This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whats the reason to look forward for nextgen consoles?

#1Cobra1010Posted 1/31/2013 9:46:11 PM
Pretty much all previous consoles released had quite a bit of a jump in performance and graphics.

From Master system to megadrive, from ps1 to ps2. SNES to N64.

But can the performance and graphics get any better than it does already? Hey if they can promise CGI quality games then i'd be excited. But im guessing it will just be like current PC games on ultra settings.

What do you think?
---
Playing: Nothing, maybe a bit of LoL. Am I getting old or are games this gen just mediocre?
--Yoichi Wada needs to be fired--
#2tack129Posted 1/31/2013 9:49:16 PM
I don't think the jump from PS3 to PS4 will be as big of a jump from PS2 to PS3.
I hope developers focus on giving us good gameplay instead of graphics.
---
PSN: tack129
#3Cobra1010(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 9:56:47 PM
If they focus on gameplay theres no need for new consoles. We can still have 2d sprite games on the ps3 that are fun to play.

Graphics is a must no matter how important gameplay is.
---
Playing: Nothing, maybe a bit of LoL. Am I getting old or are games this gen just mediocre?
--Yoichi Wada needs to be fired--
#4AwayFromHerePosted 1/31/2013 9:58:30 PM
Better consoles mean better physics engines and better sound engines, something that can't be done on current consoles.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#5zender1999Posted 1/31/2013 9:59:43 PM
virual reality, holographic games, better motion controls, new ways to play games, cross game chat
#6BluntGruntPosted 1/31/2013 10:00:07 PM
Well, they're probably gonna be really expensive,so that.
Oh, and you'll probably need a new TV. That also.
And there might be no used games support. Also that.
And... Oh. No backwards compatibility.
And, of course, going digital only.

I might have forgotten a few things, but there's a lot of reasons to "get hyped" and whatnot.

Well, those might not be the real reasons, especially considering most of those are just rumors, but I suppose they beat the obvious reason. New, better games.

But, of course, that doesn't mean a thing, if the console ends up being just a waste of money.
---
For great justice!
#7EternalDividePosted 1/31/2013 10:01:16 PM
I think the sad truth is that the ONLY thing developers are concerned with is the graphics.

Not increasing the size of the game world or the content.

I hope for only 2 things with the PS4.
1. A reasonable price. I'm still totally fine with the look of games today so bleeding edge this thing does not need to be IMHO
2. That it's easy to develop for. The Cell was far too difficult to develop for from everything I've ever read. And that has a lot to do with the fewer games that were made and for multi platform titles usually running smoother on 360.
---
I support Alex Smith #11
#8pixel378Posted 1/31/2013 10:02:40 PM
Cobra1010 posted...
If they focus on gameplay theres no need for new consoles. We can still have 2d sprite games on the ps3 that are fun to play.

Graphics is a must no matter how important gameplay is.

Graphics in the sense you mean can matter, in terms of realistic games video games still have a long way to go. But what matters is art style.

And I think the biggest jump will come in game complexity not graphics. Graphics will get a significant boost but I think the devs will be capable of putting lots more stuff on screen, enemies, explosions, effects etcs.
---
MGO- Mr. Detroit
#9stalepie29Posted 1/31/2013 10:12:26 PM
it won't be as big of an upgrade, but i think it'll feel much improved, because you'll see triple-A titles that are in 1080p, maybe 30fps or higher... you'll surely see more cross-platform titles if the rumors are true about the specs being so similar across PCs/consoles this time.

I'm not sure if graphics technology has been advancing as fast as it used to. I grew up in the 90s which went from like the Neo Geo (1990) to Dreamcast (1999), with a lot of graphical experiments in between, but the past decade seems to have moved twice as slow.

Perhaps the screwed up world economy is partially to blame or there are just limits to the traditional approaches of silicon chips and polygons that we're running up against.

If you think about sound, it kind of "maxed out" a while back, right? Even with good quality stereo... and game controllers have been largely similar for a long time now. So there's a point where you're not that far away from perfect realism and you realize what you can do in fantasy doesn't require much more than ps2 or ps1 level of graphics.
#10Ferarri619Posted 1/31/2013 10:13:43 PM
I think the important thing is more RAM, which will result in better RTS, strategy, tycoon, etc. games. PCs have always been the only way to go for those types of games because of consoles' s****y RAM. The PS4 is supposed to have 8GB of RAM right? Much better than the horrible 520MB consoles have now.

Come to think of it, why have consoles ALWAYS been stuck in the stone age with RAM. Even for 2005/2006 I think 520MB was unacceptable since the average PC had what, 2GB even then?
---
~Nintendo 64. Get N or Get out. Coming Fall 1996~