This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are gamers are so critical with the games frame rate?

#51kingofjamaicaPosted 2/2/2013 9:55:02 AM
2 things that really jump out at me with video games is varying frame rate with dips all over the place and screen tearing

This. As long as it's a consistent 30 or higher with no screen tearing, I don't care much. That said, I will always push for a constant 60fps simply because of how smooth it is. That's why I buy games on PC if I can.
---
At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says. - Arbor Day Rule, Grand List of RPG Cliches.
#52JoeydollazPosted 2/2/2013 10:00:00 AM
60fps just looks CLEANER and slow down during crazy situations is good to see
---
"Metal Gear Rising will be a port on PS3, P+ are xbots devs that never created/developed or even ported Bayonetta on PS3"- 12/2011
#53JoveHackPosted 2/2/2013 10:03:15 AM
fallenswords posted...
did you play Shadow of the Colossus last gen?

that is a great example of a great game that has a framerate that makes it near unplayable.

That's a good point.

kingofjamaica posted...
This. As long as it's a consistent 30 or higher with no screen tearing, I don't care much. That said, I will always push for a constant 60fps simply because of how smooth it is. That's why I buy games on PC if I can.

The funny thing about screen tearing, is that it's the result of the game outputting frames faster than the TV can display them. Lack of synchronization results in the next frame being displayed before the previous frame finishes. The point where the new frame's refresh overwrites the previous frame in progress is where the "tear" occurs.

That was surprising, considering that it's most noticeable in God of War II on the PS2. Surprising because the game has great graphics and depth of field, and the tearing occurs in open areas.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
http://primal.wikia.com
#54kingofjamaicaPosted 2/2/2013 10:06:44 AM
The funny thing about screen tearing, is that it's the result of the game outputting frames faster than the TV can display them. Lack of synchronization results in the next frame being displayed before the previous frame finishes. The point where the new frame's refresh overwrites the previous frame in progress is where the "tear" occurs.

No, that's one of the causes. Screen tearing also occurs when the next frame isn't fully built and the GPU decides to push it out anyway. That's caused by your framerate dipping below the refresh rate of your monitor, and that's the far more common cause of screen tearing.

You have to have your framerate go pretty damn high over your monitor's refresh rate before tearing occurs.
---
At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says. - Arbor Day Rule, Grand List of RPG Cliches.
#55TheBonfiniPosted 2/2/2013 10:12:45 AM
Slowdown sucks and can affect gameplay.
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#56JoveHackPosted 2/2/2013 10:15:27 AM
kingofjamaica posted...

No, that's one of the causes. Screen tearing also occurs when the next frame isn't fully built and the GPU decides to push it out anyway. That's caused by your framerate dipping below the refresh rate of your monitor, and that's the far more common cause of screen tearing.

You have to have your framerate go pretty damn high over your monitor's refresh rate before tearing occurs.

Okay, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks.

Although, you'd think it would be simpler just to wait and output the frame when it's ready, but I guess that leads to framerate drops and slideshows.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
#57kingofjamaicaPosted 2/2/2013 10:28:56 AM
Although, you'd think it would be simpler just to wait and output the frame when it's ready, but I guess that leads to framerate drops and slideshows.

That's what v-sync does. It forces the GPU to only output fully rendered frames. That's why in a scene that would normally tear, you get a significant drop in framerate while using v-sync without triple buffering it.
---
#58kobalobasileusPosted 2/2/2013 11:19:06 AM
Epicness2012 posted...
As long as there isn't constant noticeable slowdowns, i stop caring about frame rate

This. The only time framerate even crosses my mind is when slowdown is involved.
#59JoveHackPosted 2/2/2013 2:25:23 PM
kingofjamaica posted...

That's what v-sync does. It forces the GPU to only output fully rendered frames. That's why in a scene that would normally tear, you get a significant drop in framerate while using v-sync without triple buffering it.

Thinking about it, the solution is for the monitor/TV to have adjustable framerate. The console notifies the TV when it's got a frame to go, then ships it. True V-sync instead of half-working backwards implemented V-sync.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
#60faris_ruhiPosted 2/2/2013 3:16:55 PM
Epicness2012 posted...
As long as there isn't constant noticeable slowdowns, i stop caring about frame rate

This. The only time framerate even crosses my mind is when slowdown is involved.

---
PSN: SYRAPH , GT: TheRealSyraph
Backlog on hold. Currently playing: Halo 4