This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you guys play so many rpgs

#11trenkenPosted 2/1/2013 2:52:40 PM
I honestly only play about 1 big one per year. This year I tackled Skyrim which I loved, and thats all I can deal with. I couldnt care less how good No ni Kuni is, I have no time for it. Not into that anime art style at all either.

I have a seriously issue with anime. I cant stand watching it, dont like any games at all that use that style. I own a DS and there are so many anime style games on it.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#12BluntGruntPosted 2/1/2013 2:52:46 PM
RPGs are my favorite genre. All that grinding and talking and whatnot doesn't annoy me in the slightest. In fact, I love all that. After I 100% one I can't wait to start playing another. I even play two or three at the same time. Like, one day I'll play this, and the other I'll play that. And I even go back and replay the ones that I've beaten. It's just something that I really enjoy.

Some people play a lot of FPS, sports games or platformers all the time, and some play a lot of RPGs. You might get bored of hundreds of hours of one RPG, but I get really bored of ten minutes of an FPS or a sports game.

Another reason why I can play so many RPGs might be because I don't even play games every day, so I don't get burned out and annoyed and whatnot.
---
For great justice!
#13AstroshakPosted 2/1/2013 2:59:16 PM
Manilo_Punish posted...
It seems like a lot of ppl just play a bunch of rpgs. I don't know about you, but after I invest around 100 hours into an rpg, I don't want to go straight to another one. I have to wait a couple of months. All of that grinding and stuff gets to be too much.

So don't grind. Instead, play the game.

Part of the fun of RPG's, whether PC RPG, Console RPG, SRPG, or Action RPG, is in the combat. Combat in general, is the meat of the RPG, after all - the story is just an excuse to get into fights. If you don't enjoy fighting in the RPG, then you simply do not enjoy the RPG.

There is an old saying : find a job you like, and you will never have to work another day in your life. A similar idea applies to gaming in general : find a game you like, and you will never notice how repetitive it all is. Lets be honest here - although different games, especially ones in different genres, have different mechanics, when you play one game you are constantly doing the same thing over and over and over and over in that game. It does not matter if it is an ARPG where you are swinging your sword/mace/spells at enemies as they appear on the screen, or the latest Soul Calibur and you are constantly attacking and blocking attacks from your opponent and playing many matches either online or against the AI, or if you are playing some FPS and are going for headshots again and again. Within a game, you are repeating the same actions over and over, so they had better be actions you enjoy doing, or you're not going to have fun with the game, period.

THAT is how and why I can play RPG after RPG after RPG. I enjoy them. I enjoy the combat, whether I'm grinding or simply crawling through a dungeon towards some goal. I enjoy the story element, the character development (stat or personality, as applicable), everything. When I find an RPG I don't like an element of, such as Oblivion's and Morrowind's PC controls, or the PS3 version of Dragon Age Origins' controls, I don't play that RPG. I may seek that RPG on a platform better suited to the game (such as getting Oblivion on PS3, or getting Dragon Age Origins on PC) or I may not.