This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do YOU care about backward compatibility?

#21Ace_StrifePosted 2/1/2013 7:27:49 AM
As my PS3 starts to age, I'm starting to get worried about the whole YLOD thing. So it really would be nice if the PS4 could also play my old PS3 games.

Plus, I only have so much space for consoles in my dedicated gaming room (an upstairs bedroom), so being able to put away or even sell my PS3 if I get a PS4 would be preferred over keeping both hooked up ('m also a Nintendo gamer; currently, I have the PS3, Wii, and PS2 hooked up in that small room).
---
"Only good thing about Sephy was his music; Only thing he ever did was throw his mom at you and stab a flowergirl." - BattleJesus
#22NicodimusPosted 2/1/2013 8:15:11 AM
It seems to me there must be a solution that would make everybody happy. For those that don't care about it, for those that want it, and for Sony.

How about for $50 you could pay to download and unlock a PS2 emulator for PS4 that plays all your old discs? That way, Sony gets some money, the people that don't want it are not paying for extra hardware, and it's available to people that care about it?
---
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
#23work_a_holicPosted 2/1/2013 8:17:23 AM
I care about it, but it won't change my perspective on it without it. I won't be getting rid of my PS3, but it would be much more convenient.
#24LinkinLawgPosted 2/1/2013 8:21:01 AM
I thought there was a bit of a rumor going around that there would be a peripheral for the PS4 for backward compatibility. It would be nice if they did it that way, so it can just be bought as a separate add-on rather than including it in the system and driving the cost up.
---
PSN: LinkinLawg
Not changing this sig until I feel like it
#25William_18Posted 2/1/2013 8:21:53 AM
I do care about it and I don't at the same time.

I grew up in a time where there was NO backwards compatibility. I would have loved to play my NES games on my SNES when it came out but oh wells.

Now I would love it if the PS4 would play my PS1, PS2 and PS3 games but it wouldn't be the end of the world if it didn't. I am going to keep my PS3 and whatnot either way since I like to collect systems too so I'll be able to play my older games no matter what.
---
PSN: Kaminari2
If you don't believe in Jesus Christ, put this in your Sig.
#26HolyMcmolyPosted 2/1/2013 8:25:48 AM
No. If I'm spending a few hundred dollars on a PS4, it's because I want to play PS4 games. Sure it's convenient, but I doubt I'll even play any PS3 games once I have a PS4.
#27majin nemesisPosted 2/1/2013 8:49:38 AM
PS4 has to have BC because how i'm i going to play PS3 and PS2 and PS1 games once the my PS3 and PS2 die out
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage
#28Virus66Posted 2/1/2013 8:53:48 AM
I do care a little bit. When I bought my PS3, I finally had the chance to play all of the PS2 games since I never had a PS2. However, after I got the YLoD, I could no longer play my PS2 games since Sony sent me back a Slim instead of repairing my fat model. Now I have this catalog of PS2 games that I can no longer play. That's a little bit of a different issue than the matter at hand though

However, with the PS4, it would be nice to include BC so I don't have to have yet ANOTHER console in my entertainment center, but I can do without it since I already have a method to play PS3 games. Plus, if it would cut costs of the console to not have BC, then I would support it.
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
These days, all the kids are playing M rated games while the adults are lining up for Pokemon. Which game is a kid's game now?
#29DefYouthPosted 2/1/2013 9:07:33 AM
I want it there but I'm not making the same mistake I made last gen. I'm keeping my PS3.
---
Well, if I'm going to hell, I'm going there playing the piano. - Jerry Lee Lewis
#30TerotrousPosted 2/1/2013 9:10:18 AM
As someone who doesn't own a PS3, yes. Full BC is basically a requirement for me to consider buying PS4, otherwise I'll just buy a PS3 when they get cheap, like I did with PS2 since they removed BC from PS3.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery