This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whats the reason to look forward for nextgen consoles?

#11stalepie29Posted 1/31/2013 10:17:47 PM(edited)
Ferarri619 posted...
I think the important thing is more RAM, which will result in better RTS, strategy, tycoon, etc. games. PCs have always been the only way to go for those types of games because of consoles' s****y RAM. The PS4 is supposed to have 8GB of RAM right?

Latest rumor (or "leak") had it at 4 gigs of GDDR5.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-orbis-unmasked-what-to-expect-from-next-gen-console

xbox:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-next-gen-xbox-specs-leak

but it could still be up in the air, subject to change. For instance. AMD has been doing bad lately.
#12MaliciousMongoPosted 1/31/2013 11:19:51 PM
I agree about the RAM thing but though I'm no programmer, I do believe a game on a console with half as much RAM as a comparable PC can still perform on-par with the PC.

Why? Because consoles, even with the advancements made over this current gen, still can't do the millions of things that a PC can do (word-processing, writing html, gaming, etc) that all bog down the system in addition to the OS (Operating System) itself which takes up a decent amount of "bandwidth."

Don't get it twisted, like I said, I'm no expert. I could be horribly wrong. But I do believe no one ever takes these things into account when they compare their highly-touted 10GB RAM custom monster PC to a console.
---
"[The name] Dreamcast makes me think of rainbows and males kissing." - HollowPinky on Nintendo's console name change to Wii
#13ZetgobPosted 1/31/2013 11:29:23 PM
I think the important thing is more RAM, which will result in better RTS, strategy, tycoon, etc. games. PCs have always been the only way to go for those types of games because of consoles' s****y RAM. The PS4 is supposed to have 8GB of RAM right? Much better than the horrible 520MB consoles have now.

I always thought this was a control issue, as those games play infinitely better with the quick point and click movement of the mouse.
#14kloud 11Posted 1/31/2013 11:33:23 PM
I'll never understand the logic that graphics and gameplay are mutually exclusive aspects of game design.
#15killakPosted 1/31/2013 11:46:46 PM
The next consoles will focus more on networking than anything else. Graphics will see a reasonable boost, but it's going to be all about the features of the console, not the horsepower.
---
When the evil Shredder attacks, These turtle boys don't cut 'em no slack.
#16morphinapgPosted 1/31/2013 11:52:37 PM
There's still a lot we can do. Just look at the best looking PC games today and compare them to the console games. Already a major leap. However, there are several issues with the PS3 we can easily fix with the new system:

- No more 540p / sub-HD graphics. Make it a requirement that all games render in 1080p native.

- 3D capabilities for all games. I would allow 3D games to be rendered at 720p if necessary, but would advise against it. (although as far as I know there isn't a standard 1080p60 frame packed 3D standard right now)

- Make it a requirement that some form of Anti-aliasing is required. With plasmas and LCD/LED TVs, the pixels are too clear to not have AA. No AA was okay for CRT TVs, because their pixels weren't all that sharp, but it just doesn't cut it anymore. Post processed AA can often look as good as 4x AA, but uses less processing power than 2x AA, so it may be a good place to go to for those games that need the full power of the system, but true AA should be preferred over post processed.

- Polygon count. For the most part, this applies to in-game character models, as well as organic scenery decorations such as trees.

- Skin shaders. We're doing good. If you look at Heavy Rain or Uncharted 2/3, we've got some good skin shaders, but this should be standard with every game with human characters. No more plastic/rubber looking skin please.

- Water simulation. We're seeing some good water simulation with Uncharted 3 and Assassin's Creed 3, but it could still be improved. The same with fire effects and other particle simulated effects.

- Hair. The Uncharted games have some of the best real time hair I've seen, but it can be better. Higher poly, better facial hair, better hair physics.

- Grass. Some games have decent grass, but almost all grass this gen is layered flat images. We can improve the look and interaction with grass.

- Better in game facial animation. While cutscene facial animation is very well done, typically in game there are less polygons to deal with, so the animation suffers. The AC games do a decent job with it, but it can still be improved substantially.

- In game reflections. We've seen some of this, but not a whole lot. In game reflection should be improved. Better resolution and work better with non-flat objects.

- Tesselation for things like bricks on the side of buildings, or other objects with added detail. Should be used wisely though. If you're far enough away, normal maps should be sufficient. Used wisely it can even reduce the amount of polygons for further away objects, make close up objects far more detailed. Used unwisely it can unnecessarily increase polygon count and lower frame rates.

- Global illumination. This can be done with prerendered textures for a very realistic look, but with objects that react dynamically, there are methods to simulate it in real time as well. This should be used more often. It would be a substantial improvement over existing SSAO implementations.

- Better shadows. While we have shadows, even in the nicest looking games these shadows are very low resolution. This should be an easy fix with the added ram and power.
#17SL68Posted 1/31/2013 11:54:44 PM
What people constantly forgets is that only the biggest publishers will be able to afford to make CGI-like graphics in the first place. No matter the hardware, small companies won't be able to achieve that.

I just hope the Ps4 won't be $599... then it'll be crushed by the iPad.
#183D3Posted 1/31/2013 11:56:44 PM
New games.

Devs like Naughy Dog, Santa Monica etc. will eventually move on from the PS3.
---
Because Naughty Dog
Joel+Ellie=Jelly...You Jelly?
#19Lelouch71Posted 2/1/2013 12:01:09 AM
What reason is there to jump into any new gen? Simple the games.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#20pixel378Posted 2/1/2013 8:09:12 AM
3D3 posted...
New games.

Devs like Naughy Dog, Santa Monica etc. will eventually move on from the PS3.

Eventually as in right after the new Last of us and GOW games release. They are probably the only 2 in house devs still working on ps3 games.
---
MGO- Mr. Detroit