This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Playstation 4 needs to be backwards compatible.

#71angry_cowtipperPosted 2/5/2013 1:12:13 AM
With some games, sure. Not with PS3 though
---
Far Cry 3, Don't Starve (PC), AC3 (PS3), Dungeon Defenders (AND), Gravity Rush (VITA)
#72Thor61Posted 2/5/2013 1:17:53 AM
It's not gonna happen. The extra cost and hassle isn't worth the effort to satisfy a few lazy asses that refuse to get up and plug in their PS3.
#73SpirituousPosted 2/5/2013 2:44:29 AM
Thor61 posted...
It's not gonna happen. The extra cost and hassle isn't worth the effort to satisfy a few lazy asses that refuse to get up and plug in their PS3.

Good job completely ignoring the facts that Sony will stop making/supporting/repairing PS3 in the not to distant future with the PS4 coming out sometime this year.

Which means
Sony Stops Support
PS3 Breaks
Kiss Your PS3 Game Library Goodbye
You Wish PS4 Had Backwards Compatibility

Does anybody have any common sense left? Good Lord.

It's akin to buying a newer model car of the same brand, but the new model has no side airbags in it. Oh it has front airbags, but we took out the side airbags, cause it cost us to much to included, and nobody will miss them. Unless you get hit in a car wreck on the side.

Oh, & our competition includes side airbags with all their cars regardless of model because they actually provide good customer service, and want to have safe & happy customers.

But we at Sony say, "screw that noise", we do things our own way regardless of how many customers we may tick off.

Backwards Compatibility Meeting

Microsoft - Yea! Our library is Huge!
Nintendo - Mamma Mia! Okee Dokee!
Sony - Nah! We pass the savings on to you by making PS3 HD collections.

Sony can not afford anymore screwups, as they are in major financial trouble/debt.
If they pull it off this gen they'll win very big, but if they lose, Sony may never recover.
Hopefully they learned their lesson with the PS3, but then again there is the PS Vita mess, Wonderbook, PS Move etc.

It would be a shame if they went like Sega and did Software Only. As Sony hardware is really top notch. Just have to see which way things go.
#74evoxpiscesPosted 2/5/2013 9:42:19 AM
PS4 without BC = no buy for me. I almost did not buy PS3 because it didn't play PS2 games (the newer version) I'm just tired of accumulating new consoles...I just don't have the room for them. I would love it if PS4 played PS1, 2, 3, and 4 games. Then I'd be set.
#75nihilist212Posted 2/5/2013 9:46:15 AM
I don't care about BC personally. If I want to play older games, I play them on those systems. Not a big deal.
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#76daigre7Posted 2/5/2013 9:54:03 AM
I think GTA5 has played or will play a role in PS4 BC.

PS4 will be released this year, probably between October and November. GTA5 comes out late September and I don't believe it will have a next-gen version. So I don't see Sony preventing customers from playing their brand-new copy of GTA5 on their $400 PS4.
---
PSN - Hand_Banana
#77killakPosted 2/5/2013 9:57:49 AM

You would have common sense if you realised that Cell and the nVidia chipset will be required to run PS3 games.

no way, no how, will AMD allow their chipset to be paired with a rival, and the PS4 won't have a hope in hell for pure software emulation. It can't even do partial since the idea of having the PS3 hardware in it, is ludicrous.
---
Caller: Do you have this game, "i wanna f*** your mother?"
Me (At EB Games): No, but we do have 'Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader' *click*
#78RyuuHou25Posted 2/5/2013 4:31:42 PM
Spirituous posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
Spirituous posted...
If Sony does not offer backwards compatibility on PS4 then I'm done with them.
It was bad enough they removed backwards compatibility from the PS3, but if they do it again, I'm finished with them. I won't lose anymore game libraries because of them removing stuff like backwards compatibility.

If Microsoft has backwards compatibility with 360 games, then I'm supporting them next gen. Even Nintendo offers better backwards compatibility then Sony right now. If Sony is serious about competing next gen, then backwards compatibility is a must.

Man, those hundreds of NES games that aren't on the VC for Wii(U), not to mention those SNES, Genesis, TurboGrafx 16, Gamecube games, N64 games....those must just drive you NUTS, huh?

What the hell does that have to do with Sony's backwards compatibility on the PS4? Sony lost a lot of customers to Microsoft with the way they did the PS3 launch with the cost so insanely high, removing backwards compatibility, removing other OS, etc

They can't afford to alienate more customers by repeating those same mistakes again.
Microsoft will more than likely have backwards compatibility for 360 games with the next Xbox.

Wii U already has full backwards compatibility with Wii games.

For Sony to NOT provide any form of backwards compatibility, whether through hardware, add on hardware or, via software emulation would be a negative against them.

The people who say backwards compatibility doesn't matter are probably the same people who get Mommy & Daddy to buy them everything, and that's why they care less about wasting other people's money like that.

Newsflash! PS3's will break down eventually, & when Sony stops making them and your PS3 game library is good for gathering dust, you'll wish Sony included backwards compatibility on PS4's. Ah to be young and idiotic.

And so did all the other consoles that came out in the last 40 years genius. People somehow managed to get past that!! You will too princess.

The fact you couldn't even grasp the correlation between what I said and what you're babbling is astounding and just shows you're blatant obliviousness and ignorance to the fact that consoles have come out for years on end NOT PLAYING THE PREVIOUS CONSOLES GAMES.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#79SpirituousPosted 2/5/2013 4:40:01 PM
killak posted...

You would have common sense if you realised that Cell and the nVidia chipset will be required to run PS3 games.

no way, no how, will AMD allow their chipset to be paired with a rival, and the PS4 won't have a hope in hell for pure software emulation. It can't even do partial since the idea of having the PS3 hardware in it, is ludicrous.

Sony can most certainly do backwards compatibility via an add on hardware part or even via software emulation. The original PS1 titles run on complete software emulation on all PS3's, and the PS1 chipset is vastly different then the PS3's cell processor. PS2 titles purchased on the Playstation Store run on all PS3's via Sony themselves coding said titles to run on PS3 hardware. So don't give me any of that bs of Sony not being able to offer some form of backward compatibility.

They can do any of the following:

1. Offer a digital version of a PS3 title for download if you have purchased the title, similar to what they did with PSP UMD titles, for people switching to PS Vita.

2. Offer some form of hardware add on that has the cell/nvidia processor that would allow you to play your PS3 games on the PS4.

3. Have some form of software emulation for PS3 titles for PS4.

Please don't make random crap up just to try and look smart, it makes you look the exact opposite and adds nothing to the actual discussion at hand.

As I've said before, if Sony has no form of backwards compatibility whatsoever that will be a major negative against them. Even if they have the better hardware then the next Xbox, it won't matter if they (Sony) pull another stunt like they did with the PS3 as that will drive customers away.

Irregardless of whether or not backwards compatibility matters to you personally, it will affect sales of PS4, and Sony will lose customers over it if they go that route. And they would be foolish as a company to repeat those same types of mistakes that they did with the PS3.

Backwards compatibility is important to many people out there, myself included.
've been a long time supporter of Sony, but I am not blind to the facts of the situation, nor act like so many fanboy's out there who just tow the company line.
#80BlinkWinkelPosted 2/5/2013 4:43:19 PM
sicko26us posted...
Thamauturge posted...
No BC is a total fail at this point, with digital and everything especially. No BC = No buy for at least 2 year

This. Why waste the money being an early adopter if I can't even play my old games in the meantime? If it isn't BC then I will wait until PS4 games are worth playing on their own. TBH, a PS4 that played PS1-PS2-PS3-PS4 games would literally be the best console of all time, IMO.

At least it wont be like the PS2, in that it will be noticeably better looking on its successor console since it can be plugged into HDMI and you can use smoothing. PS3 is already an HD console, so it wouldn't be a huge difference.

+ 1 more, there will be no reason to buy it anytime soon if it doesn't have BC.

+2. If it has no BC then I won't be buying it either until a price drop in 2 years or so. Besides, I don't see the point of buying a PS4 the day it's out if no BC. Going to wait until it has a handful of good games first. If it has BC though, I'll sell my PS3 for extra money and buy it sooner.
---
PSN: http://psnprofiles.com/BlinkWinkel