This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else think FFXIII's world is very bland?

#1Zora_PrincePosted 2/1/2013 8:20:16 PM
In comparison to VII, VIII, IX, X, and XII, it just feels so dull. Very clean, sterile, sci-fi world. The characters are very anime-like and that isn't appealing either. Another problem was the lack of towns and exploration, making the world feel very shallow and empty.

I'm still early on in FFXIII-2. I was really excited when I was finally getting lost exploring, but was furious to discover that apparently, that's one of two places which you can get lost -_-

Why did we have to get a trilogy in that world instead of FFXII's world? FFXII had the greatest art direction in the series ;_;
---
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
#2OEIO999Posted 2/1/2013 8:22:41 PM(edited)
I think the whole game is bland, never mind the world
#3sicko26usPosted 2/1/2013 8:24:05 PM
Everyone who has played it thinks that.
---
Motomu Toriyama is the worst writer in the history of video games, if you agree add this quote.
#4BeknessPosted 2/1/2013 8:34:59 PM
I'm still early on in FFXIII-2. I was really excited when I was finally getting lost exploring, but was furious to discover that apparently, that's one of two places which you can get lost -_-

I was getting annoyed at the time traveling. Some of the places you had to visit so many times.

Everyone who has played it thinks that.

Also that
---
Never gonna give you up
#5ThamauturgePosted 2/1/2013 8:40:23 PM
Why did we have to get a trilogy in that world instead of FFXII's world? FFXII had the greatest art direction in the series ;_;

Indeed. I weep for what could have been. Such a shame that the innovation, exploration, open world, and design of Ivalice was abandoned after FFXII.

Hopefully Ito is in charge of FFXV. He along with Tetsuya Nomura could flat out save the series from the wrath of Motomu Toriyama and Yoichi Wada.
---
Vayne Solidor of the DD012FF Board
Currently playing: Persona 4: Golden, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
#6star_guy_100Posted 2/1/2013 8:42:50 PM
i agree completely. i hated almost everything about it but i thought the same about the world and environments. they looked nice, as far as graphics go. but what tc said are pretty good ways to describe it, sterile, clean. its kind of silly to talk about souls and video games, but the best way i can think to describe the world is soulless. they were really horrible to travel through.
#7overmaxxPosted 2/1/2013 8:43:26 PM
What world?
#8AstroshakPosted 2/1/2013 8:48:34 PM
The "bland" factor really comes from not being able to interact with NPC's, and only being able to run down one hallway after another after another.

FF13-2 at least had NPC's to interact with, but as someone said, it got annoying going back to the same spots at different eras due to the time travel aspect of the game.

That said .. I found the presentation of the world bland, for that reason - but I did not find the world itself bland. I don't like how small an area of the world we are actually allowed to see; but what we can see and what we can learn of the world's history is rather interesting, and somewhat alarming. The intent, I suppose, is to express that Pulse is devoid of *any* human civilization, which was all converted into either corpses or l'cie and then cie'th, and that there is thus no reason to visit any more of Pulse than the very small area of it we actually do see. The implications of just what the fal'cie are capable of, if they really did convert and thus destroy the entirety of humanity on Pulse, leaving only Cocoon, really does not bode well for humanity, as evidenced by one portion of FF13-2.
#9AstroshakPosted 2/1/2013 8:50:10 PM
Thamauturge posted...

Indeed. I weep for what could have been. Such a shame that the innovation, exploration, open world, and design of Ivalice was abandoned after FFXII.

Hopefully Ito is in charge of FFXV. He along with Tetsuya Nomura could flat out save the series from the wrath of Motomu Toriyama and Yoichi Wada.

We already have a set of three games in the FF12 world, Ivalice .. FF12, FFT, Vagrant Story.
#10PangLaPosted 2/1/2013 8:56:09 PM
Isn't Versus set in the same world too?