This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why play video games when the developers ruin our favorite franchises?

#11calhoun1389Posted 2/1/2013 6:22:24 PM
A lot of those games are long running series, they either get slammed because it's the same as the last game, or they get slammed because they took it in a new direction. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

That's because it's better to end on a high note then to attempt a complete renovation of the series. Publishers seem to have a hard time letting good selling franchises die with their dignity, instead preferring to drag them through the mud in order to get as much money from the franchise as possible.
---
http://digitalmasters.4umotion.com/ Join and make friends.
My Anime List: http://tinyurl.com/c6ylh9y (Updates regularly)
#12enigma2274Posted 2/1/2013 6:27:35 PM
Bekness posted...
A lot of those games are long running series, they either get slammed because it's the same as the last game, or they get slammed because they took it in a new direction. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

This. personally I think games get better every year. Been gaming for 30 years.
---
Currently playing:EDF 2017, P3P, LBP Vita, Far Cry 3, Ni No Kuni
#13ZoraPrincessPosted 2/1/2013 6:28:24 PM
I'm tired of watching our favorite series from last gen be dumbed down as well. Why reboot DMC when the last game sold 2.7 Million? Why dumb down FF when the last games sell fantastic?
#14nouseravailablePosted 2/1/2013 6:32:24 PM
Because none of these things were ever my favorite franchises (except Final Fantasy, but that was ruined by ffx anyway). Any franchise is inevitably heading toward stagnation. There is a limit to the ammount of inovation you can pour in without betraying the characteristics that made the franchise a classic. I really think that in the end, those will inevitably fail to fit the trend among gamedesign (that stuff that reivewers seems call "quality" and "deepness") unless they become something completely deformed. The only thing we can do is hope that the new stuff pleases us as much as the old stuff used to. There is probably more to it, related to the clowns that surround that gameindustry or how it grew as a business process but that is just life. Relax and enjoy while you can... for every dead Lucas Arts game there is a new 999 and Phoenis Wright in the horizon (i like think like that).
---
NP: R&C A Crack in Time and Tales of Symphonia.
#15SoaringDivePosted 2/1/2013 6:38:51 PM
Bekness posted...

Metroid Prime is a good example. Take the core progression and ideas of the previous games, and change the mechanics and how the player interacts in a way that enforces those themes and motifs.

Dead Space 3 is a bad example. Changing a horror game into a multiplayer Sci-Fi bonanza. It's the same at face value - same controls, look, etc. But everything else was changed to the point that the games are in entirely different genres. That's not innovating, or evolving, that's throwing your fans under the bus for a completely different, unrelated audience.
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#16glory of power metalPosted 2/1/2013 6:42:27 PM
Because when developers begin working on a new installment they get to make the fun choice between getting backlash for playing it safe and not bringing anything new to the table with the sequel or face equal backlash for daring to change something to stop the series from becoming stale, like this topic is doing.

If you look at it as, "The formula has changed a bit. If I don't like it I'll return to the old titles or move on to something else," rather than projecting some type of "how dare they choose to not continue to please my very refined palate," entitlement, everything will be fine.

Just go with the flow. Like a leaf in the shoulders of a mighty river.
---
i7-950 3.4GHz | GeForce GTX 285 | 16 GB DDR3 | NEC 2490WUXi 1920x1200
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher
#17Sepucher(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 8:23:32 PM
agrissa posted...
Don't forget Ace Combat, Front Mission, Armored Core, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, Parasite Eve.....all of these franchises are now a hollow shell of their former selves.

I forgot Ninja Gaiden....what a f***ing horrible abomination that was.
---
Living is in the way we die
#18DavCubePosted 2/1/2013 8:48:15 PM
A chunk of those are just overreactions to any amount of change at all, be it better or worse, which honestly is something that annoys me much more than the legitimate betrayals the companies churn out.
---
http://backloggery.com/davcube