This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Your reaction if instead of powerful specs Sony incorporates Social features

#1Garfield64Posted 2/1/2013 2:59:02 AM
Social features and how you interact with the machine instead of powerful specs would you - Results (71 votes)
Instant Buy
4.23% (3 votes)
Wait untill it dropped in price in 2-3 years then buy it
29.58% (21 votes)
Not bother with it and keep your PS3 without its "social features"
66.2% (47 votes)
This poll is now closed.
"incorporate more social gaming aspects into the new machine," and that the company is generally focused more on "changes in how users interact with the machine" rather than spec improvements.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/31/3939410/wsj-playstation-orbis-ps4-will-arrive-later-in-2013
---
WARNING: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
Is a very well known Troll, please do not fall for their shenanigans!
#2HellsingOrgPosted 2/1/2013 2:59:55 AM
Playstation Home was a social feature....
Sony can keep that crap.
I want games.
---
The bird of Hermes is my name eating my wings to make me tame.
#3Raven-ZPosted 2/1/2013 3:03:13 AM
If I cared about 'social aspects', I would have renewed my XBL Gold account.

Just slap some current technology and get the first-party devs creating some authentic next-gen game worlds optimised for that technology.
---
PSN/GT/Steam: Ravendust
Reviews are a metric of quality. Sales are a metric of popularity.
#4beebarbPosted 2/1/2013 3:04:24 AM
I would welcome a change like that, as it would mean that finally another console maker has realised what Nintendo did when they made the Wii.

Technical specs and needlessly high-res graphics don't really matter, it's the games and the resulting social interaction with friends, family, and new people that truly matters.
---
We shall rise again to start anew.
White FC: 0862-2660-4156 / 3DS FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 4556-7836-2644
#5kingofall214Posted 2/1/2013 3:06:47 AM
beebarb posted...
I would welcome a change like that, as it would mean that finally another console maker has realised what Nintendo did when they made the Wii.

Technical specs and needlessly high-res graphics don't really matter, it's the games and the resulting social interaction with friends, family, and new people that truly matters.

As someone who enjoys single player games and doesn't care about social features one bit I completely 100% disagree with your statement.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/kingofall214
#6SL68Posted 2/1/2013 3:07:15 AM
How can a dedicated home console be "social" when you have to be in the living room to use it?

Smartphones and tablets are social, because you carry them with you all the time.
#7Garfield64(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 3:12:12 AM
I hope this rumor has no truth to it at all regarding the similar specs.

Poor Sony never "getting it" when it matters.
---
WARNING: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
Is a very well known Troll, please do not fall for their shenanigans!
#8beebarbPosted 2/1/2013 3:25:43 AM
kingofall214 posted...
As someone who enjoys single player games and doesn't care about social features one bit I completely 100% disagree with your statement.

I too only enjoy single player games. But putting less of a focus on technical specs for whatever reason is a good thing, as games used to be about the games themselves and occasionally playing them with friends and family.

These days, it has become too focused on the unimportant, the graphics and technical specifications. Something has to divert the focus away from the unimportant and back to the roots of gaming.

If it happens to be social media, so be it.
---
We shall rise again to start anew.
White FC: 0862-2660-4156 / 3DS FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 4556-7836-2644
#9kingofall214Posted 2/1/2013 3:32:12 AM
beebarb posted...
kingofall214 posted...

I too only enjoy single player games. But putting less of a focus on technical specs for whatever reason is a good thing, as games used to be about the games themselves and occasionally playing them with friends and family.

These days, it has become too focused on the unimportant, the graphics and technical specifications. Something has to divert the focus away from the unimportant and back to the roots of gaming.

More power = more things you can do in a game. It's not all about graphics. Imagine how sick GTA would be if you could enter every building and go to the top floor or middle floor just to see what is there. Imagine being able to see 100's of enemies at once battling another 100 enemies. Imagine being able to play a racing game and when you crash you actually do damage to whatever you crash into like a building. Heck imagine a full open world game where you can go inside a building and plant c4 on a piller and leave and see the whole building collapse.

These kinds of things are what gaming is all about. I guess if all you played were games like mario kart and SSBB then I can see where you are coming from but a lot of gamers love what I described above. All those things would never be possible if they decided to limit tech and focus on social gaming.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/kingofall214
#10Raven-ZPosted 2/1/2013 4:06:53 AM
beebarb posted...
kingofall214 posted...

Sorry, but you're wrong. Games need to be increasingly complex to promote new innovations. To do that, they need new hardware.

It goes well beyond how many models a polygon has, or how big a texture's resolution is.

Without technological innovations, we would never have gameworlds the size of Skyrim (not on the Wii, amirite?), believable, expressive faces in LA Noire (also not on the Wii, amirite?), living cities in GTA4 (still not on the Wii, amirite?) car physics that measure every spring and gear in GT5 (never gonna be on the Wii, amirite?), destructable environments in Battlefield 3 (you get the point).

Even the acclaimed animation on the horses in Red Dead Redemption were a result of complex processors in the PS3/360. The thunder and rain effects in Heavy Rain. The gigantic moving levels in God of War 3.

Physics, A.I, lighting, shaders, animation, models, textures, sound, weather effects...a lot goes into making a high-fidelity experience. The more technology in the box, the more developers can do to create something authentic, believable or entirely fantastical. It gives them power.

Now imagine the future where this envelope keeps being pushed;

-Games where you can fly around the Earth and land anywhere. Or go into space!
-Games where explosions leave realistic craters that don't fade with time.
-Games with realistic liquid physics, with waves that lap, ripple and pour.
-Games with hundreds of on-screen people that behave realistically to danger.
-Progressively generated characters with progressively generated personalities.

We need technological innovation. We don't need a Facebook poke when our friends beat our high score in Peggle or when some jackass is playing Uncharted on Twitter.
---
PSN/GT/Steam: Ravendust
Reviews are a metric of quality. Sales are a metric of popularity.