposition go first

It's a terrible idea to give Microsoft a one-Christmas headstart and Nintendo a two-Christmas headstart, and if Sony (and Microsoft) haven't learned from the many mistakes each of them made this generation, they're certainly not going to learn enough in the next year to prevent more mistakes.
#74king_maddenPosted 1/31/2013 7:01:39 PM
I dont think it would be a mistake to ggive them a head start, I dont feel they will really be competing with nintendo just like this gen, and other than time, theres no BIG downside to releasing later. each company has their exclusives, with so many people thinking the jump isnt going to be massive, and with gaming sales already down, you have to figure not as many people will be just rushing out to buy it because of what it is.

when the consoles are announced, people are going to know what to expect from each console, game wise for the most part people know the big names, if most people havent bought a 360, its not likely they are going to all of a sudden get a 720 just because, they are more likely to wait and see what sony has planned.
#75bigdeezPosted 1/31/2013 7:03:23 PM
Damn it!!!! I was really hoping they waited just 1 more year. I just bought a ton of games for the PS3 and this happens on the 20th FML
---
I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings. - Max Payne
#76majin nemesisPosted 1/31/2013 7:04:57 PM
they are probably annoucing the reboot of PS all stars so that maybe this time it isn't a failure or something
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage
#77SakurafanboyPosted 1/31/2013 7:07:37 PM
bigdeez posted...
Damn it!!!! I was really hoping they waited just 1 more year. I just bought a ton of games for the PS3 and this happens on the 20th FML

I could see early PlayStation 4s having backwards compatibility for PlayStation 3 games. So that money wouldn't be wasted. Just like early PS3s can play PS2 games.
---
Team Gracidea - We live to love!
Proud fan of all that is Shaymin!
#78bigdeezPosted 1/31/2013 7:07:56 PM
How can this be anything other then the PS4? It is impossible that this will be about something other then the PS4 reveal with a 2013 release date. Unfortunately....... i guarantee it
---
I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings. - Max Payne
#79TheArcadePosted 1/31/2013 7:12:15 PM
Sakurafanboy posted...
bigdeez posted...

I could see early PlayStation 4s having backwards compatibility for PlayStation 3 games. So that money wouldn't be wasted. Just like early PS3s can play PS2 games.

But would PS4 be able to support PS2 & PS3 games?
---
Greatest Shows of All Time.
Avatar: The Last Airbender, SWAT Kats, Sailor Moon, Tetsuwan Atom 2K3, Transformers, Spiderfriends
#80majin nemesisPosted 1/31/2013 7:13:31 PM
TheArcade posted...
Sakurafanboy posted...
bigdeez posted...

But would PS4 be able to support PS2 & PS3 games?

don't forget PS1 games
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage