This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Panning security cameras and video games

#21stalepie29Posted 2/1/2013 1:02:23 PM
Cameras are so cheap these days they could put them all over the place. But in real life You see on the local news footage from only one camera in the top corner looking down at the robber wearing a hat and it's like 10 fps.
#22theshovellerPosted 2/1/2013 1:20:19 PM
zyrax2301 posted...
As for how they tell friend from foe, I ain't gonna question what kind of wizardry they have going on when a man can turn another man into paste with his cool turbo-arms.

In Deus Ex, given how advanced the technology is in that game, probably some sort of IFF that the people in the secured location have on them. The camera detects this IFF, reads the person walking as a friend, and does not act on them. Jensen, who does not possess this IFF, would be seen as an intruder.

There's most likely some sort of "size restriction" on how big an intruder has to be to be detected, which is why the "cameras" don't see you when you're too far from them, but can see you when you're ducked or crouched in close proximity to them.

As for the ammo thing, depending on how the gun is mounted and the ammo is fed into it, the ammo could be located above the gun and camera and fed down into it from a large reservoir. I doubt the threat would be so prolonged that all that ammo would be "used" before the threat was dealt with, as there are a number of guards in the facility that would respond to such an alarm and provide another back-up plan.
#23wigsplasher(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 1:24:22 PM
zyrax2301 posted...
As for how they tell friend from foe, I ain't gonna question what kind of wizardry they have going on when a man can turn another man into paste with his cool turbo-arms.

In Deus Ex, given how advanced the technology is in that game, probably some sort of IFF that the people in the secured location have on them. The camera detects this IFF, reads the person walking as a friend, and does not act on them. Jensen, who does not possess this IFF, would be seen as an intruder.

There's most likely some sort of "size restriction" on how big an intruder has to be to be detected, which is why the "cameras" don't see you when you're too far from them, but can see you when you're ducked or crouched in close proximity to them.

As for the ammo thing, depending on how the gun is mounted and the ammo is fed into it, the ammo could be located above the gun and camera and fed down into it from a large reservoir. I doubt the threat would be so prolonged that all that ammo would be "used" before the threat was dealt with, as there are a number of guards in the facility that would respond to such an alarm and provide another back-up plan.

I just find it ludicrous that anyone believes that if you accidentally happened to walk in front of a camera (private property or not) you can possibly be shot DEAD. A little extreme isn't it?
---
3D gaming is overrated
#24theshovellerPosted 2/1/2013 1:32:48 PM
wigsplasher posted...
I just find it ludicrous that anyone believes that if you accidentally happened to walk in front of a camera (private property or not) you can possibly be shot DEAD. A little extreme isn't it?

It's trespassing, and could be justified. It's also a video game. Still, you're trying to apply real-world logic to this situation, so let's put it like this:

What's the difference if a security guard shot you, or a camera? You're not supposed to be there. If they have cameras with mounted guns on them, then you're way past where "normal" security guards are, and should have noticed something was off earlier.
#25wigsplasher(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 1:45:24 PM
wigsplasher posted...

It's trespassing, and could be justified. It's also a video game. Still, you're trying to apply real-world logic to this situation, so let's put it like this:

What's the difference if a security guard shot you, or a camera? You're not supposed to be there. If they have cameras with mounted guns on them, then you're way past where "normal" security guards are, and should have noticed something was off earlier.

I still think it's insane for a security guard to shoot someone just because they're trespassing. Why not call the cops or arrest them? Why murder someone?
---
3D gaming is overrated