This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why play video games when the developers ruin our favorite franchises?

#1SepucherPosted 2/1/2013 3:17:13 PM
Every series that we've learned to love has been dumbed down to hell.

Splinter Cell: Used to be a highly acclaimed stealth game. Now it's an action game now.

Tomb Raider: Used to be a puzzle and platofrming game with some action. Now it's the opposite.

Ghost Recon: Used to be a strategy game. Now it's an action game.

Resident Evil: Used to be a survival horror game. Now it's a balls to the walls shooter.

Devil May Cry: It was dumbed down and simplified for a new audience.

Final Fantasy: Graphics are more important, the world and exploration is miniscule, and the creativity is gone.

Hitman: Absolution was dumbed down in comparison to past games.

Dead Space: Used to be a scary corridor shooter. Now is another balls to the walls action series.

Call of Duty and Metal of Honor: Everything is taking place in modern day. No more historical and sci-fi shooters.

Silent Hill: Konami is trying to get as much as they can for as little as possible, only hiring unproven small inexperienced Western developers. They can't even do an HD collection right.

So many of our favorite franchises that were once survival horror, platformers, strategical games, etc. have been simplified beyond recognition. I was in Gamestop today and seeing the trailer for the new Splinter Cell disgusted me beyond belief.

Why the hell do we even play video games when our favorite franchises are being ruined?
---
Living is in the way we die
#2arstosPosted 2/1/2013 3:24:53 PM
because new games and franchises are being created everyday, sure some of my old favorite franchises suck now, but theres still plenty of stuff to play.
---
PSN: dragonlibrarian plays; Awesomenauts, Skullgirls, Jojo's HD, SSFIITHDR, SFIII: OE, MVC2, AH3, KoF 94/95/96/XIII, VF5:FS, P4A, GGXXAC+HD, CS:GO, UTIII
#3DemiFistPosted 2/1/2013 3:26:24 PM
Gaming is just as fun to me as it was 20 years ago, I have no reason to stop now.
All of the above mentioned issues just sound like personal problems to me, maybe 'you' should stop gaming...
---
Eluveitie greatest Band Ever, So "Get Da Folk UP!!!"
#4BeknessPosted 2/1/2013 3:28:11 PM
A lot of those games are long running series, they either get slammed because it's the same as the last game, or they get slammed because they took it in a new direction. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
---
Never gonna give you up
#5Deimos259Posted 2/1/2013 3:28:13 PM
Why play video games at all when they aren't perfect?
---
http://db.tt/xj1JkeLe
#6PhaseSlaethePosted 2/1/2013 4:42:47 PM
Why do people consistently confuse the two?

PUBLISHERS have more of a say in the game than the developers do. After all, the developers aren't paying themselves.
#7Lexar_Posted 2/1/2013 4:51:46 PM
Bekness posted...
A lot of those games are long running series, they either get slammed because it's the same as the last game, or they get slammed because they took it in a new direction. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

---
Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all. -Friedrich Nietzsche
#8ValorZraykPosted 2/1/2013 4:58:28 PM
Sepucher posted...
Call of Duty and Metal of Honor: Everything is taking place in modern day. No more historical and sci-fi shooters.

I don't play FPS's that much but I agree with this.

As for Final Fantasy, I think it's in a great place. The only problem SE has is FF14 (about to be fixed) and long dev times.
---
Kingdom Hearts: 3D>BbS>1>Days>Coded>ReCOM>2 >CoM
Final Fantasy: 10>13>7>12>4>1>2>10-2
#9jbl8199Posted 2/1/2013 4:59:23 PM
Smh. It's not the developers that ruin franchises. It's the whiny self-entitled GAMERS that ruin franchises. Even companies like Capcom and EA can be good if you let it, but the masses of spoiled brats expect the devs to bow to their every whim(Mass Effect 3 ending for example). It's not up to the gamers who puts what in a video game. It's up to the devs. And if the gamers don't like a game because it doesn't meet their unrealistic needs, then they just have to deal with it and play something else.
#10agrissaPosted 2/1/2013 5:05:51 PM
Don't forget Ace Combat, Front Mission, Armored Core, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, Parasite Eve.....all of these franchises are now a hollow shell of their former selves.
---
I am the Message Board Superhero- Getting rid of trolls one at a time. You're welcome.
~Number of trolls owned:2~ ~ Number of fans:7~