This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I just want to clear some things up about Insomniac/Ratchet and Clank.

#1IcyFlamez96Posted 1/31/2013 5:59:09 PM(edited)
I've seen so many people say the R&C series is dead and is pretty much disregarding it after the release of these past 2 games (All 4 One, Full Frontal Assault). I've also heard people say that A4O wasn't as good as the others because it was made by Insomniac's North Carolina studio. Actually, lets start with that.

Insomniac's NC studio is made up of largely the same people who already worked in the Burbank studio. So that's not really the reason A4O wasn't up to par. People don't seem to understand that A4O was not supposed to be a standard R&C game. I can't tell you how many people bought it, expecting another Crack in Time. Insomniac said that they just wanted to try out some new things for a bit. They made about 5 or 6 standard R&C games, now they are taking a little break from that, and people give them way to hard of a time for it.

Now with the latest title. Full Frontal Assault was a game made for the fans. In now way was it a "full" game. It was a mini adventure to help celebrate the series 10th anniversary. It got slammed in the reviews because people, again, expected another A Crack in Time. I'm not trying to say thats the only reason it got whatever ratings, but that is definitely part of the reason and I can tell but what they say in the reviews.

IMO, the Story mode in that game is decent and gets repetitive at times but the multiplayer is awesome. If you actually take time in figuring out how to play it, then its a blast. I didn't even like it the first couple of matches I played, but once I got the hang of things, it was great. I mean its only a $20 game. It was definitely worth it.

Its saddening to see so many people disregard the franchise just because of these last two games. People really think they will never make an aCiT like game ever again...

I wouldn't say Insomniac's R&C skill is declining until they make a R&C game that is supposed to be a main title, and screws it up really badly lol.

---
[Not changing sig until a new Ratchet and Clank game that I can be hyped for is announced.]
PSASBR Main: Ratchet, PSN: xQziCyFlaMeZxQz, msg to _krat0s_: K
#2IcyFlamez96(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 6:15:18 PM
Le bump.
---
[Not changing sig until a new Ratchet and Clank game that I can be hyped for is announced.]
#3JoveHackPosted 1/31/2013 6:31:00 PM
Those are some pretty good points. All-4-One I did pretty much understand was to be a multi-player co-op Ratchet and Clank game. No problem with that. It just didn't have anything to do with me. That's still true.

Full Frontal Assault I'm afraid is still a disappointment to me, even as a small-ball game for cheap. Third person tower defense just doesn't seem like a good idea. It's tough enough to run a good tower defense scenario with a gods-eye view and ability to act whereever is necessary right now.

Another problem, which is probably just me, is that the flashy, noisy attacks always end up feeling wimpy with respect to their representation. Makes the game seem flashy, but weak. Which is the opposite of what you want, imho.

I still remember the blaster in Ratchet and Clank 1. Wimpy representation, which made it feel more powerful when a shot hit by comparison.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
http://primal.wikia.com
#4DarknessXSeekerPosted 1/31/2013 6:37:13 PM
I've gave up all hope on R&C after Insomniac said they can't see themselves ever making a SP only game again.
---
"You're gonna get shown the door, old man."
#5IcyFlamez96(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 6:41:12 PM
DarknessXSeeker posted...
I've gave up all hope on R&C after Insomniac said they can't see themselves ever making a SP only game again.

Hmmm where did they say that? I dont see that as a bad thing at all anyway. UYA had a great multiplayer and that is widely considered the best R&C game.
---
#6Dark World RulerPosted 1/31/2013 6:48:08 PM
Ratchet: A Crack in Time was the only Ratchet I found to be good, the other ones just feel pretty "Eh". I think the series is rather take it or leave it, and was overrated in the PS2 days.

The Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time demo I enjoyed more than any Ratchet game, thats the platforming series Sony should continue with and expand upon
---
I am the son and the heir,
Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
#7IcyFlamez96(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 7:05:15 PM(edited)
JoveHack posted...
Those are some pretty good points. All-4-One I did pretty much understand was to be a multi-player co-op Ratchet and Clank game. No problem with that. It just didn't have anything to do with me. That's still true.

Full Frontal Assault I'm afraid is still a disappointment to me, even as a small-ball game for cheap. Third person tower defense just doesn't seem like a good idea. It's tough enough to run a good tower defense scenario with a gods-eye view and ability to act whereever is necessary right now.

Another problem, which is probably just me, is that the flashy, noisy attacks always end up feeling wimpy with respect to their representation. Makes the game seem flashy, but weak. Which is the opposite of what you want, imho.

I still remember the blaster in Ratchet and Clank 1. Wimpy representation, which made it feel more powerful when a shot hit by comparison.

I think they can still pull off a great multiplayer R&C as long as they add it in a more standard R&C game. And just from paying Siege mode in UYA, the Tower Defense really didn't seem like a forced idea IMO. I still liked Siege better though :p.

I agree with the rest of your post.
---
#8DarknessXSeekerPosted 1/31/2013 10:34:16 PM
IcyFlamez96 posted...

Hmmm where did they say that? I dont see that as a bad thing at all anyway. UYA had a great multiplayer and that is widely considered the best R&C game.

Yeah if it as just that I would be fine with it, but they said they love making co-op games.
---
"You're gonna get shown the door, old man."
#9MonopomanPosted 1/31/2013 10:38:26 PM
Dark World Ruler posted...
Ratchet: A Crack in Time was the only Ratchet I found to be good, the other ones just feel pretty "Eh". I think the series is rather take it or leave it, and was overrated in the PS2 days.

The Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time demo I enjoyed more than any Ratchet game, thats the platforming series Sony should continue with and expand upon

These companies are not under the direct control of Sony. They are Sony franchises but not controlled by Sony.
#10IcyFlamez96(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 2:30:45 PM
IcyFlamez96 posted...

Yeah if it as just that I would be fine with it, but they said they love making co-op games.

Well I'd happily take a co-op mode as long as the game is actually a standard R&C game and not the linear, on the rails, party type game A4O was...
---