This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

CONFIRMED EA is the worst company ever in gaming history

#81king_maddenPosted 2/1/2013 11:50:05 PM
are you guys arguing whats horror and whats thriller now?

is there a horror and thriller video game genre?
#82spectermaster14Posted 2/2/2013 12:03:28 AM(edited)
Snip.

I'm going to assume that a lot of that is hyperbole. I'm a horror fan myself and Alien and The Thing are two of my five favorite movies ever, but if you say they're nightmare inducing to you as an adult you have to just be exaggerating to prove a point. They're about perfect in terms of scifi horror for me, love 'em to death, but nearly ******** yourself at the sight of a Xeno? Come on. The design is immaculate and not at all unscary, but you'd have to be raised in a bubble to have genuinely never seen one before seeing a scene from the film. The creature is so ingrained into our popular culture that the original film should be, by your definition, unscary to most viewers. Hell, at the time I'm writing this I literally just saw the thing pop up in a Robot Chicken commercial. Is it suddenly unscary?

There's more to the film than fear of the unknown and being familiar with the creature in no way makes it less potent. You kept brushing aside the dinner scene because it gave you a glimpse of the creature (And discredit it however you want, it did. Bursters are only a few limbs and a growth spurt away from an adult Xeno, their designs are similar enough to give you a good idea of what the final form will look like.) To me, the horror has never come from the creature itself. The alien atmosphere is the biggest culprit. Even on the Nostromo you feel out of place. Maybe it's because I watched it so many years after release (I, too, was born after it came out. Long after.), but I wasn't used to ship design like that when I saw it. The derelict ship's design still keeps its creepiness, partly because the Space Jockey and ship interior aren't quite as over exposed, but the imagery itself plays a huge part.

You're obviously a fan of the movies, you don't need to be told about the blatant yonic and phalic imagery. The warped, vaguely humanoid imagery of the ship and creatures - seriously, to this day, the Space Jockey is way creepier looking to me than the Xeno itself. - play a much bigger role in making the film as a whole creepy than keeping the monster in the dark. Honestly, the whole idea of the unknown being inherently scary kind of falls apart when you factor in repeat viewings to begin with. You may not know who the creature is inhabiting during your first viewing of The Thing, but what about your second? It's the fantastic creature design., body horror, claustrophobic setting, and high tension that makes it scary.

And what about games? Your examples only really bring up the unknown, and that can be horrifying, yes, but over the course of a ten hour adventure, you're not gonna get much "unknown" by the end of the game. Silent Hill is very creepy. The opening with the back alley, corpse, and Gray Children is out of nowhere and creepy, and that definitely is - partly, at least - because you have no idea what's happening. But by the time you're at the school, you've seen what the Otherworld has to offer. By the time you're about to face down the Incubator/Incubus, you know what the Otherworld is, why it's being warped, who's warping it, why, etc, etc. You essentially know every facet of the once unknown world. But it's still scary, isn't it?

Dead Space is no different. If anything, your unknown argument applies to it, as well. Twenty minutes into the first game when you see your first Necro, you have no idea what it is. Throughout the game itself you don't know who'll live, who'll die, who to trust, so on and so forth. How is it different? Deny it all you want, but you're just setting up pointless hoops for a product to jump through to consider it horror. Horror is a very complicated genre. It's hard to even say the intent to scare qualifies something as horror, considering the prominence of horror-comedy and other, less scare focused subgenres. You're boiling it down to its most basic parts and, yes, acting elitist by disqualifying products that don't fit your mold.
#83jubjub360Posted 2/2/2013 12:03:35 AM
spectermaster14 posted...
Snip.

Post confirming that you didn't read and just assumed things.

We're done here. If anyone actually wants to debate and discuss properly without all of the no reading, no comprehension, and no assuming things, give a good response back.
---
I am the TRUE Message Board Superhero- Getting rid of trolls one at a time. You're welcome.
~Number of trolls owned:5~ ~ Number of fans:11~
#84spectermaster14Posted 2/2/2013 12:08:40 AM
spectermaster14 posted...
Snip.

Post confirming that you didn't read and just assumed things.

We're done here. If anyone actually wants to debate and discuss properly without all of the no reading, no comprehension, and no assuming things, give a good response back.

I don't know why I bothered, thanks for proving my point. Now go ahead and explain to me how that isn't elitist bull ****.
#85jrr18Posted 2/2/2013 12:31:37 AM
You too do know that what your arguing is subjective right?
---
Victory over death itself through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#86Power TurtlePosted 2/2/2013 12:38:02 AM
alot of what ea does is offer you what you can already get in game, but on a very expensive silver platter. I think that genious! If they can get suckers to buy that crap then more power to them! And the few 'exclusive' things they eventually release as DLC is atleast fairly priced for what it is! Whereas Capcom puts things that are impossible to get at all in game and slaps an insane price on it..
#87wstfldPosted 2/2/2013 1:06:27 AM
Don't buy it. I buy about 5-6 EA games a year and have only purchased Big Surf Island as DLC.
---
Last Played: Civ 5 G&K (9.5/10)
Now Playing: XCOM Enemy Unknown, Civ 5, DmC, SOTC HD
#88kingrat2314Posted 2/2/2013 5:09:37 AM
That isn't dlc, insofar as it's the things you can buy via microtransactions.
---
I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of ass. I'm out of gum too. I guess I'll just sit here.