This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, would I like Ni No Kuni?

#11JuanZoloPosted 1/31/2013 6:23:39 PM
FoxtrotDelta88 posted...
JuanZolo posted...
FoxtrotDelta88 posted...
I say try the demo too, or rent it if you can, i thought i would like it since i haven't played a good JRPG in a while, so i thought NNK would be a nice change of pace from current games, couldn't have been more bored, so while some people say that you might like it, you'll never know unless you play the demo or rent the game

I hated the demo. Thought it was SUPER boring. Then I saw all the praise it was getting and thought, "I must be missing something?". Gave the game a chance and I am SOOOO glad I did. Reminds me why I used to love JRPG's back in the day.

I hated the combat, i never liked turn based combat games either except for Chrono Trigger and some Final Fantasy games. I like the combat systems in Kingdom Hearts, Dot Hack and Star Ocean till the end of time instead

I didn't like the combat either. That's the only thing it shows in the demo is combat.
The combat is very strategical in the full game.
Example.
I'll start by casting ward on all allies to boost their defense.
I'll then switch to a pokemon that can boost attack for allies.
Switch to a different pokemon to use a lightning attack on a character that is weak against lighting.
Switch back to Oliver and heal allies with weak health.
Use Oliver to Throw some fireballs.
Switch to a physical damage dealing pokemon and psyche up so he can cancel enemy's special attacks.
I then tell my team to go for an All out attack to finish the job.

That's just an average fight. There are some very challenging bosses that require a TON of strategy and quick thinking.
---
If the doors of perception were to be cleansed, everything would appear as it truly is-Infinite.
#12FoxtrotDelta88Posted 1/31/2013 6:30:56 PM
JuanZolo posted...
FoxtrotDelta88 posted...
JuanZolo posted...
FoxtrotDelta88 posted...
I say try the demo too, or rent it if you can, i thought i would like it since i haven't played a good JRPG in a while, so i thought NNK would be a nice change of pace from current games, couldn't have been more bored, so while some people say that you might like it, you'll never know unless you play the demo or rent the game

I hated the demo. Thought it was SUPER boring. Then I saw all the praise it was getting and thought, "I must be missing something?". Gave the game a chance and I am SOOOO glad I did. Reminds me why I used to love JRPG's back in the day.

I hated the combat, i never liked turn based combat games either except for Chrono Trigger and some Final Fantasy games. I like the combat systems in Kingdom Hearts, Dot Hack and Star Ocean till the end of time instead

I didn't like the combat either. That's the only thing it shows in the demo is combat.
The combat is very strategical in the full game.
Example.
I'll start by casting ward on all allies to boost their defense.
I'll then switch to a pokemon that can boost attack for allies.
Switch to a different pokemon to use a lightning attack on a character that is weak against lighting.
Switch back to Oliver and heal allies with weak health.
Use Oliver to Throw some fireballs.
Switch to a physical damage dealing pokemon and psyche up so he can cancel enemy's special attacks.
I then tell my team to go for an All out attack to finish the job.

That's just an average fight. There are some very challenging bosses that require a TON of strategy and quick thinking.

I might have to just rent it eventually, i'd rather spend my money on a game like Rising, where i really enjoyed the demo, as opposed to a game like NNK, where i didn't like the demo but i like might it for it's story. I should pick up Neir again though, I've been looking to play a good RPG that's not Skyrim
---
I believe in Jim Gordon...I believe in Harvey Dent...I believe in Gotham City
#13SayoriaPosted 1/31/2013 6:37:16 PM
I seriously think you would like it if you tried it TC. The game is pretty newbie friendly too. Not only does it tell you where to go on the minimap, if you stand still, it will tell you up at the top of the screen where to go next.

Yes, it is also real time.
---
Sailor Moon returns 2013! O_o
#14stalepie29Posted 1/31/2013 6:39:40 PM
I think you'll like it
#15Seifer_usPosted 1/31/2013 7:57:53 PM
Based on what you listed, I think you'd enjoy it. Just don't go in expecting it to be your new favorite or anything like that.
---
PSN ID: Shawnji
Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji
#16Benzychenz(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 9:54:11 PM
Hmm, sounds like it's at least worth a shot.
Now, if I wait will it get a price drop, or become rare and expensive? >_>
---
http://i47.tinypic.com/2me5xv.jpg
#17tmons78Posted 1/31/2013 10:04:03 PM
Benzychenz posted...
Hmm, sounds like it's at least worth a shot.
Now, if I wait will it get a price drop, or become rare and expensive? >_>

Considering it's a Namco release, the chances of it becoming rare are pretty high. It is on PSN for 54.99, so that saves you a little money, but if you're still not certain maybe you should try a rental.

Personally, I'm loving the game. It feels (at least to me) like a throwback to the classic RPGs.
#18pixel378Posted 1/31/2013 10:04:45 PM
Ni no kuni is a beautiful mix of pokemon (Catching monsters you encounter is the name of the game) and like a new style action FF that is action turn based.
---
MGO- Mr. Detroit