This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do YOU care about backward compatibility?

#11Merc123Posted 2/1/2013 3:16:57 AM
No, i have bad memories of PS2 backwards compatibility on PS3. Tried to play one of the old PS2 Naruto games and every ultimate attack the game would freeze. Guess it couldnt handle it. Persona 3 also ran like crap.
---
http://www.facebook.com/MEmarauder - Marauder Shields Facebook page.
#12beebarbPosted 2/1/2013 3:17:36 AM
kingofall214 posted...
As soon as a 1TB SSD comes out and is cheap I am sticking that sucker right in my ps3.

I don't trust SSDs. It's true they are faster, but they have limited write cycles. 10,000 to 100,000 per memory cell, depending upon the type and quality of the flash memory in use.

They can fail quickly or over a long time, depending upon how much they are accessed. They fail in one of two ways, depending upon the flash memory in use:

1. Complete failure, all data is lost.
2. Write failure, the drive is still readable but can't be written to.

Maintenance cannot be performed upon an SSD, making it impossible to extend it's usable period. Mechanical disks on the other hand, can store data cheaply, and with a proper maintenance routine, can be made usable up to four times the expected usable period.

The expected usable period of an SSD is shorter than that of the typical mechanical disk as well.
---
We shall rise again to start anew.
White FC: 0862-2660-4156 / 3DS FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 4556-7836-2644
#13mooooo99Posted 2/1/2013 4:23:16 AM
whilst i will be keeping my ps3 i do hope that there is some kind of backwards compatibility as im not sure these consoles will last forever and its always nice to go back and play some older games..
although its not something that will be a system seller for me im not going to be too upset should the ps4 not incorporate b/c..
#14osboesPosted 2/1/2013 5:21:31 AM
Yes I do. As someone who doesn't own a 360 this gen, it would be pretty tempting for me if the next xbox had b/c with 360 titles. That would be two libraries in one, and could sway with away from getting a PS4.

It's like the Wii. Didn't own a GC but that fact my wii is bc is quite a good thing. The Nintendo handhelds have also done this and have often tempted me back.
#15Erupt50Posted 2/1/2013 5:31:07 AM
No I don't. Actually I would rather them not waist time or money on it. If you want to play a ps3 game, play it on the ps3.
---
PSN- Erupt50 XBL- Erupt50
#16ThamauturgePosted 2/1/2013 5:38:36 AM
Yes, because I want to have something to play while I am waiting for PS4 games to come out. Plus, it would suck if all these great PS3 games that are coming out can't even be played on the PS4.
---
Vayne Solidor of the DD012FF Board
Currently playing: Persona 4: Golden, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
#17Shadowbird_RHPosted 2/1/2013 5:44:38 AM
Backwards compatibility is a valuable feature to me.

Scenario 1: You enjoyed your PS3 and want a PS4. With BC, you can transfer your data from the PS3 to the PS4, play your PS3 games on the PS4 as well as its own games without the PS3 taking up space/plugs/power, and you can either put the PS3 in another room to have its multimedia and games available in more places, or sell it to lessen the blow of buying a PS4

Scenario 2: You never owned or played a PS3, and you're kind of considering a PS4. Without BC, PS4's launch lineup is barely worth a passing thought, and you're confidant that your existing systems will keep you having fun up to the point where you have their successor and their games. With BC, the thought of having all the exclusives you missed by not having a PS3 accessible to you as well as the new games that will be coming out for both systems by having a PS4 makes buying a PS4 an irresistible deal.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#18ThamauturgePosted 2/1/2013 5:46:53 AM
Scenario 2: You never owned or played a PS3, and you're kind of considering a PS4. Without BC, PS4's launch lineup is barely worth a passing thought, and you're confidant that your existing systems will keep you having fun up to the point where you have their successor and their games. With BC, the thought of having all the exclusives you missed by not having a PS3 accessible to you as well as the new games that will be coming out for both systems by having a PS4 makes buying a PS4 an irresistible deal.

This is the exact reason why removing it from a business standpoint is an awful idea. I know that the only reason I want to get a Wii U soon is because it plays Wii games, and I never had a Wii. Sony would lose money and customers if they didn't launch with a BC model. And if they are concerned about the price, put out a second model that doesn't play PS2 games and is way cheaper.
---
Vayne Solidor of the DD012FF Board
Currently playing: Persona 4: Golden, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
#19ShadowSkill11Posted 2/1/2013 6:49:51 AM
I have a ps3 and a gaming computer. I'm good with every generation of PlayStation games.
#20este914Posted 2/1/2013 7:51:26 AM
killak posted...
I care about it, but there's too much chance of emulation (which will not be easy at all), and I can't think of anything worse than playing something like Uncharted and having horrendous issues that pop up.

The next gen might be one to let BC slide.

They already let it slide this gen bro... =\
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !