This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Playstation 4 needs to be backwards compatible.

#81Dicer7Posted 2/5/2013 5:52:33 PM
Say some Xbox players want to make the jump to Sony for next gen for whatever reason (I know a lot of Xbox players being bummed out for missing out on the Uncharted series, The Last of Us and other exclusives), the PS4 having PS3 BC would be perfect for drawing in NEW consumers to the Sony brand. The first year of PS4 is likely to be pretty dry so it would give those who never got to enjoy PS3 exclusives a chance to catch up while the PS4's library slowly grows.

Don't say people like that should just buy a PS3. Unless PS3s go down under $200 most gamers would rather spend that money towards a next gen console.
#82ZendaikPosted 2/5/2013 6:29:24 PM
Dicer7 posted...
Say some Xbox players want to make the jump to Sony for next gen for whatever reason (I know a lot of Xbox players being bummed out for missing out on the Uncharted series, The Last of Us and other exclusives), the PS4 having PS3 BC would be perfect for drawing in NEW consumers to the Sony brand. The first year of PS4 is likely to be pretty dry so it would give those who never got to enjoy PS3 exclusives a chance to catch up while the PS4's library slowly grows.

Don't say people like that should just buy a PS3. Unless PS3s go down under $200 most gamers would rather spend that money towards a next gen console.

This is the position I'm in, though I don't own a 360. I'd love to get a PS4 and play all the PS3 games I missed (and the ones yet to release) for 2 years while the library grows. Would absolutely buy an add on for PS3 BC if need be.

Why do some people assume everyone already owns a PS3?
---
Monster Hunter Tri, Kid Icarus: Uprising IDs: Kirolos
#83killakPosted 2/5/2013 6:46:33 PM
Sony can most certainly do backwards compatibility via an add on hardware part or even via software emulation. The original PS1 titles run on complete software emulation on all PS3's, and the PS1 chipset is vastly different then the PS3's cell processor. PS2 titles purchased on the Playstation Store run on all PS3's via Sony themselves coding said titles to run on PS3 hardware. So don't give me any of that bs of Sony not being able to offer some form of backward compatibility.

You don't even understand how much more advanced, a PS3 to a PS2, and the fact that it can run f*** all of it's library, via emulation or as they're called....."PS2 classics".

They cannot emulate PS3 games. That is just a ridiculous concept, and they can't just stick their own hardware in there to do it, since it doesn't belong to them.

PS2 titles purchased on the playstation store, are emulated. It's how they run on PS3 hardware. PS1 BC on the PS2, required PS2 hardware until they bought out a company that made the perfect emulator, and used it in the PS2. The PS1 was not powerful in any sense of the word. The PS2 was much more powerful and the PS3 makes the ps2 look like a bad joke. If you think the PS4 will emulate the PS3.......LMAO. Expect to pay HUGE bucks for it then.

They can do any of the following:

1. Offer a digital version of a PS3 title for download if you have purchased the title, similar to what they did with PSP UMD titles, for people switching to PS Vita.

2. Offer some form of hardware add on that has the cell/nvidia processor that would allow you to play your PS3 games on the PS4.

3. Have some form of software emulation for PS3 titles for PS4.

1. They just need to go to every developer and ask them all to recode their games so they can sell them on the store. The only viable option, however it's irrelevant since that isnt BC

2. Do you understand that the new playstion will have an AMD cPU and an AMD GPU? There will be no nVidia in it at all.

3. I'm not going to entertain that for long enough to respond. You go right ahead.

Please don't make random crap up just to try and look smart, it makes you look the exact opposite and adds nothing to the actual discussion at hand.

As I've said before, if Sony has no form of backwards compatibility whatsoever that will be a major negative against them. Even if they have the better hardware then the next Xbox, it won't matter if they (Sony) pull another stunt like they did with the PS3 as that will drive customers away.

Irregardless of whether or not backwards compatibility matters to you personally, it will affect sales of PS4, and Sony will lose customers over it if they go that route. And they would be foolish as a company to repeat those same types of mistakes that they did with the PS3.

Backwards compatibility is important to many people out there, myself included.
've been a long time supporter of Sony, but I am not blind to the facts of the situation, nor act like so many fanboy's out there who just tow the company line.

I'm not making up random crap, you are simply illogical, and ignorant of the situation at hand. Then inability to play your entire library on the PS3, should've been the slap in the face you need.

BC is important to me, too, but face facts.......you will never get BC for PS3 game discs, on the PS4
---
"does the game give you any guidance at some point? How do I f***ing figure s*** out?" - darksydephil, trying to beat the opening of Bayonetta
#84SpirituousPosted 2/5/2013 10:09:17 PM
Sony can do some form of backwards compatibility, bottom line. If they chose not to, then they will lose plenty of customers over it. You want to increase your customer base, not shrink it.
#85killakPosted 2/5/2013 10:11:07 PM
Sony can do some form of backwards compatibility, bottom line. If they chose not to, then they will lose plenty of customers over it. You want to increase your customer base, not shrink it.

They didn't this gen, so I don't think it's an issue, really
---
When the evil Shredder attacks, These turtle boys don't cut 'em no slack.
#86GoatJugSoupPosted 2/5/2013 10:15:31 PM
I would like BC but its not like I intend to be a first year buyer of the ps4 in any case
---
http://psnprofiles.com/goatjugsoup1278
GW2 Character Name: Ranger Goat of Yogi, Guild: Knights of Chicken
#87Proto1215Posted 2/5/2013 11:25:53 PM
I hope it does. I plan on giving my PS3 to my little cousin as a birthday gift. I'm in a gaming funk right now where I don't feel like playing anything even though I have big backlog and there are still great new games coming out. Hopefully when new hardware comes out, it'll get me back in the gaming mood.